Page 7 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 3:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
Creationism vs. Evolution - Either you believe that God created Man out of clay, or you believe that Man evolved from slime.

You speak of one specific interpretation of Genesis that is not shared by most Christians and is not even historically or theologically supported very well. Thank you for the strawman.

Quote:
Big Bang vs. Genesis - Either you believe that the universe originated from a quantum fluctuation, or that God spoke it into existance.

Again, a worthless strawman.

Quote:
Trans-substantiation vs. Con-substantiation - Either you believe that the Wafer and the Wine become the incorruptible Body and Blood of Christ, or you believe the evidence of a sigmoidoscopy.

I'm not Catholic, but I think it's considered more of a metaphorical/spiritual transformation than a literal one. Verdict: another strawman, and even if it wasn't it would be irrelevant to me.

Quote:
Thank you for your explanation, however.

You've failed to catch me in any contradiction or inaccuracy. Try again.

Last edited by Orwell on 30 Jul 2008, 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 3:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
nightbender wrote:
you missed the point prayer of any time is observable.

so what's the control for that test?

Somebody prayed, and something happened.

Other than that, nada.

so then there's no way to tell what actually happened. just a few thousand different variables and picking what one you want to be the cause.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 4:49 pm

michel wrote:
nightbender wrote:
what your complaining about is something called society. In every society there are norms whether or not those norms seem fair they serve some purpose. And in every society those norms are enforced. be grateful you dont live in a country where they hang people for homosexual activity.

I myself have experience ostrascivism and unfair treatment for a variety of things many wich i cant change and couldnt help. but i dont go around getting pissed over people who dont get me.

OK, wait a minute, we're not talking about hooligans yelling "Dirty fa***t" from their noisy cars as they speed by a gay club, or even being denied a job or advancement in your company for being gay. We're talking about your own parents rejecting you and making you feel absolutely worthless and disgusting once they found out about your homosexuality. We're also talking about your local priest, who you see every Sunday and who positioned himself as the moral arbiter of your world, the spiritual pillar of your community, telling you you're no longer welcome in the society that was once your whole world. So yeah, I think I had a right to be pissed off at them once I got back on my feet and got a real perspective on things.

As for saying I should be grateful to live in a country where they don't hang me, sorry, that doesn't cut it. That's like saying to a black person in the 60's :"Oh, sorry, you can't marry a white person, but look at it on the bright side, at least no one is lynching you or using you as their slave :P " (marriage between two races was only made legal in the States in 1968)

We won't solve this issue until homosexuality becomes a non-issue in all aspects of life.

i have something worse than gay.
a mental health diagnossis
i have my parents tell lies about me to have me locked up and kept locked up.
i have had my father and brother kick the s**t out me for suffering and me expressing myself and daring to ask for help.
i have had every last one of my consititutional civil and human rights violated
i have had my health ruined, brought to brink of true insanity, had my cognitive function destroyed, been brought to the brink of death.. i been treated like i was stupid, didnt know whats going on with me, and dont know whats good for.
and now i have be afraid that if ever get pissed at someone they are gonna make a phone call and it will start all over again. God forbid i have a meltdown.

I have had clergy tell me get lost go talk to your doctor when i tried to talk about some real intense spiruatal expereinces. I have had my parents do that to me too.
do i go around hating my parents, police doctors hospitals, no. its simply the natural of beast. so dont expect any sympathy from me until you been held down and forcibly injected with thorazine simple because of who you are.

its really annoying that various minorities groups think that their path to empowerment or equallity or whatever is to take a giant sledge hammer to the larger society.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 5:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
nightbender wrote:
the first one is an apriori truth

"A Priori" is a Latin term that literally means "From Before." It is used as an adjective to mean that the idea is either (1) known previously, (2) based on an hypothesis, rather than an actual experiment; or (3) based in intuition alone.

In other words, an assumption. You have assumed that "negative spiritual forces exist." Assuming that something is true does not make it the truth. To believe otherwise is wrong. And if your statement is previously known as "truth," then please cite your sources ... and hope that they are not as fallible as the Bible.

nightbender wrote:
the second is simple a catiergorical issue

Believing in the science-based Theory of Evolution is heresy to fundamentalist Christianity. This is not a categorical issue. To believe otherwise is wrong.

nightbender wrote:
And the third look up Dr Emotos water experiments where buddhism monks prayed over water and the prays change the molecular composition of the water.

First, Masaru Emoto claims his research paper has been submitted to 150 peer-reviewed journals. There is not one published submission to an accredited US peer-reviewed scientific journal. The only published work of his is in The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine (Volume 10, Number 1, 2004 pp. 19-21, "Healing With Water by Masaru Emoto, M.D."). Although this is a peer-reviewed journal, it is not an accredited and scientific peer-reviewed journal. Also, his particular entry was not actually reviewed as it was not submitted as a scientific article, but only as a photo essay - comparable in quality to a high school science project.

Second, every water molecule is composed of one Oxygen atom and two Hydrogen atoms. Change this composition and it is no longer water.

Third, Emoto graduated from Yokohama Municipal University with courses in International Relations, and in 1992 he received certification as a Doctor of Alternative Medicine from the Open International University for Alternative Medicine in India, an unaccredited institute with minimal academic requirements.

