Positive points of the single life :)

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 10:54 pm

The best thing about being single is that I'm not in a BAD relationship... which is about 99.9999% of all relationships, it seems.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 10:55 pm

Rynok wrote:
Do I have to explain the meaning of those definitions? If you would talk instead of quote dictionaries that might help.
I'm not going to argue with a dictionary.

Selfish means you do things for your own self benefit.
Autistics not understanding the "real world" and thus only the world "as they know it" or "understand it" is not the same thing.

You don't look at a guy that "Sold out his own mother for a buck" and say "Man, that guys really autistic!". If you can't replace the word selfish with autistic then it doesn't mean the same thing, and thus !=

If you don't understand, then go look in a thesaurus. You'll never see the word "selfish" associated with the word "autistic". They aren't even close.

you push your !=autism at me, and don't tell me what it means! Do you just assume I know what you mean by !=autism? I don't. It is mysterious and baffling to me. Could you explain what you mean by it, please?

Merle

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 10:56 pm

Rynok wrote:
Do I have to explain the meaning of those definitions? If you would talk instead of quote dictionaries that might help.
I'm not going to argue with a dictionary.

Selfish means you do things for your own self benefit.
Autistics not understanding the "real world" and thus only the world "as they know it" or "understand it" is not the same thing.

You don't look at a guy that "Sold out his own mother for a buck" and say "Man, that guys really autistic!". If you can't replace the word selfish with autistic then it doesn't mean the same thing, and thus !=

If you don't understand, then go look in a thesaurus. You'll never see the word "selfish" associated with the word "autistic". They aren't even close.

you push your !=autism at me, and don't tell me what it means! Do you just assume I know what you mean by !=autism? I don't. It is mysterious and baffling to me. Could you explain what you mean by it, please?

Merle

Rynok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2008, 10:58 pm

My bad, != is computer terms for "does not equal". (other synonyms are ~= and <>)
Thought it was generally understood.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 11:09 pm

Rynok wrote:
My bad, != is computer terms for "does not equal". (other synonyms are ~= and <>)

that is why I defined my terms about how autism was coined and what the definition means. Autism is mostly amoral anyway. That means we are selfish in a non NT way. We just look that way to those who are not Autistic

Merle

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 12:27 am

Rynok wrote:
I love being single and selfish! Woot!

The above is sarcastic (of coarse), but that is the general feel I get out of this.

Did you not thoroughly read any of my post? I think you may need to pay particular attention to my last post.

I do not consider myself as selfish or how I am handling my life at the moment as selfish, but if you’re so inclined to jump to conclusions, so be it.

And it's 'of course' but since this topic seems to have rubbed you the wrong way and painfully so...

Rynok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2008, 12:35 am

I equate it to a person that goes to prison: "Man, prison sucks because I get no privacy, but at least the food is free!"

Similar theme: "Loneliness is horrible, but at least I don't have to answer to anybody!"

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 12:44 am

Hehe, I was thinking about a different sort of equation.

To me, a relationship is like a wrestling match, it's kind of "scary" to get on the mat, as the other guy (read=chick!) is a mystery, and someone to figure out in 6 minutes or less. In a relationship, obviously it's more than six minutes, but the time to "figure" the person out is VERY short, seems TOO short for me... This example is flawed in that I'm not trying to "beat" the chick. In wrestling, gathering knowledge, and putting moves together is done to establish supremacy, in relationships it's done to find an equal.

I prefer to "wrestle," tho, not with every woman I meet, only a select few. It's well worth being single and happy for a time, wondering about the future, than to be "pinned" down in a relationship...

Last edited by -JR on 01 Aug 2008, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 12:49 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Rynok wrote:

that is why I defined my terms about how autism was coined and what the definition means. Autism is mostly amoral anyway. That means we are selfish in a non NT way. We just look that way to those who are not Autistic

Merle

doesn't /= mean 'does not equal?

