How Bullying Is Overblown: The Flaws Of The Disadvocates

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FreedomG
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2008, 6:12 pm

I understand disadvocate is not a word, but I choose to use it regardless.

First of all, I have experienced bullying before in my lifetime, but it was nowhere near as serious as many other people have experienced it.
I understand the feelings of the Aspies as he cruelly brought into that environment like a baby being birthed into this world.
But it really isn't an issue.
First of all, if you can say that they're all a bunch of primitive gorillas being manipulated by society into taking out their insecurities on weaker individuals, then why are you so hung up on them?
To so clearly define it in a rational way is supposed to make people no longer scared or resentful. Similar to when your father opened your scary closet door to explain that there was no monster.
Humans fear and despise what they don't understand, yet if you understand the rationale and what they are, then why do still have irrational thoughts, such as these?

The solution many of you have is to change society and increase protection of the afflicted, the problem is is that already exists and it still continues, not working enough? That's an example of something that doesn't work being applied only to say that they are trying to fix the problem. The real issue here is the public school system in general, designed from the ground-up by Western industrialized states to educate a workforce to man the factories, it also like the factories it mans becomes a sort of assembly line for people. They are all standardized and produced for a single-minded purpose. The close contact with elements of people that naturally conflict breeds strife. It is also natural that some have power that others may not posess. The flaws in the design of these people are sorted and worked out through the system which is why you see a large amount of bullying disappear outside of school. Any bullying that happens after that usually occurs in environments where the workforce is closely monitored and regulated. This results in incidents of confrontation, but this another inherent trait of this system. At this point, many would argue for reform, but I wish to hear something that is not labyrinthine in explanation, a simple yet profound argument.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 6:45 pm

It matters not how you rationalize or pontificate. Bullying seems to be a permanent fixture in the sphere of human behaviour. If you can somehow verbally persuade the bullies out of bullying you, you can persuade anyone do to anything. Part of being a bully is not listening to reason, yes?

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 6:45 pm

I do agree that the public (and private!) school system is flawed and needs heavy reforming. However, that isn't to say that progress can't be made. I mean, look at the strides made in gender and racial tolerance. I'm not saying it's perfect, and some areas are worse than others. However, it is most definitely better for these and other groups than it would have been forty or fifty years ago. I have been in environments where sexist, racist, homophobic and classist slurs, and yes, even comments about certain kinds of disabilities have been almost non-existent, and yet still those who don't fit into these categories but fail to fit into the majority either are mistreated while authority figures look the other way and therefore make themselves complicit in the abuse.

Progress can be made if we frame the struggle in the right way. Right now, the problem for those stuck in identity politics purgatory, somewhere between being a majority and minority, is that people necessarily assume that we can fix ourselves to fit in, and if we don't do so, we have no right to complain. People assume with surprising frequency that those with mental conditions can necessarily be "fixed" through medication, aversives or other treatment despite potential financial or health-related barriers; that the overweight can easily lose weight through exercise and fostering better eating habits; that the physically deformed but not disabled can give up the time, money and comfort to go through and recover from surgical procedures to make them more attractive or at least normal; and that the socially awkward and alienated can easily learn and like what they're oblivious to and annoyed by because obviously they weren't trying hard enough to before, to name a few. This blame the victim mentality needs to be corrected and changed. There are the beginnings of movements framing the reason for their being outcasted as who they are rather than something to merely be corrected, but until this becomes widespread and accepted, those in the space in between will continue to be needlessly damaged both by their peers and their supposed protectors and mentors.

Last edited by BokeKaeru on 31 Jul 2008, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 6:54 pm

FreedomG wrote:

...At this point, many would argue for reform, but I wish to hear something that is not labyrinthine in explanation, a simple yet profound argument.

Ok. Are these simple enough?

Being a bully is bad for your health: study

Bullies, victims more likely to consider suicide

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 6:57 pm

It's not like I want them to have an effect on me it's just that the town I live in is crawling with people who discriminate. It would be nice if I bumped into someone I went to school with and they tried to have a talk with me and said something along the lines of:

"You know you didn't deserve all our crap in school. I realize it was stupid of me to act that way."

Why can't they just admit they were jerks and that they could be wrong about someone else's intelligence?