Fourth, Emoto uses insufficient experimental controls, does not share enough details of his approach with the scientific community to warrant further study, and does not design his experiments in ways to eliminate human error

Fifth, the creativity of the photographers, rather than the rigor of the experiment, is an explicit policy of Emoto's protocols.

Sixth, Emoto freely acknowledges that he is not a scientist, and that photographers are instructed to select the most pleasing photographs.

Finally, Kristopher Setchfield, (BA, Health Science) from Castleton State College (Natural Science Department) in Vermont has made a paper called "Review and Analysis of Dr. Masaru Emoto’s Published Work on the Effects of External Stimuli on the Structural Formation of Ice Crystals," wherein he states: "It is this crucial lack of scientific foundation that prevents Dr. Emoto’s work from attracting interest by widely accepted and respected scientists at long-standing research institutions. This is unfortunate for the world if there is, after all, truth to his claims--as reproduction of his results by any scientist would lend much credence to his work. A little change in Emoto’s experimental design would do great things for the credibility of his claims. I recommend the following to ground his work in sound scientific principle:

· Eliminate the possibility of the scientist’s bias affecting the experiment’s results by implementing double blind procedures.
· Publish the entire collection of photos for all water sample tests that he has performed, not just the ones that support his claim.
· Minimize the sources of possible error in his procedures, such as variation in temperature and humidity between sample.
· Pay more attention to the time-tested methods of the scientific community rather than disregarding them. Emoto’s research could go much farther if he could interest scientists around the world in testing his hypothesis.

After the lengthy review of Emoto’s research methods and results, I have come to believe that Dr. Emoto is offering pseudoscience to the masses in the guise of defensible research. Only time and review by others will tell if there is any truth at the heart of Mr. Emoto’s claims, as Emoto himself thoroughly believes in his findings but does not value the scientific method or community. What is truly fearsome is the great numbers of people that accept his words as proven facts without looking deeper to find out if his claims are truly justified. While I respect Dr. Emoto’s desire to save the Earth’s water from contamination and pollution, unless he can produce a scientific paper and get it published in a scientific journal, I believe that he will continue to be ignored by the scientific community, and his claims will never be soundly proved or disproved.
"

Dr. Emoto is practicing Pseudo-Science. Pseudo-Science is false science. Only those who are too lazy to look deeper into pseudo-scientific claims, or who are ignorant of the true nature of science will believe such claims. This makes their beliefs wrong.

nightbender wrote:
i win

No.

I win - Game, Set, and Match.

rematch an apriori truth is truth before the facts, ie all bachealors are single
and while i admit his work is prelimary
technology has not advanced suffienctyl to measure all phenonomnen
and certain phenonema dont neccessarily lend themselves to the rigors of the scientfic method(such as the effect of combination herbal medicines) but none the less work and are later proven to be correct using much more inovative methods.

you never appartlently took high school chem where demonstrated water regulorly forms
structures such as O2h5-
draw

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 5:16 pm

Orwell wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Creationism vs. Evolution - Either you believe that God created Man out of clay, or you believe that Man evolved from slime.

You speak of one specific interpretation of Genesis that is not shared by most Christians and is not even historically or theologically supported very well. Thank you for the strawman.

Quote:
Big Bang vs. Genesis - Either you believe that the universe originated from a quantum fluctuation, or that God spoke it into existance.

Again, a worthless strawman.

Quote:
Trans-substantiation vs. Con-substantiation - Either you believe that the Wafer and the Wine become the incorruptible Body and Blood of Christ, or you believe the evidence of a sigmoidoscopy.

I'm not Catholic, but I think it's considered more of a metaphorical/spiritual transformation than a literal one. Verdict: another strawman, and even if it wasn't it would be irrelevant to me.

Quote:
Thank you for your explanation, however.

You've failed to catch me in any contradiction or inaccuracy. Try again.

Orwell, the simple fact that there are Christians who share a specific and/or literal interpretation of Genesis regardless of its historical or theological support, and that there are many Catholics who actually believe that the prayers of a priest somehow changes bread and wine into flesh and blood invalidates your citing of a "Strawman" fallacy.

However, given that there are also many Christians who are either of the opposite opinions or completely ambivalent to either issue does indicate that I may have committed a Compositional Fallacy, wherein the conclusion of an argument depends on an erroneous characteristic from parts of something to the whole or vice versa.

On another topic, I had to do some digging to come up with a clearer picture of a Categorical Fallacy. Please tell me if you agree...

A Categorical fallacy occurs when an attempt is made to place thing 'A' (some concept, idea, or entity) into some category, set, or group to which it could truthfully belong to only if it were 'Not-A'. It is also to believe that thing 'A' can belong to a set composed only of members of 'Not-A'.

Examples:

1) Claiming that a faith-base concept is logical (i.e., "Something must have created the universe, so it is only logical that God did it").

2) Claiming or implying that a concept can be registered by the physical senses, or that two unrelated things have common characteristics (i.e., "What does the color red taste like?").

3) Confusing the nature or essence of a thing with the purpose or function of the thing (e.g., The nature of a knife is defined by its composition, while its purpose is to carve).

4) Assuming that a change in context of a thing implies a change in its nature (e.g., A knife is still a knife, whether it is used to carve or it is displayed as a museum piece).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2008, 5:23 pm

What I think is weird is that the paragraph condemning homosexuality is on the same page of the Old Testament as the paragraph condemning crop rotation.

