Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 4:47 pm

Does anyone here use a classroom checklist or a notebook for their kids at school. I am referring to one that the teachers would fill out to tell about what your child did today and/or how they were. I am wanting to implement something to give me more info about my son's day at school and I would like to have it ready for his upcoming IEP in a couple of weeks, but I'm not entirely sure what to do. My son Caleb has AS and will be in the 2nd grade, he does get different teachers for different subjects.

"Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is
fighting some kind of battle".

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 7:14 pm

From my experience as a teacher and a previously as a student (who didn't have them) teachers either nitpick over tiny things ("well you did do (insert tiny infraction here) when you weren't supposed to"), or totally ignore them ("yeah just set there"). It is a good idea, but teachers don't use it correctly. Your best bet is to keep in touch with your teachers regularly, most teachers don't mind talking to a parent. More work yes, but a lot more effective.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 10:18 pm

the problem I have is that I find out there was an incident in the classroom, but I don't find out about it until a week or more later. If he just had the one teacher that would be fine, but he usually has 3 or 4. I'm hoping to come up with something that is effective, but not cumbersome for the teachers.

for everyone you meet is

EvilTeach
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2008, 4:19 pm

ya, we tried the notebook for a while
it worked pretty good, in presenting the other side of what happened that day.

it eventually morphed into a email message at the end of every day

he has one primary teacher that takes care of it.

you should try the notebook.

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 12:21 am

Thanks, so far that seems to be the best idea. I don't feel too bad this year about him because 3 of the 4 teachers he already knows and they know him.

for everyone you meet is

ster
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 7:01 am

accountability for information is sometimes hard to achieve.....i haven't tried the notebook, but i'm assuming that if you're having trouble getting information from the teachers now, you might not necessarily get anywhere with a notebook

jaleb
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 10:50 am

I actually met with his teacher today. I wanted to talk to her before the open house so I'm not discussing Caleb in front of all the other parents, and they are going to try to limit his transitions to between 2 teachers, and their rooms are connected. So hopefully getting the info will be easier this year anyway. His teacher was great and she had some really good ideas for him all on her own. She has had an AS student before so she is somewhat familiar with it and has been doing research on her own!

for everyone you meet is

ster
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 9:02 am

*fingers crossed*.....hope things continue to go well...