Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 9:22 pm

This thought crossed my mind and I thought I'd bring it up for discussion.

With this new generation of Macintosh, Apple has made it a point in their marketing how you can use computers like the G5 to run Windows if you like and not use operating systems like OSX or Leopard.

Since we all know that pretty much all PC games run on Windows and not OSX or Leopard, I want to know your thoughts and experiences using an Apple as a gaming computer, if any.

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net

kip
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 11:37 pm

CLICK ME

'Nuff said.

EDIT: Eh, it has the f-word, hence why its a link. You've been warned!

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 4:34 am

What are you talking about, here is a Mac gamer.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxPXFptzQRY[/youtube]

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 5:39 am

I love how mac haters always bring up the same ANCIENT flaws with macs that haven't existed for years, really makes them LOOK STUPID.

I've got a MacBook Pro, it has OSX Leopard and Windows XP MCE on it. All the games are installed on the windows partition, and despite looking slightly less impressive than on my £2000 gaming PC (Nvidia 8600 compared to 2x8800s), they are all as playable, and it's nice being able to take the thing anywhere and play games.

The guy from that video is part of the team who put together the Red vs Blue videos. Halo is one of the poorest excuses for an FPS ever made (consoles? for drunk, stoned 20 somethings who don't have sufficient clue to use a PC). Real gamers play stuff like Quake III Arena, Unreal Tournament (99, 2003, 2004 etc.), CoD, MoH, Battlefield Series, CS and Armed Assault. Compared to those (even UT) Halo is a cartoony kids game (and more than half of those will even run in OSX).

And seeing as I like to play some really old DOS games too (abandonia.com), I've got DOSBox for OSX, because it's actually easier getting them to run in OSX than trying to get them to work under windows.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 6:59 am

But come on, Mac do all those adverts that pay out PCs, so why can't us PC fans do the same?

RogueProcess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2008, 8:10 am

Yup, I use a MacBook Pro for gaming (I have a 30GB Windows XP partition), and even brand-spanking new games run an absolute treat on it :)
Although, as a note to the OP, G5s will NOT run Windows, as they still used CPUs that were based on the PowerPC architecture, and not the newer Intel-based CPUs.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 9:53 am

polarity wrote:
I love how mac haters always bring up the same ANCIENT flaws with macs that haven't existed for years, really makes them LOOK STUPID.

Me too, it makes me laugh.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 1:08 pm

I think PC gaming is on the edge of extinction, with only WoW and possibly Diablo 3 to keep the species alive.

Gaming on Macs died out in the 90's. I have no problem with Macs, but when games are made from PC's and are then adapted for Mac use, you have to wonder why no one makes games for Macs that get adapted to PCs.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 2:29 pm

polarity wrote:
Halo is one of the poorest excuses for an FPS ever made

Funny how you praise Apple and bash Halo, spiritual sequel of the Marathon series, which originated on the Macintosh ;)

Not that I care for any of those games, just thought it was...is "ironic" the right word?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 12:06 am

Wait he paid out Halo, now you have an enemy. Have you ever played Halo, it is more then just a fps you can use so many different stratagies, and your character is not kept down by the bounderies of a normal person. Maybe some of us are not very good at playing on the computer, I am not, I find it difficult useing the keyboard for gaming, I rather have a controler in my hands. Do you even know the background of the Halo games, 6 year olds kidnaped then put through years of training, most did not make it, you read the novels and you see how gruesome it would be. Also some of us don't like playing some of the other games you mentioned, I personaly don't like a lot of those modern warzone games, I rather play sci fi shooters. And yeah I bet most cartoony kids games have parasites that jump onto people, mix there brainwaves with that of the host, dig into the body then start to mutate it into a super zombie state. And you can blow there arms and heads off of them, yes realy kiddy. And if you think it is a kiddy game because of the lack of gore. If the gore matched the books, you would see things like people being sliced cleanly in half, blown up gruesomly, burned flesh, spikes in them and beasts tearing people apart. It would make Starship troopers look kiddie. Any way I would not say that it was one of the worst fps games, the hero has been made into a wax sculpture as part of a represention of this time. The game has broken records, how many world wide release games have you heard of, Halo sets the bar for FPS games just as yugioh abridged sets it for abridged shows. But I do accept that Bunjie came from mac, but they were bought out just like Rare.

acannon
Raven
Raven

29 Jul 2008, 1:13 am

I have a Mac and I play WoW on it and also SNES roms. I would get other games but I'd much rather play Nintendo DS or get a Wii. I wish I could play N64 roms on my Mac, though... *sigh*

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 1:42 am

acannon wrote:
I have a Mac and I play WoW on it and also SNES roms. I would get other games but I'd much rather play Nintendo DS or get a Wii. I wish I could play N64 roms on my Mac, though... *sigh*

Try Mupen64.

Also if you have Intel Macs people just use Boot Camp, you can play the games as if your Mac was a PC with the same hardware. Main differences between Macs and PCs is the following:
1. Macs have EFI
2. Macs can legally run Mac OS X.
3. Macs are generally better looking than most PCs, not saying we don't have sexy PCs of course.

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jul 2008, 7:11 am

PC gaming is at a low right now. When I was young I always wanted a PC has it was the ultimate gaming format. The capacities are still there but most people prefer to buy inferior devices such has game consoles. Consoles are where the money is for game developers so it's understandable. Sad nevertheless.