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 5:25 pm

its also why i can just keep my head above water other wise be kicking tushy here.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 6:30 pm

nightbender wrote:
rematch an apriori truth is truth before the facts, ie all bachealors are single

A Priori Fallacies (From The Encyclopedia of Philosophy): "Under the heading of a priori fallacies Mill listed a number of natural prejudices, including the popular superstition that words have a magical power and such philosophical dogmas as that which is true of our ideas of things must be true of the things themselves; that differences in nature must correspond to our received (linguistic) distinctions; that whatever is, is rationally explicable; that there is no action at a distance; that every phenomenon has a single cause; and that effects must resemble their causes. These are all errors, but we can go further and recognize a general apriorist fallacy, which consists in trying to base knowledge of fundamental synthetic truths on anything other than empirical evidence."

In other words. "A Priori Fallacies" are generally used when somone asserts an argument that is not based on facts. Your stated definition is of the "Sweeping Generalization" fallacy.

nightbender wrote:
and while i admit his work is prelimary

Emoto's work is not good enough to be considered preliminary, as he relies solely on esthetics of photographs to support his assertions.

nightbender wrote:
technology has not advanced suffienctyl to measure all phenonomnen

Technology is sufficiently advanced to determine the chemical composition and crystalline structure of any substance.

nightbender wrote:
and certain phenonema dont neccessarily lend themselves to the rigors of the scientfic method

The Scientific Method is specific to the elimination of delusion, error, and fraud. This is why Emoto avoids its use.

Scientific equipment is specific to the measurement of phenomena. Emoto relies instead on conjecture, fantasy, opinion, and wishful thinking - there is nothing particularly innovative in his methods.

nightbender wrote:
you never appartlently took high school chem where demonstrated water regulorly forms
structures such as O2h5-

I took two years of high school chemistry, plus one year of biology, and one year of physics. Algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and the calculus were my math classes.

In college, I took two years of Chemistry, two years of Physics, two years of the Philosophy of Logic, and more algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and the Calculus.

I hold a BSEE degree, and am a member of the IEEE and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

Hydroxyl is HO.
Water is H2O.
Hydrogen Peroxide is H2O2.
The Rydberg Double Anions are OH3 and O2H5.

Adding or subtracting atoms from a molecule makes it into different substances, each with different properties.

nightbender wrote:
draw

Kid, you're not even in the competition.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 9:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
Yet, they both address the same question: "What is the origin of life, the universe, and everything?"
Actually religion and science both focus primarily on other things. They may both have some concern with ultimate origins, but in different, and mostly non-overlapping ways.

Quote:
Man evolved from prior existing organisms, not slime. Although, if that's taken metaphorically, it works. But, taken metaphorically, slime, clay, mud -- they're all the same. And if God decided to make Man via an evolutionary process, then these two things are exactly equivalent.

Quote:
I don't believe that the big bang can be truly understood in the abscence of a theory of quantum gravity. Which we don't have.

Also, you have not explained how these two things are contradictory. "Let there be light -- and there was light." Sounds like a poetic description of the big bang to me.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 10:02 pm

qaliqo wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:
You want someone to round up all the bigots and shoot them? Who gets to decide the definition of bigotry then? If it's me, you'd better be careful -- I'd probably say that anyone who wants to line up bigots and shoot them is a bigot. :twisted:

The definition decides the definition. :roll:

If anti-bigot is a type of bigot, then anti-Christ is a type of Christ, and anti-freeze is a freezing agent. Merriam Webster offers bigot as "a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance". Taking the second part first, bigot is not a recognized group by anyone because an Israeli who hates Palestinians and a Palestinian who hates Israelis do not identify with the other, and without identity, it is not a group, so rounding up people like me (anti-bigots) would be bigoted, but rounding up bigots would not. As for the first, more important part, my opinions and prejudices are kept to a minimum and changed based on evidence; for example, I have over the years reversed position on illegal immigration, abortion, teen driving, etcetera. An otherwise open-minded person does not become close-minded for not being open-minded about being close-minded.
You and I do not identify with one another, but we are both members of WP. Your argument that "anti-bigots" aren't bigots by twisting the definition of a group fails.

In any case, I wasn't trying to be taken too literally. I just wanted to point out that there is a fundamental problem with your idea (besides it being immoral). It doesn't define bigot, and the dictionary definition would include the perpetrators of the massacre as victims.

WRT open- vs. closed-mindedness: there is no real moral problem with being relatively more or less flexible with your opinions. In any case, if you are advancing closed-mindedness as an alternative for bigotry, keep in mind that you haven't defined that either. And that you seem to be pretty closed-minded about this. ;)

WRT reversed positions: if someone who otherwise would fit into the "closed-minded" or "bigoted" slots had changed their mind on immigration and teen driving, would that mean they don't get shot now?

But fundamentally, my main problem with your idea is that it resembles Hitler's idea about the Jews. Basically, he decided that he had a problem with a certain group of people, and that they should be rounded up and shot. So that's what he did.

qaliqo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2008, 12:11 am

Ancalagon wrote:
You and I do not identify with one another, but we are both members of WP. Your argument that "anti-bigots" aren't bigots by twisting the definition of a group fails.

