Positive points of the single life :)

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RogueProcess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2008, 5:37 am

slowmutant wrote:
A holiday to Turkey? :eew:

Personally I would never vacation in any Arab country.

Actually, Turkey are technically governed secularly, and the current govenment are very much for separation of church and state.
OT, I know, but I thought I should point that out.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 7:22 am

MR_BOGAN wrote:
How I see it.

No relationship is way better than a bad relationship.

A good relationship is better than no relationship.

A study was made on people who were happily married, in a bad marriage and single people concerning their immune system. The happily married had the strongest immune system in general and singles had the lowest.

And also from a evolutionary point of view, being single and consuming resources that could go to married people who are willing to procreate is not desirable. Nature would prefer that you go into a bad relationship then none at all.

So scientifically your opinion is not logical.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 9:04 am

slowmutant wrote:

Turks and Arabs have very few in common. Never call Turkey an Arab country, the mentality of the country is so different from Arab countries... Turks don't like to be called Middle Eastern or Arab.

And I have lived in Istanbul and have nothing but praise. It is the best country I have lived in (I have lived in 5 countries) and I enjoyed it incredibly much: the friendliness of people, the social feeling and politeness of the Turks, the pleasant climate, the incredible diversity culturally and in terms of scenery, the history you breathe on every corner of Istanbul, the beauty of ancient mosques and bazaars combined with western pleasures, ...

I recommend Turkey to anyone and never regretted a single moment to have lived there. In fact, I miss it so much that I decided to try to re-emigrate to Turkey. In two weeks I have a job interview in Istanbul. With a bit of luck I can maybe return to the country that I enjoyed so much.

Anyone saying a bad word about Turkey will get a reply from me... Turkey is a fantastic country with fantastic people. Go there first, and you will see... I lived there and have nothing but praise. I must add I love the Middle East in general, countries like Lebanon or Israel also attract me a lot. But even for non-Middle East fans, Turkey is a pleasure to go to.

Positives about the single life?
- I can go wherever I want when I want
- I can look at pretty girls without feeling guilty
- I can decide which country to move to next without having to make compromises
- I have anxiety problems so I can at least use the rituals I need to cope with them rather than having someone else suffering from them as well

But honestly, I long for a girlfriend. Because of those positives, I don't feel the desire to rush things, but I do wish to have a girl to share my travels and dreams with. One necessarity: she has to be passionate by travelling because I really am attached to my lifestyle of wandering. But I hope to find my traveller girl soon and discover this world of ours together with her.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 11:06 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
MR_BOGAN wrote:
How I see it.

A study was made on people who were happily married, in a bad marriage and single people concerning their immune system. The happily married had the strongest immune system in general and singles had the lowest.

And also from a evolutionary point of view, being single and consuming resources that could go to married people who are willing to procreate is not desirable. Nature would prefer that you go into a bad relationship then none at all.

And where is the scientific data proving your point?

That logic as its flaws, it has also been scientifically proven that excessive amounts of stress can affect the immune system as well. Being in a bad relationship can and will cause excessive amounts of stress.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2008/07/15 ... /2608.html

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 11:43 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:

So THAT explains it! I could not understand why so many people so obviously ill matched are still slogging it out, together!

Merle
(happily consuming half the resources of a couple.)

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 1:08 pm

Lumina wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:
MR_BOGAN wrote:
How I see it.

And where is the scientific data proving your point?

That logic as its flaws, it has also been scientifically proven that excessive amounts of stress can affect the immune system as well. Being in a bad relationship can and will cause excessive amounts of stress.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2008/07/15 ... /2608.html

The thing that I agree with others is that stress is mostly in the mind. It can be removed my seeing thing differently. Stress is like the man who bought a new car on loan and is worrying about repayments. Or the man who is a control freak and cannot keep hold of it. Or a woman who worries about what others think of here. Loneliness however is impossible to beat intellectually, it is completely non negotiable; find love or be depressed.

Thing about stress is that is is possible to escape it, and look forward to escaping it. Loneliness make no such promises.

Have a read of this. It wasn't the original site that I found this evidence.
http://relationshipmania.blogspot.com/2 ... r-dna.html

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2008, 3:39 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Turkey is one of the prettiest touristic countries of the world , a rare mix of western and oriental architecture and it's very secular, even cheikhs are not allowed to wear their religious outfit outside the mosques. You say eww to Turkey because you are a fanatic christian and a racist bastard who can't stand the smell of any muslim or Arab or Middle-eastern(except Israeli of course since they are your Bible's chosen ones) miles away.

