Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2008, 8:56 pm

I tend to notice them. Two years ago I was pointing out to one of my teachers the some of the words on the sign in the classroom were misspelled. Each misspelled word was missing a letter. I've also many times corrected one of my teachers when they misspelled a word on the board.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

29 Jul 2008, 9:00 pm

FireFox wrote:
I tend to notice them. Two years ago I was pointing out to one of my teachers the some of the words on the sign in the classroom were misspelled. Each misspelled word was missing a letter. I've also many times corrected one of my teachers when they misspelled a word on the board.

I got sent out of my RE lessons for that. The damn teacher couldn't spell. But if you copied her notes from the board exactly, she'd mark the spelling mistakes in your book. ret*d.

I constantly notice. It get to the point where I cannot concentrate properly on what is actually written.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

29 Jul 2008, 9:02 pm

Yess I do.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 9:20 pm

Excessively - yet I still tend to mistype a lot.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 9:24 pm

I try not to be picky. I make a lot of typos and I am not the best speller. I think improper grammar while speaking bothers me more.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 9:25 pm

LadyMacbeth wrote:
The damn teacher couldn't spell. But if you copied her notes from the board exactly, she'd mark the spelling mistakes in your book. ret*d.

Who knows? Leonardo Da Vinci made some STUPID mistakes. Some claimed that he did that so that people copying him would fail to get things to work, even though a little kid should have been able to notice the problem. Maybe your teacher WANTED you to correct her. Oh well, at least she could do that. :roll:

Then again, some teachers have OTHERS do the correcting! :lol: 8O

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 9:27 pm

claire333 wrote:
I try not to be picky. I make a lot of typos and I am not the best speller. I think improper grammar while speaking bothers me more.

Same here, but I DO do ok, and notice a LOT of bad grammer, etc... Sometimes, I feel like SCREAMING, because things are so BAD!

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 9:45 pm

Students, friends, family, employers and (occasionally) professors have looked to me for proofreading because of my spelling abilities and attentiveness to detail. When they don't, if something is just lying out in the open, I'm likely to proofread it anyways, because spelling mistakes just annoy me, and I like to read anyways. I don't do it as a rude or condescending thing, and it's not to one-up anyone, I just want to see the piece itself be as flawless as possible, and I want to help whoever the writer is. However, once in a while, I've had to overlook glaring mistakes because someone has found it too inconvenient to correct, or the copies have already been made. I'll do it, but I don't like doing so. :?

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 10:01 pm

I can't not notice spelling errors; they just jump out at me.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Kiera
Raven
Raven

29 Jul 2008, 10:49 pm

i'm constantly finding errors in spelling/grammar. my co-workers crack up, constantly about it. bad grammar hurts my head.

..i work in a corporate environment. i went into work the other day and one of the office chairs had a piece of typing paper taped to the backrest. in large red marker, in all capital letters, the paper said "ALL BUSS UP."....it took me five minutes to get that. my coworkers are laughing at me while i'm trying to read it aloud to make sense of it. wouldn't it be easier to write "BROKEN"!??!?

i dont understand NTs....

grinningcat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2008, 11:06 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
LadyMacbeth wrote:
The damn teacher couldn't spell. But if you copied her notes from the board exactly, she'd mark the spelling mistakes in your book. ret*d.

Who knows? Leonardo Da Vinci made some STUPID mistakes. Some claimed that he did that so that people copying him would fail to get things to work, even though a little kid should have been able to notice the problem. Maybe your teacher WANTED you to correct her. Oh well, at least she could do that. :roll:

Then again, some teachers have OTHERS do the correcting! :lol: 8O

Last year I took a course in conversational French and the textbook was full of mistakes that the author claimed he put in for people to correct. Nice explanation for shoddy editing. :roll:

On copying - I once had a class mate decide to cheat from my biology test paper. I didn't notice that she was doing it. We had our papers delivered back, and she was irate - she *knew* she had the answers correct. Why? Because they were exactly the same as the ones on my paper and she wanted me to check them over for her. I realized, not only had she copied everything, she copied badly, maybe to "fool the teacher" (who wasn't fooled, not by the bad forgery, and not into believing that I had let her cheat from my paper), or more likely she couldn't read my writing (vaguely legible) or perhaps it is because I use the big words that she didn't understand (let alone spell) - I am not the easiest person to copy from, :lol: ! In that respect, maybe the Da Vinci supporters have a point :lol:

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

29 Jul 2008, 11:47 pm

Well I'm not the best speller, but I normally use a spellchecker. We're all using computer's, so why doesn't everyone do the same? I use a talking screen reader, and I sometimes have to read very carefully word by word. The spelling is just that bad. What gets me is when the subject of a topic is even misspelled.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 12:31 am

Yes I notice!! !! I even help my boss when she will say something wrong, LOL!! !

SuperSteve
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jul 2008, 1:43 am

Quote:
I constantly notice. It get to the point where I cannot concentrate properly on what is actually written.

Same here. And I usually can't stop myself in time, so I just blurt out the correction, which makes makes people hate me...pardon me for being able to spell... :evil:

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 1:54 am

velodog wrote:
Yess I do.

Oh realy?

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 2:26 am