I identify with you as a member of WP. Furthermore, never argued that the definition of a group excluded anti-bigots from being bigots, argued that the definition of "anti-" is a null set if it includes the suffixed term; anti-x = not x.

Ancalagon wrote:
I just wanted to point out that there is a fundamental problem with your idea (besides it being immoral). It doesn't define bigot, and the dictionary definition would include the perpetrators of the massacre as victims.

Then find a word that can be defined satisfactorily, if the one offered is inadequate. The definition of group specified "as a racial or ethnic group", and since bigot is not a group in that sense, one could not be a bigot for treating them with hatred or intolerance. In this case, it is love and tolerance for all people that dictates the intolerant and hateful be rounded up and shot. Eliminating those who actively support hatred and intolerance is very moral, as it benefits everyone else.

Ancalagon wrote:
WRT open- vs. closed-mindedness: there is no real moral problem with being relatively more or less flexible with your opinions. In any case, if you are advancing closed-mindedness as an alternative for bigotry, keep in mind that you haven't defined that either. And that you seem to be pretty closed-minded about this. ;)

OMG. Was explicitly advancing open-mindedness; obvious now that cognitive dissonance has caused responses to an esoteric interpretation of statements advancing open-mindedness as a mandate, not a choice. Inflexibility of views is a moral issue, as it is this inflexibility that leads to open, uncontrolled violence -- terrorism, wars, and genocide.

Ancalagon wrote:
WRT reversed positions: if someone who otherwise would fit into the "closed-minded" or "bigoted" slots had changed their mind on immigration and teen driving, would that mean they don't get shot now?

Don't think either of those issues rises to the level of bigotry, again the point was missed. Point was that holding opinions or prejudices is poor form in the first place, only to be accepted in the absence of useful data supporting a factual conclusion on the issue. Bigots are by definition inflexible (close-minded) on the target of their bigotry, ergo do not accept useful data if the factual conclusion does not agree with the prejudice. Racists believe that Africans are more closely related to cro-magnons than humans, sexists believe that women are incapable of reasoning, zealots believe that Muslims are agents of Satan trying to destroy God's people, and homophobes believe that homosexuality is a choice. Were one of these people to change his or her mind on the issue in question, yes, it would mean they don't need to be shot. For that matter, given the basic rights of the accused, no one who held a bigoted view privately, without speaking it, would ever be at risk unless grosser actions of prejudice were displayed.

Ancalagon wrote:
But fundamentally, my main problem with your idea is that it resembles Hitler's idea about the Jews. Basically, he decided that he had a problem with a certain group of people, and that they should be rounded up and shot. So that's what he did.

There we have it! Not that the idea wouldn't benefit the 90%+ who are not bigots, not that killing a human is absolutely immoral under all circumstance, but that it very loosely resembles Nazi (blaming Hitler and not the poor Germans who physically rounded them up and killed them?) actions against Jews, Roma, homosexuals, and Christians who opposed the Reich. The difference is that none of those groups openly promulgated hatred for others based on genetic or cultural qualities. Bigotry is not a culture, race, gender, age group, sexual orientation, religion, or political group. Suppose the only protected group left to be claimed is that bigots are mentally disabled in open-mindedness and tolerance. If we should let them live because they are disabled, this conversation has continued merit. Otherwise, still unconvinced that killing the hatemongers is wrong on an individual or societal level.

One more thing: In total agreement about the whole evolution v. creation thing being inane, a short and sweet summary of the whole silly mess. So I also identify with you as someone who gets the truth about God and being. :idea:

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 8:48 pm

qaliqo wrote:
I identify with you as a member of WP.
Likewise. In case it isn't clear elsewhere -- I'm objecting to your opinions, not you.

Quote:
Furthermore, never argued that the definition of a group excluded anti-bigots from being bigots, argued that the definition of "anti-" is a null set if it includes the suffixed term; anti-x = not x.
Non- and Anti- mean different things. For example: a non-scientist is not neccesarily anti-science.

Quote:
Then find a word that can be defined satisfactorily, if the one offered is inadequate. The definition of group specified "as a racial or ethnic group", and since bigot is not a group in that sense, one could not be a bigot for treating them with hatred or intolerance. In this case, it is love and tolerance for all people that dictates the intolerant and hateful be rounded up and shot. Eliminating those who actively support hatred and intolerance is very moral, as it benefits everyone else.
The problem isn't so much with the definition of the word being vague as the concept behind it. You used several words and phrases to refer to this concept, but it's too vague. You talk about closed-mindedness and make it sound like inflexibility of opinion is what you want to shoot people for, then you talk about bigotry, and refer to ethnic groups, then you talk about hating. These various things may overlap occasionally, but they aren't the same.

I think quibbling over what does or doesn't count as a group, ignoring what the word group normally means, is silly.

If benefit to the majority is what makes morality moral, then Hitler's genocide was moral. After all, all the personal posessions that were stolen, all the gold teeth ripped from people's heads -- all of it became other people's personal possesions, thus benefiting them financially. Besides, according to Hitler, the Jews were just dragging everyone else down anyway.

Quote:
OMG. Was explicitly advancing open-mindedness; obvious now that cognitive dissonance has caused responses to an esoteric interpretation of statements advancing open-mindedness as a mandate, not a choice. Inflexibility of views is a moral issue, as it is this inflexibility that leads to open, uncontrolled violence -- terrorism, wars, and genocide.
If the penalty for being closed-minded is being shot, that *is* a mandate.

