Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Daran
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 4:02 pm

I always get surprised when friends like to listen to music which I don't feel any attraction for.
It's almost like I want all the people I like, love or care for to have the same music taste as me.

Realising this it made me wonder if this is at all related to having an autistic brain.
How is it for you, are you perfectly comfortable with the idea that your friends don't like what you listen to and vise versa or do you also feel some tension there always?

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2008, 5:18 pm

My friends either don't listen to music (one) or have... poor taste (the other one). It makes me sad hehe. It would be nice to have similar music taste with my friends. I'm okay with having differing taste, though.

AGMorehouse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2008, 5:44 pm

One of my friends likes some of the same music I like (The Beatles, The Rolling Stones), but he also likes some of the more underground stuff like Rob Zombie, etc. Another one of my friends likes 50's pop music, and someone I knew also liked underground metal.

you will jouney from boy to man

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 6:36 pm

i really dont care what they listen ..its taste thingy

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 7:25 pm

I don't have friends so I don't have those kinds of problems.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 7:51 pm

Mage wrote:

Haha, ditto. :D

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 8:23 pm

My mom, dad and brother all like oldies. My sister likes rap and alternative rock. I like dance and goth rock. Everybody likes something different, but it doesn't bother me at all.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 10:21 pm

I don't have any friends who like the same music as me. It's be cool if I did, so we could do music-related stuff together. So that's the only reason why. Sometimes I do wonder what people see in certain music, like I wonder how SHE can be dating HIM and that sort of thing. :wink:

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 11:21 pm

I used to be almost furious when someone I knew liked music I hated... it seemed so wrong, that someone I thought was good and smart could listen to bad and stupid music! After a while, though, I started not to care as much. There's still music I hate, and I might rant about it if the opportunity comes up, but if someone I know is listening to it, the most I'll probably do is ask them to change the song if it seems like an okay thing to do.

Daran
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 12:47 am

pineapple wrote:
Sometimes I do wonder what people see in certain music, like I wonder how SHE can be dating HIM and that sort of thing. :wink:

Now you mention that, I realise the surprises aren't limited to music taste only, it also goes for what kind of books they read, which philosophers/spiritual persons they're attracted to, whether they eat vegetarian, take alcohol, etc., etc.. That's why I mentioned the autism because it feels like I'm in a narrow circle of my own tastes and likes and can hardly imagine my friends wanting different things. But apparently it doesn't seem to bother most others here.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 12:52 am

It startles me how closed-minded people can be to music... but being a musician, that can be excused I suppose. I have seen that characteristic in a majority of those with HFA or AS that I have encountered.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 1:01 am

Most of my friends in high school revolved around wrestling and metal. Was a metal head before HS, still am today, tho not really into the "image," more the lyrics and movement of the music. Love all sorts of music, '70s, '80s pop is real cool too, Billy Idol, David Bowie, and a bunch of one offs. Friends seem to respect a lot of my varied taste, and have even come around to some of the stuff they've originally went "WTF" about. I've done the same, however, my tastes are a bit more rigid, if I don't like it, I probably won't like it ever.

MintLemonade
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2008, 1:24 am

I have a friend whose tastes in music are similar to mine and a few who like everything and anything. One friend knows I can't stand rap music so he plays it when he drives me home if its late.

WillThePerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2008, 9:44 am

Everyone in my school liked music I hated and thought was annoying.
What happened to good taste?

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 9:56 am

Mage wrote:

Same here, too.

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2008, 11:48 am

I like most music. There are always artists that I like that my friends like, and artists that I like that my friends dislike. I don't like it when my friends dislike my favourite artists, but I get over it.
What I do have a serious problem with is that my friends have strong, negative opinions about some of the artists that I like. They make assumptions about them (e.g. they're a $lut/wh0re) and they throw random insults at them (e.g. crap, gay, stupid), and it always upsets me...