Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

How do you react to criticism?
I have an ASD and I consider criticism to be antagonistic and react strongly. 70%  70%  [ 26 ]
I have an ASD and criticism doesn't bother me that much, I listen and then decide if I want to act on it. No big deal. 24%  24%  [ 9 ]
I don't have an ASD and I consider criticism to be antagonistic and react strongly to it. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't have an ASD and criticism doesn't bother me that much. I listen and then decide if I want to act on it. No big deal. 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 37

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 5:28 pm

I have an ASD and react strongly to it. How about you? Do you think having an ASD changes how you react and cope with criticism from others?

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 5:37 pm

When I was younger, I would respond badly to criticism, it was not wanted, but often given to me.
As I got older and matured I learned that not all criticism was bad, but actually quite helpful, you
become more receptive to advice, especially when its constructive.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 5:44 pm

It depends on how it's presented. A logical explanation is easy to work with. A threat based on untrue assertions tees me off. I can handle a criticism between below that extreme, but for the threat I end up demanding an explanation. I never get one, just more threats. The best answer for those is to apologize and assure the bosshole it won't happen again. The world is fair, except for the people take the fairness away.

Brandon_M
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2008, 5:46 pm

Constructive criticism, yes I appreciate it. Belittling criticism, no go f*** yourself.

So I guess it all depends.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 12:47 am

I have learnt to bite my lip but I am very tetchy when people criticize me :evil:

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 1:06 am

People seem to enjoy criticizing me when I did not ask their opinion.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 1:29 am

PunkyKat wrote:
People seem to enjoy criticizing me when I did not ask their opinion.

Don't they just :!:

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 1:47 am

On the one hand, probably due to simple exposure to so much of it over the years, I don't react nearly as strongly to it as I used to, and generally try to be and succeed in being mature about it.

That being said, however, I WILL take someone to task and make them defend their position for criticizing me if I believe they're wrong or if I have a good explanation - which I often think I do. And as far as I'm concerned, when I'm in that mode, I don't care who the person is or what their intention is, They're my opponent who has attacked me unfairly until the message is either clarified and I can agree with it, or until I convince them as to why my viewpoint, action or work is correct. This often does not sit well with people, especially considering how animated I can get in my discussions and arguments.

Oh, and I absolutely hate the "constructive criticism" excuse! Almost everyone I've found who makes that their defense does so in hopes that they won't have to answer for what they said, no matter how nasty they were being, because they were "just trying to help." It seems to be an emotionally manipulative attempt to disarm the other person so that they will feel too bad about the idea of biting the hand that feeds them, supposedly, and won't object to whatever sort of reaming they get, while all it really does is increase my resentment, that not only is someone laying into me, what I care about and what I've put my heart into, but they expect me to be grateful for them doing so as well. :x There is a way to make suggestions that doesn't sound abusive or condescending, or at least a way to criticize directly without hiding behind lame pretensions of helpfulness, but said methods often evade those who employ the "constructive criticism" tactic.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 2:53 am

Whenever I'm faced with criticism (particularly in regards to my artwork), my feelings are very hurt, and I usually wind up in tears.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 4:43 am

Brandon_M wrote:
Constructive criticism, yes I appreciate it. Belittling criticism, no go f*** yourself.

So I guess it all depends.

same here. when they insult me i ignore it.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 6:37 am

I have 2 perspectives on that.

Yes, my own ASD changes how I react to criticism, because I'm usually not actively and emotionally involved with the other person.

I don't personally care for that silly emotional and social stuff, because I don't understand when to/don't remember to think about that. I don't get hurt or sad or worry about what they think of me, how they like or dislike me and I don't care for what others think of my work.

In this aspect, the autistic impairment influences my character positively.

In the end however and unrelated to the ASD, I seriously hate criticism because I feel a tiny bit superior to anybody and feel they have the right to criticise me of all people. I stay calm and usually just store it for a later comeback which always comes around.

msinglynx
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2008, 6:45 am

I study art & writing & I think constructive criticism is necesary not only to growing as an artist/writer but also as a person, that said, some times I get prett mad, & if I'm feeling/being attacked I have a hard time reacting, becuz I find it very wounding. So sometimes I lash out, usually I try to keep it to my brothers, I can usually control myself enough to not want to hit strangers, but then my brother know how to hit all my buttons :roll:

asperience
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2008, 6:56 am

For me, things changed big time once I realized I had AS, a few years ago as an adult. Before that, I was scared and resentful of criticism. But once I realized that I had AS and had problems knowing what others were thinking about me, all of a sudden I became very interested in hearing how people are perceiving me, both positively and negatively. And because getting people to reveal when they are perceiving you negatively is incredibly difficult, I realized that "negative" feedback was incredibly useful, and I began to seek it out through men's groups and other situations where people give each other honest feedback.

JamesBond
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2008, 8:46 am

I love it. In the right setting I find it arousing. There, I said it

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 9:20 am

Looks like most of us dislike being criticised. Sometimes it does benefit me and even though I react strongly to it I listen and most of the time, if the criticism is constructive, it affects me.

I hope the NTs on WP will also participate in this poll it isn't just for us with ASDs. That's why I included choices for NTs.

TheOneGreatBob
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2008, 9:34 am

Quote:
The world is fair, except for the people take the fairness away.

Um, no it's not. The world gives random people debilitating and/or fatal diseases.