Inflexibility of views may have a statistical correlation of some kind with violence, but so do many other things. Like being male. Want to make ownership of a penis punishable by death?

Quote:
Don't think either of those issues rises to the level of bigotry, again the point was missed.
Well what *does* rise to that level?

Quote:
Point was that holding opinions or prejudices is poor form in the first place, only to be accepted in the absence of useful data supporting a factual conclusion on the issue.
In my opinion, having an opinion is a good thing. What's your opinion? :wink:

Quote:
Bigots are by definition inflexible (close-minded) on the target of their bigotry, ergo do not accept useful data if the factual conclusion does not agree with the prejudice. Racists believe that Africans are more closely related to cro-magnons than humans,
That sounds at least vaguely plausible -- Africa is the birthplace of humanity, thus it could be argued that they retain certain genetic aspects, making them more closely related to cro-magnons than average for a human. I wouldn't say that makes them less or even substantially different, but that may be my anti-racist bias speaking, rather than a rational opinion. And I'm unwilling to change my mind about this -- quite closed-minded, as a matter of fact. So should I be shot for closed-mindedness, or for forming an opinion without sufficient rational basis?

Quote:
sexists believe that women are incapable of reasoning,
Anti-female sexists believe that women are capable of reasoning -- just to a lesser degree. Again, there is scientific evidence that females, on average, have a lesser spatial reasoning ability than males. I might counter that, on average, females are better at verbal reasoning and multitasking. They might counter that scientific reasoning relies more on spatial reasoning than verbal, so males are still better. Without time to research it and create a counter-argument, I am left with no rational basis for my opinion. Thus I have once again proven myself worthy of being shot, since I am being both irrational and inflexible.

Quote:
zealots believe that Muslims are agents of Satan trying to destroy God's people,
Do you mean zionists? Regardless, there is even more evidence for this point of view. The Quran and the hadith both, IIRC, authorize holy war (jihad, or "struggle") to spread Islam. Also, there are quite a few unflattering references to Jews, due to Mohammed's being opposed by a group of them. Throughout history, Muslims have, according to Islamic law, treated Jews and Christians as somewhat second-class citizens, and forbidden them to proseletyze.

This is not exactly my view, however, but I think this view is very easily supported by a number of Quran quotations, as well as the history of a very large fraction of the world over the past 1400 years or so. I base my dissention from this view on my friendship with a Muslim about a decade ago. He was quite a nice guy and we got along quite well. Again, my view is supported less with facts than with prejudice, and I am not willing to change it lightly.

Quote:
and homophobes believe that homosexuality is a choice.
I object to the useless, meaningless, frivolous, and thoughroughly stupid word "homophobe". Please see my rant earlier in this thread for details, if you care.

In the last couple of years, I've come down to the conclusion that sexual orientation probably isn't flexible enough to be changed. I came to this conclusion based mostly on the fact that the arguments from one side seemed more coherent than the other side. Of course, I didn't really listen to the contents of the arguments, or look at any scientific evidence at all. I have no solid evidence for my conclusion at all. I am quite mystified that you think this is a thouroughly settled question, with no scientific dissent or even room for doubt.

In any case, *every* sexual act (homosexual or otherwise) involves a choice, with the obvious exception of rape (which doesn't really affect the question we're dealing with). This bit doesn't belong with the others, at least not worded as it is.

Quote:
Were one of these people to change his or her mind on the issue in question, yes, it would mean they don't need to be shot.
When you started talking about rounding up people and shooting them, I was expecting something like the Holocaust. I wasn't expecting the Spainish Inquisition. But then Nobody expects the Spainish Inquisition! :D

What do you do to make sure the conversion is genuine? Torture them a bit? What if there's the slightest doubt in your mind that they may not be telling the truth? More torture? Or execution? What if a wife shows up and begs for mercy? Do you tell her that it's really in society's best interest to torture and/or kill her husband, because he is a dirty bigot, and thus susceptible to a statistical likelihood that he might one day insult someone for no adequate reason, or even offend someone? Or does she get tossed into the dungeon too, for being a dirty bigot-lover?

Quote:
For that matter, given the basic rights of the accused, no one who held a bigoted view privately, without speaking it, would ever be at risk unless grosser actions of prejudice were displayed.
Rights of the accused? In a pogrom? This isn't the trial of a single individual; according to your definitions so far, the numbers would number in the tens, if not hundreds of millions in the US alone. A really loose definition could catch everybody. (And you thought that prisons were crowded now! :o )

Quote:
There we have it! Not that the idea wouldn't benefit the 90%+ who are not bigots, not that killing a human is absolutely immoral under all circumstance, but that it very loosely resembles Nazi (blaming Hitler and not the poor Germans who physically rounded them up and killed them?) actions against Jews, Roma, homosexuals, and Christians who opposed the Reich. The difference is that none of those groups openly promulgated hatred for others based on genetic or cultural qualities. Bigotry is not a culture, race, gender, age group, sexual orientation, religion, or political group. Suppose the only protected group left to be claimed is that bigots are mentally disabled in open-mindedness and tolerance. If we should let them live because they are disabled, this conversation has continued merit. Otherwise, still unconvinced that killing the hatemongers is wrong on an individual or societal level.
Societal level? As in, say, Iran? As in, "Bomb, bomb, bomb, Bomb, bomb, Iran", except not as a joke?