Quote:

Turkey is not an Arab country. :lol: yet you insist to debate in the political forum.

Couple of thoughts here. Sometimes a bad relationship can be good because you can learn something about yourself from it. There are advantages and disadvantages to being single or having a significant other and probably depend on the person just as where one would like to spend their time on vacation.

Racist? The last scientific study on this subject funded by the largest corporations, governments, universities and NGOs utilizing a super computer, some rubber bands and a tomato came to the scientific conclusion that, More times than not, "Whoever smelt it, dealt it"!

Lumina
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 6:55 pm

Thank you, Aspie Chav. :)

I agree that loneliness is not inescapable, but for some of us loneliness is something we have to deal with when odds look grim when it comes to finding another companion. The only solution I have found is to look at the positives when it comes to being single. I can find ways to distract myself from being lonely temporarily, whether it be going out and being among people or delving into my hobbies for an extended period of time.

If ending up ill and/or dying young is a consequence, I am willing to take it. Right at the moment I think my mental well being is more important than my physical health.

Rynok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2008, 8:32 pm

I love being single and selfish! Woot!

The above is sarcastic (of coarse), but that is the general feel I get out of this.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 9:54 pm

Rynok wrote:
I love being single and selfish! Woot!

The above is sarcastic (of coarse), but that is the general feel I get out of this.

humm. . I have never thought of myself as selfish. . but isn't that the meaning of autism?

auto = self?

Merle

Rynok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2008, 9:59 pm

When you say things like "I love watching MY shows whenever I want. Eat what I like. Drink when I feel like it. Go where I feel like it...".
I don't see how it can be perceived any other way.

No, autism != selfish. It is a medical name given to a human brain condition.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 10:25 pm

Rynok wrote:
When you say things like "I love watching MY shows whenever I want. Eat what I like. Drink when I feel like it. Go where I feel like it...".
I don't see how it can be perceived any other way.

No, autism != selfish. It is a medical name given to a human brain condition.

In 1943, Leo Kanner wrote a paper describing Autism as a specific disorder. Kanner used the term "Autism," a term that was coined in 1911 by a Swiss Psychiatrist named Eugen Bleuler. Bleuler used the Greek root word "autos" with means "self" to describe an individual who seemed to attend only to some inner world. Kanner's description of Autism was used to create the defining criteria used today to diagnose Autism.

Merle

Rynok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2008, 10:28 pm

If autism = selfish it would not have it's own word.
As far as referring to some "inner world" that doesn't translate as "selfish".
When you keep to yourself because you don't know what to say or how to act, your lost in your own "inner world" because you don't understand the "real world". Selfish is totally different.

Ever had someone say "you live in a bubble"? That is kinda what they mean with the whole "inner world" thing I'd say.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 10:40 pm

Rynok wrote:
If autism = selfish it would not have it's own word.
As far as referring to some "inner world" that doesn't translate as "selfish".
When you keep to yourself because you don't know what to say or how to act, your lost in your own "inner world" because you don't understand the "real world". Selfish is totally different.

Ever had someone say "you live in a bubble"? That is kinda what they mean with the whole "inner world" thing I'd say.

Main Entry: self·ish
Pronunciation: \ˈsel-fish\
Function: adjective
Date: 1640
1: concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others
2: arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others <a selfish act>
3: being an actively replicating repetitive sequence of nucleic acid that serves no known function <selfish DNA>; also : being genetic material solely concerned with its own replication <selfish genes>

Rynok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2008, 10:49 pm

Do I have to explain the meaning of those definitions? If you would talk instead of quote dictionaries that might help.
I'm not going to argue with a dictionary.

Selfish means you do things for your own self benefit.
Autistics not understanding the "real world" and thus only the world "as they know it" or "understand it" is not the same thing.

You don't look at a guy that "Sold out his own mother for a buck" and say "Man, that guys really autistic!". If you can't replace the word selfish with autistic then it doesn't mean the same thing, and thus !=

If you don't understand, then go look in a thesaurus. You'll never see the word "selfish" associated with the word "autistic". They aren't even close.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 10:54 pm

The best thing about being single is that I'm not in a BAD relationship... which is about 99.9999% of all relationships, it seems.