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 7:03 pm

I am glad the schools are adopting a zero tolerance for bullying. Things were much different when I was in school. I was not really bullied...was a bit of a scrapper back in the day. However, my son was easily targeted when he was younger. I was greatful to have the school's support.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 8:02 pm

FreedomG,

If Bullies were LITERALLY Gorillas, I could stay away and we could have our own areas. I would actually like to RESPECT various animals such as Gorillas, so THEY have a place. Bullies are DIFFERENT.

As for being overblown? I have had a few black eyes, had my head bashed into a locker, and of course just plain physical violence. There have been OTHER ways more insidious, etc...

Frankly, I think you are a troll!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 8:37 pm

FreedomG,

Your post is really difficult to read because you don't use paragraphs and you lump all your words together in an nearly endless flow.

Observe.

Notice how much easier this is to read than your post all jumpled together? It is because I have taken it upon myself to have mercy on your eyes and your brain by helping you along. I am considerate enough to spare you my humongous chunk of wordage.

Instead, I am breaking my paragraphs up thus making reading this much easier for you.

You should thank me.

Really.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 30 Jul 2008, 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 8:39 pm

Mmmkay, now I will do yours.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 8:42 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
FreedomG wrote:
I understand disadvocate is not a word, but I choose to use it regardless.

First of all, I have experienced bullying before in my lifetime, but it was nowhere near as serious as many other people have experienced it.

I understand the feelings of the Aspies as he cruelly brought into that environment like a baby being birthed into this world.

First of all, if you can say that they're all a bunch of primitive gorillas being manipulated by society into taking out their insecurities on weaker individuals, then why are you so hung up on them?

To so clearly define it in a rational way is supposed to make people no longer scared or resentful. Similar to when your father opened your scary closet door to explain that there was no monster.

Humans fear and despise what they don't understand, yet if you understand the rationale and what they are, then why do still have irrational thoughts, such as these?

The solution many of you have is to change society and increase protection of the afflicted, the problem is is that already exists and it still continues, not working enough? That's an example of something that doesn't work being applied only to say that they are trying to fix the problem.

The real issue here is the public school system in general, designed from the ground-up by Western industrialized states to educate a workforce to man the factories, it also like the factories it mans becomes a sort of assembly line for people. They are all standardized and produced for a single-minded purpose. The close contact with elements of people that naturally conflict breeds strife. It is also natural that some have power that others may not posess.

The flaws in the design of these people are sorted and worked out through the system which is why you see a large amount of bullying disappear outside of school. Any bullying that happens after that usually occurs in environments where the workforce is closely monitored and regulated.

This results in incidents of confrontation, but this another inherent trait of this system. At this point, many would argue for reform, but I wish to hear something that is not labyrinthine in explanation, a simple yet profound argument.

Your post is really difficult to read because you don't use paragraphs and you lump all your words together in an nearly endless flow.

Observe.

Notice how much easier this is to read than your post all jumpled together? It is because I have taken it upon myself to have mercy on your eyes and your brain by helping you along. I am considerate enough to spare you my humongous chunk of wordage.

Instead, I am breaking my paragraphs up thus making reading this much easier for you.

You should thank me.

Really.

See the difference? My, you sure do ramble!

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 10:20 pm

.... touchy subject.

I say it's great for victims to get some actual acknowledgement. I think all abused people diserved to have their depression changed into the opposite, rather than keep hearing excuses.

Excuses such as "Ignore them and they will go away" That's not true. "Have you considered that they are abused?" Gee, how dare I mention her shoveing me, or tell about the group threatening to kill me. You get what I mean right? Yes they mean well, but that's not helpful, and teachers and counselors need to know how to help.

Also, here's one thing about the general public school system. They are designed to take on large groups of kids who are mentaly compatable with the majority of it's areas locals. They have limited time to properly teach all the children as they need it. Many things can go wrong between students, and the teacher often won't see it. It's not easy to. After all, they take care of more than 20 students each class room. All the things the children and their teachers have to learn are crammed into short spaces of time. So of course there is no fast solution.

