Crazy Things Done in Depression/Loneliness

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 4:56 pm

Have you ever done anything considered crazy or suicidal because of depression, loneliness, or similar problems? For example, back in college, I would sometimes walk out in front of cars at night. I didn't necessarily want to be hit, but at the time, I was too apathetic to care about my own life one way or the other. Has anyone else had similarly bad experiences?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 4:58 pm

I used to hitchhike.

PsychonautChaos
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2008, 4:59 pm

Hey I did exactly the same thing (the thing with cars) when I was in elementary school.

Believe me, people did much, much worse things. Things that hurt them, and still are hurting them to this day, and might be hurting them for the rest of their life.

It's pretty normal, since depression by one theory is basically just agression directed against yourself, coupled with a wanting to die. Such behavior is normal considering the circumstances.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 6:12 pm

I took an overdose once with the intention of killing myself. It was stupid but I didn't do any physical damage and learned a lot from it.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 7:25 pm

I slit my wrists when I was 14. I feel so ashamed about it now... But at least I don't have any scars.

I also came dangerously close to hanging myself with a belt, but my mom called out to me when I sat down to write the suicide note, so it was never actually attempted.

sim
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 7:34 pm

Pills and alcohol?

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 8:21 pm

I once went to an el (elevated rapid transit) station near where I lived. I stood on the platform, waiting for the right moment to get on the tracks, stand with my feet on the main rails, and grab the third rail with my hands. I must have stood there for at least 20 minutes, and three trains went by during that time. At the end, I chickened out, got on the next train, and rode one stop just to avoid looking suspicious. I walked home from the next station. Ironically, I was more afraid of not succeeding and somehow getting seriously injured or disabled as a result.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 8:38 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
I once went to an el (elevated rapid transit) station near where I lived. I stood on the platform, waiting for the right moment to get on the tracks, stand with my feet on the main rails, and grab the third rail with my hands. I must have stood there for at least 20 minutes, and three trains went by during that time. At the end, I chickened out, got on the next train, and rode one stop just to avoid looking suspicious. I walked home from the next station. Ironically, I was more afraid of not succeeding and somehow getting seriously injured or disabled as a result.

I've read a lot of stories about failed suicides and this scared me out of ever attempting anything like that again. The idea of being disabled makes me very scared indeed.

Jael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2008, 8:47 pm

In a lonely moment I went and had the word "ALONE" tatooed on the inside of my left wrist. I still like my tatt, so I am not sure that qualifies as "crazy". :)

chocoholic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2008, 8:58 pm

I would cut myself as a teenager, mostly due to not being able to adequately express my feelings. Fortunately the scars from it are pretty much gone now.

SIXLUCY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 9:01 pm

I'm so sad
just way too sad :cry: :cry: :cry:
Cry Cry Cry
NOT
:evil: :evil: :evil:

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 9:10 pm

I jumped in front of a car, broke both legs and totaled the car, that was when I was 13, and in a home for delinquent kids, wasn't a good place for me, as I was trying to get away from the older bully's who were torturing me, saw it as a way to get out of that place.

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2008, 9:14 pm

Edit: Never mind, wrong thread. Sorry.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 10:13 pm

This happened when I was about 16 and severely depressed, after I stopped going to school. After fighting with my parents I left the house without a coat, ran into a dark area of woods, and laid down in the snow. I stayed in the snow for probably an hour and didn’t answer when my parents called for me. I got very wet and nearly hypothermic but somehow walking around in the dark shivering uncontrollably was a good distraction from the pain of depression.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 10:22 pm

spudnik wrote:
I jumped in front of a car, broke both legs and totaled the car, that was when I was 13, and in a home for delinquent kids, wasn't a good place for me, as I was trying to get away from the older bully's who were torturing me, saw it as a way to get out of that place.

Wow you actually had the nerve to do that! I laid down in the street once hoping to get hit by a car but lost my nerve and got up plus the friends I had at the time were trying to get me to move and I moved for them.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 11:09 pm

SIXLUCY wrote:
I'm so sad
just way too sad :cry: :cry: :cry:
Cry Cry Cry
NOT
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Mockery is not constructive.