Merle

Last edited by sinsboldly on 01 Aug 2008, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 12:50 am

No compromise. No putting up with all their stuff, all their friends and/or family and/or pets, all their demands, all their mental games, their constant struggle for dominance and control. There's not only physical material things to be concerned about, there's psychological concerns as well and in my opinion they are far more concerning.

If loneliness overwhelmed me more than peoples presence annoyed me, I'd probably try to do something about it. But the -possible- reward(Of finding the elusive and highly improbable One For Me) doesn't seem worth the sea of crap I'd have to swim through to get at the diamond on the other side. Which is another positive to being single, no swimming through a sea of crap! Yippee :D

Quote:
The thing that I agree with others is that stress is mostly in the mind. It can be removed [b]y seeing thing differently. Stress is like the man who bought a new car on loan and is worrying about repayments. Or the man who is a control freak and cannot keep hold of it. Or a woman who worries about what others think of here. Loneliness however is impossible to beat intellectually, it is completely non negotiable; find love or be depressed.

Thing about stress is that is is possible to escape it, and look forward to escaping it. Loneliness make no such promises.

Any feeling you have is in the mind, its all chemical reactions. People react to them individually. Some people can't talk themselves out of feeling anger or frustration or stress or depression or paranoia or etc., no matter how rational the argument is that they shouldn't. Some people can. Same with feelings of loneliness. Loneliness is a temporary feeling for me, it comes for a short while and goes away for a long while, so it is negotiable for me, I can look forward to the feeling passing soon.

You make loneliness some super feeling that can't be beat. Maybe you can't curb the feelings of loneliness you have. Other people can curb their feelings of loneliness.

And oddly, there are people in relationships, even surrounded by people that love and care about them, that STILL feel lonely and depressed. Some people just can't win.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 1:15 am

Rynok wrote:
I love being single and selfish! Woot!

The above is sarcastic (of coarse), but that is the general feel I get out of this.

How's this for sarcasm:

I love being a sheep and a tool! I'm feeling cruel today so I think I'll follow my feeling's will and put someone down! Woot!!

The above is sarcastic (of course), but I feel it's a representable example of those with a weak will among us.

Rynok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2008, 1:24 am

Pot calling the kettle black. :lol:

Don't get mad at me because I don't feel that being single is a trait worthy of cherishing.

Ever heard the story about sour grapes? Sour Grapes

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 1:27 am

Lumina wrote:
Thank you, Aspie Chav. :)
I can find ways to distract myself from being lonely temporarily, whether it be going out and being among people or delving into my hobbies for an extended period of time.

If ending up ill and/or dying young is a consequence, I am willing to take it. Right at the moment I think my mental well being is more important than my physical health.

The reason why loneliness has evolved so bad in aspies is to get them away from their hobbies; so it is unlikely to work. However, if you can believe that distraction can work against a tooth ache then it must also work against loneliness too. I did hear that meditation works but you have to put years in to find out.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 12:47 pm

Rynok wrote:

Don't get mad at me because I don't feel that being single is a trait worthy of cherishing.

You're wrongfully attributing any anger I may feel. If I'm mad it isn't because you feel that being single is an unworthy(Like worth has anything to do with it) trait. At least you admit you're being an ass though, I'll give that to you.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 1:09 pm

mikebw wrote:
Rynok wrote:

You're wrongfully attributing any anger I may feel. If I'm mad it isn't because you feel that being single is an unworthy(Like worth has anything to do with it) trait. At least you admit you're being an ass though, I'll give that to you.

:lol: we reveal ourselves in interesting ways. . .

Rynok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2008, 1:16 pm

mikebw wrote:
Rynok wrote:

Oh yeah, for sure I am. If I was nice I wouldn't of posted at all.
Anyways, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Basically: Don't complain about being lonely if your single and loving it.

I do agree on the one point in here that it is not some horrible life draining social status.