Why would some of us get "hung up" about bullying? An innocent, naive girl I used to be got mauled to death by ugly words, mind tricks, and isolation. I can't just whipe it away with a magic wand.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 10:42 pm

If you cannot get people to respect you, then make them FEAR you. That way, you will be left alone. I learned the black arts (not witchcraft but trade craft) at around 20 year so age. Revenge tactics, lock picking, poisoning techniques and much more are involved in the black arts. Once you learn these, DO NOT USE THEM DIRECTLY! DO NOT MAKE THREATS EITHER! The simple way to use this knowledge is to write a fictional story or even a factual one depicting the actual use of these skills. The key here is to sound like you know what you are talking about. Another thing, if your bully is superstitions, you can use that against them as well. Play the bullies against one another. There are books that show how to do that. I have had to resort to doing this in order to be left alone. In fact, I have even gained a bit of respect.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

30 Jul 2008, 10:52 pm

FreedomG wrote:
The solution many of you have is to change society and increase protection of the afflicted, the problem is is that already exists and it still continues, not working enough? That's an example of something that doesn't work being applied only to say that they are trying to fix the problem. The real issue here is the public school system in general, designed from the ground-up by Western industrialized states to educate a workforce to man the factories, it also like the factories it mans becomes a sort of assembly line for people.
The solution is to beat the living sh*t out of them and let them and their friends know that you are willing to ramp it up even more no matter how far they think they are willing to go. This is not an issue to be solved with reasoned debate. It is solved with deliberate, determined, painful violence that will leave a visceral aversion to any further dealings with the intended victim. Just having the right attitude avoids a lot of problems. :twisted:

FreedomG

30 Jul 2008, 11:17 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
FreedomG,

If Bullies were LITERALLY Gorillas, I could stay away and we could have our own areas. I would actually like to RESPECT various animals such as Gorillas, so THEY have a place. Bullies are DIFFERENT.

As for being overblown? I have had a few black eyes, had my head bashed into a locker, and of course just plain physical violence. There have been OTHER ways more insidious, etc...

You're the troll, sir
You've insulted me on two of my threads, you and the person with the Blossom avatar.
You make it your mission to derail any argument I have with insults, why don't you get over the emotions and fight fair. It sounds like you want to play the role of the bully in an arena where you're sure of victory. You can't win in the real world, so you come online and pick fights with people who question topics you find sensitive.

And to the second person
I believe I said in the other thread that I can write my posts any way I want to. If you don't like it, don't read it. If I want to sound like a blithering idiot I can, I don't need the lone officer of the grammar police breathing down my neck.

Also, what evidence is there that suggests bullying causes suicide?
produce the results
Bullying is a factor, not a cause. And if you want to solve the problem, allow the students to sort amongst themselves, to have an arbitrary third party come in and decide who is right and who is wrong is not solving anything but derailing any hope of solution.

Yes, I'm wording these in a crappy way, well, do I get a ticket, do I have to go to grammar court?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 11:30 pm

FreedomG wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
FreedomG,

You're the troll, sir
You've insulted me on two of my threads, you and the person with the Blossom avatar.
You make it your mission to derail any argument I have with insults, why don't you get over the emotions and fight fair. It sounds like you want to play the role of the bully in an arena where you're sure of victory. You can't win in the real world, so you come online and pick fights with people who question topics you find sensitive.

And to the second person
I believe I said in the other thread that I can write my posts any way I want to. If you don't like it, don't read it. If I want to sound like a blithering idiot I can, I don't need the lone officer of the grammar police breathing down my neck.

Also, what evidence is there that suggests bullying causes suicide?
produce the results
Bullying is a factor, not a cause. And if you want to solve the problem, allow the students to sort amongst themselves, to have an arbitrary third party come in and decide who is right and who is wrong is not solving anything but derailing any hope of solution.

Yes, I'm wording these in a crappy way, well, do I get a ticket, do I have to go to grammar court?

FreedomG,

First:
It was nice of you to post in paragraphs I do appreciate it.

Second:
Sure, you can write the way you want but think of all us poor souls reading what you write. It's just easier to read something in paragraphs than it is to read something in one big lump.

I am doing the same thing it's not like I am being a hypocrite.

FreedomG

30 Jul 2008, 11:33 pm

The fact that you have to harass me about that on all of my discussions is annoying and beside the point at hand.