Question for those w/kids in acting/drama classes

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

rachel46
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2008, 4:45 pm

I thought I had remembered some people mentioning that their kids were in drama clasess? Right? If so, I am thinking about enrolling my son (age 11) in a "Acting 101" class because he did something called Reader's Theater through our library ( and LOVED it) and is always talking about how he wants to be "on stage". He said he is less fearful of being in front of a large audience than he his in some social situation. My question is how would an Aspie handle when things go wrong...sure there is script to follow, but fellow actors forget their lines, props fall over, etc. . I can see my son bossing everyone around and saying "your line is...." etc. It just doesn't seem to fit with some of the Aspergers qualities....but my son constantly surprises me.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 5:56 pm

I can see your point about frustration when things go wrong, but perhaps the reason acting always seems to go just fine with my son is that the environment is so controlled there isn't much (compared to daily living) TO go wrong? I don't know, but he hasn't melted down in an acting class yet, although he has had some issues with not getting the part(s) he wants. THAT is probably the most difficult thing; getting the right part. Oh, and taking the directors advice, instead of following his own ideas, lol (that might be the largest reason that most directors choose to give my son side parts, that have some allowance for improvisation, and never major parts). Still, somehow, he's done well with it. It isn't stress free; we can end up talking a lot out before and after class and before and after performances; but, overall, it suits him really well.

There is a child who has had starring roles in local productions who goes to a special private school for autistic children. I would assume that he is much more strongly autistic than my child. But he is really talented, and does quite well.

It's probably like everything else with our kids: it will either be great, or a disaster.

And you'll only know which by trying.

PS - Check out how the class works first. My son wants to do productions with an audience, not exercises. Forget improvisation. As much as he likes to interpret and control, he does NOT want to react to someone else's improv. And he has definite tastes in theatre; he only wants to act in plays he "likes."

rachel46
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2008, 7:32 pm

Your son sounds like mine! He only wants to do the plays he wants and I can't imagine him doing improv either. My son truly believes he is ready for Shakespeare -that is what he wants to do- but he has a problem with distinguishing between the idea of something and the reality. I'm hoping this acting class will give him some insight into that. I just took the plunge and signed him up - I'm in contact with the people who are in charge of the class so, as with all things with my son, we'll just wait and see whether it will be a train wreck or wonderful.

greyh
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2008, 8:32 pm

Believe it or not I used to be a pretty good actor when i was younger, before I hit puberty and became majorly introverted - and if someone has problems socially but can express themselves via acting then i say go for it, it will be an awesome experience for him and will definitely be something positive overall.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 9:41 pm

We had our son (age 12) do an acting camp last year for a full month, and then he has done after-school classes throughout the school year last year. I think that it has truly been beneficial for him, and a good substitute for social skills classes.

My son is kind of a quiet Aspie, and doesn't need to control things too much. He enjoyed the classes early on in the year, became somewhat frustrated by practicing for the actual play, and then when his part was in more of the practice sessions, he was back into loving his acting classes. He has a rough time with improv classes, which are run very similarly to that old show "Whose Line Is It Anyway", and so we practice that at home with him, to try and give him ideas to use for the improv sessions. The cool thing about improv, which is hard for anyone, is that it helps them to loosen up, and think more about their audience. But I could see where it would be extremely hard for kids on the spectrum (and anyone else, for that matter).

My son got a fairly good part in the play this year (mostly due to being one of the few boys), and during one of the performances, one of the props was dropped onto his toes. I had no idea that this occurred, because he was so good at masking the pain and just going on with the show. He is HIGHLY motivated by performing. He used to jump up onstage at Barnes and Nobles to try and act out, or read to younger children (whether they wanted him to or not). So even with something fairly major that went wrong during a performance, he managed to suck it up and continue. I think that he likes being onstage more than anything else, and so he is able to do amazing things that he couldn't do normally.

Kris

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 11:35 pm

Rachel, my son has recently gotten interested in Shakespeare, and did a 2 week summer camp with it this summer. Basically, acting around here is going to be musicals or Shakespeare, and he does NOT want musicals, so it's good he's decided to like Shakespeare. Best of luck to your son with his first experience. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Kris, my son loves being on stage, also. Always has. There is something about being in character and performing that makes him feel very brave. He's tried to explain it to me, why he can jump into character so well for an audience. He doesn't practice as well as he performs. He really feeds off the audience. He won raves for his talent show performance as a magician this year at school - despite tripping on his way up. Apparently he made it look like part of the act. Why he can improvise on stage, but not in real life, is an interesting question. But it really is different.

rachel46
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2008, 10:32 am

*UPDATE*

I signed him up last night and Aug. 25th is the first class. Wish us luck! My son is excited. Nothing ventured, nothing gained right?

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 1:53 pm

I'm excited for you and your son. I think that he will really enjoy it!

DW_a_mom, I've never thought about Shakespeare for my son -- that could really be GREAT!

Kris

EvilTeach
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2008, 4:13 pm

Yep. Two extra parent points out of petty cash.

I hope it goes well with your son.