Individual level? So, lynch mobs are okay? As long as they tell people that it was only bigots that they were viciously murdering in their orgy of hate?

So ethnic cleansing isn't okay, but ideological cleansing is?

Defining which groups can and can't be discriminated against doesn't differentiate you from Hitler. According to Hitler, discriminating against Jews is okay, discriminating against Aryans is not. Discriminating against non-Nazi political parties was fine by Hitler, discriminating against Nazis was not.

In my view, saying "persons in category X should be rounded up and shot" is wrong for all values of X.

qaliqo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2008, 4:18 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
Furthermore, never argued that the definition of a group excluded anti-bigots from being bigots, argued that the definition of "anti-" is a null set if it includes the suffixed term; anti-x = not x.Non- and Anti- mean different things. For example: a non-scientist is not neccesarily anti-science.

No, but an anti-scientist is necessarily a non-scientist. Not all non-bigots are anti-bigot, but all anti-bigots are non-bigot. Was pointing to inclusion in the explicit definition, not a totality of the term.

Quote:
I think quibbling over what does or doesn't count as a group, ignoring what the word group normally means, is silly.

Of course it would be, were the very definition of the term bigot not to hang on a qualified use of the term; the alternative is to use "group" to describe "more than one", in which case someone who was intolerant of mass murderers would be a bigot, too.

Quote:
If benefit to the majority is what makes morality moral, then Hitler's genocide was moral. After all, all the personal posessions that were stolen, all the gold teeth ripped from people's heads -- all of it became other people's personal possesions, thus benefiting them financially. Besides, according to Hitler, the Jews were just dragging everyone else down anyway.

The country of Germany was destroyed, not to be restored, somewhat intact, until 45 years after Hitler's death. The majority suffered horribly, as intellectual, political, and social freedoms were rolled over in service to a war that left a nation relatively devoid of young males for the second time in as many generations. How Hitler's bigotry plays into the discussion of killing bigots is beyond me, unless all Jews were bigoted against non-Jews, which they weren't and aren't.

Quote:
If the penalty for being closed-minded is being shot, that *is* a mandate.

No, the being shot is a social judgment. The mandate to being open-minded is from morality: being close-minded leads to immorality. Never suggested that close-mindedness was sufficient cause for execution, anyway. If a counter-example is available, where being close-minded leads to moral behavior, would be delighted to hear it.

Inflexibility of views may have a statistical correlation of some kind with violence, but so do many other things.

This is not about statistical correlation, this is about causation. Like fuel, oxygen, and ignition being requisite to combustion, close-mindedness is a necessary part of anti-social (immoral) violence - it is the fuel, hatred is the oxygen, and incitement is the ignition. As for being shot headwise, all incitement, some hatred, and little or no close-mindedness qualifies.

Quote:
Well what *does* rise to that level?

The definition of the word "bigot" includes those to whom it applies. Certainly those who espouse hatred, incite violence, and teach intolerance rise to that level; as previously stated, one's thoughts are one's own, inviolable.

Quote:
In my opinion, having an opinion is a good thing. What's your opinion? :wink:

Don't have an opinion; best evidence suggests that opinions are between held by most, with effects ranging from worthless to counter-productive. Explanation of a positive value to opinion is in order, and beseeched.

Quote:
That sounds at least vaguely plausible -- Africa is the birthplace of humanity, thus it could be argued that they retain certain genetic aspects, making them more closely related to cro-magnons than average for a human.

It is not plausible, and cannot be rationally argued; this is why opinion is to be avoided whenever possible. Africans are homo sapiens sapiens, genetically speaking, and no more related to cro-magnon than any other human. To take it as fact, or article of faith, is an act of bigotry. To teach this, at least doubly so.
Quote:
I wouldn't say that makes them less or even substantially different, but that may be my anti-racist bias speaking, rather than a rational opinion. And I'm unwilling to change my mind about this -- quite closed-minded, as a matter of fact. So should I be shot for closed-mindedness, or for forming an opinion without sufficient rational basis?

Of course not. How absurdist. It isn't a bias, and it isn't an opinion, Africans are not less or substantially different than non-Africans. Further, being unwilling to adopt the false over the demonstrably true is not, and can never be, close-minded. Open-mindedness only applies to things that can actually be; one cannot be open-minded about resisting gravity by will alone.

Quote:
Anti-female sexists believe that women are capable of reasoning -- just to a lesser degree. Again, there is scientific evidence that females, on average, have a lesser spatial reasoning ability than males. I might counter that, on average, females are better at verbal reasoning and multitasking. They might counter that scientific reasoning relies more on spatial reasoning than verbal, so males are still better.

Science is not the beginning and end of reasoning, is it? Science deals with that which is demonstrably true -- testable in reproducible situations. One can accept the weight of science as is, without adding personal opinion to the mix, and not be sexist, racist, etcetera. None of the proposals lead to the sexist conclusion that women are less fully human, unless a series of erroneous and indefensible assumptions are tagged on.

Quote:
Without time to research it and create a counter-argument, I am left with no rational basis for my opinion. Thus I have once again proven myself worthy of being shot, since I am being both irrational and inflexible.

