Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 6:38 pm

Does anyone else have this???
Im not afraid of the milar balloons just the old latex ones. First of I cant tollerate the noise they make when people rub their fingers on them...it makes me feel like my teeth are falling out. Its the same noise that when people get out of the pool and step into their flip flops or rubbing your fingers on wet tupperware....you know that hideous noise? Then you never know when they are going to pop. Sometimes I have to let my kids have them....ie birthday parties or when they giving them out at the store. Its pure torture to me...especially if they are in the car with us AHHHHHHHH!
So....anyone else?

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 6:44 pm

Not me, but my aspie teen was terrified of them as a child...still does not like them much. He was also afraid of clowns. I was never sure if it was the clown or the fact that clowns most always have balloons.

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2008, 6:48 pm

I was punished in kindergarten bc i was terrified of and thus refused to sit on a balloon to pop it. I don't have a general fear of balloons though. I was just afraid that it would hurt to sit on it and pop it and I was also afraid of the loud noise they made.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 6:51 pm

I don't care for the squeaking sound of running fingers over the latex balloons either, nor can I stand the sound of them popping. I think the popping is just because when they do it's usually a sudden loud bang. I hate sounds like that! I used to visibly cringe around balloons when I was younger.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 6:56 pm

Yea, I hate balloons. I am always so scared they are just going to up and pop on me. That noise is the worst. At my bro's birthday party, my stepdad thought it would be funny to tourment me by jumping on them, which for some reason makes them even louder than normal.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 7:11 pm

Not afraid any more.

But as a child the noise of balloons pained me and sent me into an immediate meltdown. And so the mere sight of balloons and the knowledge someone could pop them or they could pop accidentally frightened me.

I neither wanted to look at them nor touch them.

mattcel
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2008, 8:05 pm

I am extremly terrified of balloons for their pop.
Im in fact generally terrified of all sudden loud noises, and their source, IE guns, cannons, fireworks, etc,
, and I have been like that since I could remember and countinue to be,

jnet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2008, 8:11 pm

mattcel wrote:
I am extremly terrified of balloons for their pop.
Im in fact generally terrified of all sudden loud noises, and their source, IE guns, cannons, fireworks, etc,
, and I have been like that since I could remember and countinue to be,

same here.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 8:22 pm

Are you all kidding? I LOVE balloons! I have some right by my window now (granted, they're old and many of them have deflated considerably :(

When I was younger yes I hated the sudden pop, and hated loud fireworks.

I don't care as much about the pop, but yes it still surprises me/etc when that stuff is a surprise. Now I like the boom and loudness of fireworks. Was gesturing and jumping at the Chicago Venetian Show lol 8)

Starbaby
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2008, 9:26 pm

Always have been. Probably always will be. I also don't do guns, fireworks, or anything that makes a loud noise.

mattcel
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2008, 10:28 pm

actually, my fear of loud noises led in a weird and twisted way to my finding out about AS, but its a long story

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 12:13 am

Oooh I love Wrong Planet because I can personally identify with so many of the issues here. In real life, not too many people share them.

I, too, was afraid of balloons not because they were balloons but because they made an awful noise when they got a hole in them.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 29 Jul 2008, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 12:15 am

jnet wrote:
I was punished in kindergarten bc i was terrified of and thus refused to sit on a balloon to pop it. I don't have a general fear of balloons though. I was just afraid that it would hurt to sit on it and pop it and I was also afraid of the loud noise they made.

That is what started my fear of balloons, lol a game at a birthday party when I was, I think, two or three. It was one of those games where two teams of toddlers had to sit on balloons and pop them as fast as we could. First team finished with all the balloons won. Scared the crap out of me!

Omar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2008, 12:21 am

The idea man....of a balloon...going higher and higher up, air diffusing outta its thin shell...going flaccid as it ever mounts the cloud capped sky.

It's enough to keep you celibate (not that that's hard for some of you)

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 5:44 am

I hate the sound they make when they pop. I can't relax when there's one in the room.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 12:04 pm

When I was younger, I was always afraid that a piece of latex of a balloon that popped could hit me on the eye.