Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ed
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 4:02 pm

I notice lots of spelling mistakes, but I remember that I've had to take spelling as a separate course all the way through grade school, and that I was always an avid reader (now my reading is on the computer), and that I was blessed with a mind that easily retained such trivia, so I don't mind at all, as long as their meaning is clear. :D

btw, sure wish this topic had a poll :lol:

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 6:00 pm

My husband does and it bothers him to no end. He is so QUICK, too. His father is even worse. He writes all spelling errors in the newspaper to the editor on a frequent basis. He did that to my mom once, didn't he mom?? (she reads everything on here now in order to understand my son more and probably undx husband).

I was watching CNN and got really confused when I saw a quote, "John McCain wants said...." I am thinking, "wants - he wants - said??" It took me a little while to say, "They completely spelled it wrong (once). That made me made because it's CNN. Sorry, NT (kind of) but had to share that story!!

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 6:16 pm

One thing I always notice is mistakes with the apostrophe. Signs like 'carrot's for sale' or 'childrens clothes' always make me look twice, but to be honest, the apostrophe has a murkier history than Belgium. It was only about 150 years ago that the full range of uses of the apostrophe were finally decided upon, so it's no wonder that it's misused so much. I still notice it though.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 6:23 pm

Hodor wrote:
One thing I always notice is mistakes with the apostrophe. Signs like 'carrot's for sale' or 'childrens clothes' always make me look twice, but to be honest, the apostrophe has a murkier history than Belgium. It was only about 150 years ago that the full range of uses of the apostrophe were finally decided upon, so it's no wonder that it's misused so much. I still notice it though.

Great. You will notice my errors' a lot! J/K about the comma in error :lol:

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2008, 9:01 pm

natesmom wrote:
There are no commas in your sentence. It's an apostrophe...

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 9:05 pm

DJRnold wrote:
natesmom wrote:
There are no commas in your sentence. It's an apostrophe...
:lol:
I seriously knew that. :lol: I am surviving on little sleep. That was funny.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 10:41 pm

An apostrophe is a comma with an antigravity unit. :lol:

Spelling errors jump out at me, too. I don't comment on them on forums because so few forums have spellcheckers. If I can't decipher a misspelled word, I'll ask what it is. What bugs me is the misused apostrophes in advertisements and news articles.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 11:11 pm

MysteryFan3 wrote:
An apostrophe is a comma with an antigravity unit. :lol:

Exactly, that is what I was really thinking - subconciously.

That made me laugh so hard. You are hilarious.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 11:23 pm

I notice misspellings and typos very easily, but learned to normally keep my mouth shut about them. I hate the British spellings though, they also scream incorrect at me despite having learned them in school. I guess in the 6 years after leaving school, I mostly spend time in American fora.-

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 10:05 am

Casting a spell topic

I come from a generation when the rules of grammar and proper spelling were much more rigorously enforced.

It would be interesting to research why there has been a relaxing of rules. 8O

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2008, 2:12 pm

I notice spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes. I would make an excellent proof reader.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 2:54 pm

My boss' boss comes to me to proofread his emails at work. The gentleman that had his job before him did as well. My middle name should be "good eye".

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 6:00 pm

sartresue wrote:
Casting a spell topic

I come from a generation when the rules of grammar and proper spelling were much more rigorously enforced.

It would be interesting to research why there has been a relaxing of rules. 8O

The truth is, it was only in the 18th and 19th century that rules of grammar were truly strictly enforced. In school, children were told to follow numerous arbitrary and useless rules and they had these rules drilled into their heads from an early age. Breaking any of those grammar rules would result in a whack on the wrist -one split infinitive, one whack. Two split infinitives, two whacks, and so on.

Nowadays, linguists realise that language is in constant state of change, and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Enforcing grammar rules such as not using split infinitives or placing prepositions at the end of a sentence has become less rigorous because, frankly, it's pointless. Infinitives have been split and prepositions have been placed at the end of sentences a long time before the rules were formulated (late 18th c.) So nowadays the focus is more on good style than blindly obeying rules. Sometimes it's bad style to split an infinitive, but sometimes not doing so makes a sentence ambiguous. How can you change 'to boldly go where no man has gone before?'

Thirdly, what most people call 'bad grammar' on the Internet is anything that includes abbreviations or words being missed out (ellipsis.) Many people would say that 'cn sum1 show me how 2 do dis' is bad grammar, but it's actually grammatically correct. The only thing that separates it from standard English is that many of the words have been shortened. So it's just the spelling that's non-standard.

FIN.

marieclaire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2008, 6:55 pm

Yes, my own, again and again. Although maybe the could be called typing errors.

Praetorius
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2008, 12:53 am

lol no im comptley oblivous too tham.

catlover02
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2008, 11:43 am

Yes, I do notice spelling mistakes a lot. I am really good at spelling and I don't like when things are mis-spelled. I am really good at details and I have a habit of pointing out spelling mistakes of others. Dawn