First, no inflexibility, as acceptant of facts loosely supportive of counter-argument. Second, no irrationality, as it is not a matter of opinion: on average, women have better verbal reasoning, men have better spatial reasoning. Last, never offered an opinion -- good job!

So far, this mostly shows how far apart my idea of shooting the bigots is from your idea of the same.

Quote:
Do you mean zionists?

No, meaning people who think that one religion speaking of God and another are ever incompatible. Muslim zealots who believe that Christians and Jews are against God are equally ignorant.

Quote:
The Quran and the hadith both, IIRC, authorize holy war (jihad, or "struggle") to spread Islam.

Sure, sounds like God to me. Problem is that most people, inside and outside Islam, think of jihad as being one group of God followers against the others. In reality, jihad is more like "crusade" -- it is a loaded term meant to describe spiritual warfare against Godlessness.

Quote:
Also, there are quite a few unflattering references to Jews, due to Mohammed's being opposed by a group of them.

Jesus lived in the Roman Empire, but most of his criticism was also of Jews. God told the Jews to kill all the Canaanites, for what that's worth.

Quote:
Throughout history, Muslims have, according to Islamic law, treated Jews and Christians as somewhat second-class citizens, and forbidden them to proseletyze.

Christians have, throughout history, discouraged proseletyzation by Muslims; as for which has been more tolerant of the practice of the other's religion, Muslims were usually more tolerant of Christians than vice versa, at least until the collapse of the Ottoman Empire.

Quote:
I base my dissention from this view on my friendship with a Muslim about a decade ago. He was quite a nice guy and we got along quite well. Again, my view is supported less with facts than with prejudice, and I am not willing to change it lightly.

What it is based on is irrelevant, more or less. This all drives home the concept that being open-minded excludes one from being a bigot, as well as from being close-minded. Presenting an open-minded assessment of reasons for intolerance, the conclusion was in favor of tolerance; this is not about prejudice or opinion, but the nature of the facts. The facts do not support zealotry of any faith, any more than the support nationalism for any citizenry; facts do not support things which are not true, and intolerance is a false doctrine with negative consequences, so it is not sufficiently supported to be taken as knowledge, and acted upon with prejudice and inflexibility.

For the record, presenting one's stated view with a shortage of facts does not make one's argument irrational, it is a straw man. Had the argument included all the factual details of friendship with a Muslim, including conversations, it is dubious that the flimsy recollections of Muslim anti-Jewish rhetoric would be similarly compelling to a rational mind.

Quote:
I object to the useless, meaningless, frivolous, and thoughroughly stupid word "homophobe". Please see my rant earlier in this thread for details, if you care.

Cheerfully withdrawn! Replace with "people who do not think that homosexuals deserve equal respect, or the full rights of personhood extended to heterosexuals". However, it could be that aboce reference to "zealots" could have read "Islamophobes", as it could be seen as an irrational fear of Muslims. Have equally good reasons for choosing the term "homophobe", despite its "fear of man" denotation.

Quote:
In the last couple of years, I've come down to the conclusion that sexual orientation probably isn't flexible enough to be changed. I came to this conclusion based mostly on the fact that the arguments from one side seemed more coherent than the other side. Of course, I didn't really listen to the contents of the arguments, or look at any scientific evidence at all. I have no solid evidence for my conclusion at all. I am quite mystified that you think this is a thouroughly settled question, with no scientific dissent or even room for doubt.

Again, the demerits of opinionation. The coherence of the arguments is rationally conclusive. It is little wonder that the well-settled nature of the subject would be mystifying, IFF one to had not looked at any of the solid, scientific evidence. The subject is past the point of reasonable doubt, but not religious dogma! Homosexuality is a latent genetic characteristic brought on by acute competition for heterosexual mates, and is present in most mammals.

Quote:
In any case, *every* sexual act (homosexual or otherwise) involves a choice...

Yes, and unless it is rape, that choice is not anyone else's business, unless it is an issue of violation of trust, i.e. infidelity. The assertion that society has a prerogative to allow discrimination against that choice seems offensive on a yet more basic level than the religion issue, as sexual reproduction is part and parcel to human biology, whereas church is not.

Quote:
When you started talking about rounding up people and shooting them, I was expecting something like the Holocaust. I wasn't expecting the Spainish Inquisition. But then Nobody expects the Spainish Inquisition! :D

Darn tootin'!

Quote:
What do you do to make sure the conversion is genuine? Torture them a bit? What if there's the slightest doubt in your mind that they may not be telling the truth? More torture? Or execution?

What sort of medieval quackery have we here? These suggestions put you much more in doubt than all prior responses, a little scary, to be honest. Never said conversion, just repentance, statement of the iniquity in one's bigotry, the injustice of spreading hatred for the "other", and acceptance that these views must not be acted upon or even shared. Absolutely in the camp of take their word for it, unless some crime was commited -- arson, murder, even discriminatory hiring are all punishable under existing laws. Would not dream of torturing someone, unless that individual personally tortured me, and even then would probably grant mercy in a swift death.

Quote:
What if a wife shows up and begs for mercy?

