Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 12:29 pm

Yes and no. That's why I don't re-read my posts for typos.

I can't read words with mistakes in them so I will notice. If I have spotted a spelling mistake another did, I won't point it out unless there is a need.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 12:43 pm

I'm oblivious unless it's really bad. The one thing that does bother me is the your / you're thing. A lot of imbeciles on the internet say your instead of you’re for “you are”. I swear those people do it on purpose.

Spelling aint too logical in my mind so I don’t fault people for not remembering the correct vowels in words. I can’t remember that crap at all. There are way too many words to remember and few rules that hold up well. Every single vowel can be used for any vowel sound or often just a silent space holder. English is so screwy when you think about it. Stupid humans created a dumb illogical language.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 3:18 pm

marshall wrote:
Spelling aint too logical in my mind so I don’t fault people for not remembering the correct vowels in words. I can’t remember that crap at all. There are way too many words to remember and few rules that hold up well. Every single vowel can be used for any vowel sound or often just a silent space holder. English is so screwy when you think about it. Stupid humans created a dumb illogical language.

This is a function of English "borrowing" from so many different languages. It's basically an Anglo-Saxon language, but has been heavily influenced by French, and has borrowed from Greek, Latin, Irish Gaelic, Spanish, etc. I find it fascinating. :)

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 3:18 pm

My brain is strange, I can immediately spot misspellings, but when I try to spell, I can tell I spelled it wrong but can't figure out how to make it right.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

venuseagle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2008, 7:02 pm

Yes. Any errors in grammar or spelling can be faintly irritating.

Venus

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 9:46 am

Yes. I used to work as a proofreader at my local newspaper. I find it hard to read the paper without noticing the mistakes.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 9:54 am

One of my problems is that I tend to generalise things when I am reading so I often miss things or even get words wrong. But once I start noticing I find it realy hard to ignore.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 9:58 am

Yes i do notice spelling mistakes particularly my parents as they need a bit of help sometimes with spelling.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 4:45 pm

Yes, I notice spelling mistakes. Strangely, I'm dyslexic and make A LOT of spelling mistakes myself when I write and even skip entire words or write a wrong word, which is why I always re-read everything I write a couple of times to spot my mistakes and correct them. I have a good visual memory and often notice when a word doesn't look right.

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 6:27 pm

I notice spelling mistakes all the time, but when I meet an unfamiliar word it's hard for me to pronounce it right. Sometimes I know the word only because I have read it before.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 6:56 pm

CelticRose wrote:
marshall wrote:

This is a function of English "borrowing" from so many different languages. It's basically an Anglo-Saxon language, but has been heavily influenced by French, and has borrowed from Greek, Latin, Irish Gaelic, Spanish, etc. I find it fascinating. :)

Not only that but the spelling of many words got changed once they were borrowed and not in a consistent way either. It is fascinating but I feel like I have better goals in life than remembering how words are spelled and I don't like people who nitpick because I can't remember trivial stuff like spelling. I use spell check because without it I'm hopeless.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 10:23 pm

I was a terrible speller as a kid. I never won a lollypop or prize from the dollar store for getting a perfect score on my spelling test. I'm still a terrible speller (I will bet you a hundred dollars there are a few in this). Yet now I notice mistakes in magazine articles all the time. All the time I see illerate idots spelling meerkat with a C. I even bought a card with a meerkat on it and almost wrote a hate letter to the company because they called it a "meercat". Spell meerkat with a C and I will stab you. I used to have that as my signiture on another site but got in trouble for it. Some people are just too sensentive. I thought I was the one who took everything litteraly. I think my spelling problem has to do with my mind and fingers working too fast for my brain to keep up. I only use spell check for much more serious stuff like school papers and when I am correcting some idot on YouTube.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 4:49 pm

I notice spelling mistakes but most of them are understandable given that the English
language doesn't have a consistent method of spelling. One common mistake that makes me smile is 'Please bare with us' instead of the correct 'Please bear with us' .

I also notice typing errors in newspapers.Yesterday I saw a restaurant review which was
obviously meant to state that 'the meal was gorgeously presented' but it actually said
'the meal was gorgeously resented'

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 5:57 pm

pluto wrote:
I also notice typing errors in newspapers.Yesterday I saw a restaurant review which was
obviously meant to state that 'the meal was gorgeously presented' but it actually said
'the meal was gorgeously resented'

Haha, nice. You'll probably like Graham Rawle's lost consonants. (Don't worry, you don't actually have to buy the pictures to see them enlarged.) Each picture contains a caption underneath which omits one letter somewhere, to give a hilarious unintentional reading to the sentence, complete with a picture to go with it. Here's an example below:

This one has 'exit' instead of 'exist'...