If she is not a bigot, and her husband will not cease to act the bigot, who cares? Wouldn't say squat. It is not at all about insult or offense, for what it's worth, think everyone should be allowed to freely insult and offend each other. It is about the fuel to feed a fire of violence against the target of the bigotry, like clearing dead timber and dry brush from a forest. This is purely in the mind of putting a preventatice end to human on human violence, except in crimes of passion, which is a category of violence still quite insolvent to my mind.

Quote:
Rights of the accused? In a pogrom? This isn't the trial of a single individual; according to your definitions so far, the numbers would number in the tens, if not hundreds of millions in the US alone. A really loose definition could catch everybody. (And you thought that prisons were crowded now! :o )

It is the individual trial of perhaps millions, possibly even ten or more million, certainly not over a hundred million, based on openly bigoted action and speech against a recognized group. As for definitions, continue to assert that cognitive dissonance has grossly distorted the stated position. We are talking about active bigots: those that preach, teach, spread, and act on irrational and inflexible prejudice against a particular group. As stated, those who think and say such things alone, or exclusively in the company of like-minded individuals, have virtually nothing to fear, just as people who rape and kill in private have virtually nothing to fear. Would consider invoking a right of self-defense, that a Jew seeing 20 Nazis preaching hate on the courthouse steps has the same right to use deadly force as a person threatened with a gun, but that obviously won't play here.

Far as the prisons go, never suggested housing them any longer than a speedy trial would dictate. Having seen what intolerance can do -- the Holocaust, a plethora of African genocides, racial slavery, repression in Tibet, bombing of gay night clubs, the attacks of 09/11/01, what merit is there in preserving the life of those who would do it next if allowed? Far better to regret having killed the next Hitler than to regret having not killed the next Hitler.

Quote:
Societal level? As in, say, Iran? As in, "Bomb, bomb, bomb, Bomb, bomb, Iran", except not as a joke?

No. As in: not wrong for an individual harmed to do to an individual who caused or incited it, nor wrong for society to do to all individuals who cause or incite it. Much more like Israel's extra-judicial killing of public figures in Palestine who call for destruction of Israel and the Jewish people; in fact, just that policy, only broader, and with no extraneous civilian casualties.

Quote:
Individual level? So, lynch mobs are okay?

No. Individual right being the right of self-defense, e.g. a Jew shooting someone painting a swastika and "Die Jew Scum" on his home. Societal being the "social contract" model, that by living in our society one agrees not to attempt its destruction with hate speech and crimes. Ability to misinterpret this growing to legendary status...

Quote:
As long as they tell people that it was only bigots that they were viciously murdering in their orgy of hate?

This "question" is so loaded as to not merit a response. Not murder, not vicious, not motivated by hate, and certainly not "tell people". As long as it is only bigots? That is my standard, and my criticism of the Israeli Defense Force's actions in Palestine.

Quote:
So ethnic cleansing isn't okay, but ideological cleansing is?

Only if tolerance is mistakenly considered to be an ideology and not a virtue, and intolerance considered an ideology and not a vice. Talk about using a word in a sense other than the normal one... If cleansing society of those who would see ethnic or religious cleansing, or the subjugation of women to the status of property, is not a good thing, than it must be a good thing to allow more of it to occur. If that leaves a better taste... again, the dangers of an opinion!

Quote:
Defining which groups can and can't be discriminated against doesn't differentiate you from Hitler.

That is plainly absurd, given the whole rest of this discussion. If one cannot differentiate between Hitler and execution of his ilk, one has a near absolutist view against the death penalty. As previously stated, could have summed this all up with "against the taking of human life", as that view is worthy of much respect, even if it is flawed.

Quote:
In my view, saying "persons in category X should be rounded up and shot" is wrong for all values of X.

Yes, that much was obvoius a long time ago. That being said, still insist that "null set" is incorrect. Value of X approximately equal to "bigot" (and marginal equivocacy thereof) is a valid solution, and not the only one in the set*.

Given 6.5 billion humans and counting, someone is going to go without; right now, it is mostly women and children, most of whom are also victims of one or more forms of bigotry. Starvation being slow, cruel, and painful, execution by firearm being fast, humane, and relatively painless, it seems obvious that the least immoral act would be to execute those who are causing women and children to suffer and pass the food, water, clothing, and shelter on.

*Agreed that original statement is wrong for most values X. Would also exempt values: "murderer", "serial rapist/molester", and "slaver". Want to defend those three, too? Eagerly awaiting a response... haven't had an earnest debate in years.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 7:33 pm

Any form of bigotry is evil, and the most evil form of bigotry is the one that the bigot denies having. One should determine their own prejudices before investigating and exposing the prejudices of others.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 7:42 am

AGMorehouse wrote:
This is an interesting article. The woman is saying that while she doesn't support his lifestyle, she says she will accept him as a human being, and pray for their sinful ways. I see a very human side of this woman.

My attitude toward homosexuals and homosexuality is very similar. The act of homosexual love is repugnant to me, but these people are human beings and I can't harden my heart against them. Love the sinner, hate the sin. We're all sinners, anyway.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 7:52 am

Phagocyte wrote:
Her view is pretty typical of many conservative Christians, to be honest. I personally care very little for bigotry in any form.

If you read the story carefully, you'll find the narrator, that Crazy Christian Lady, never stopped loving her son. Mothers love their sons unconditionally. If I came to my own mother with the news that I was gay, I know she would not reject me. Mothers can't do that.