Could head trauma make your symptoms stronger?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

msinglynx
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2008, 12:38 pm

A few years ago I was riding a bike in the eveing along a highway, I started getting really nervous by the trafic & stressed out waiting to cross, so I paniked and misjudged distance and got hit by a car coming around from behind a truck. It only hit me in the head, but apart from a lot of scrathes and some stitches I didnt seem to be hurt. At the hospital I got very tired & grumpy & thru an immature fit until they let me go home, so they didnt really check my CAT scan very attentively since I was making such a chore of myself.

But I have noticed that I have speaking problems I didnt have before & that some problems I had previously were given a respite.
For example:

In my head, the way an image & word is linked, it seems like sometimes the words are switched and match up to the wrong image, so I have a really hard time with "left" & "right" I know which is which, it just takes e a minute to remember, so I'm horrible at giving diractions... but also sometimes like, in my head I'll have a picture of a carrot but I say banana or stuff like that, but I did not have such a hard time with it before.

I had started to thinking my hearing was off, but I got it checked & it is norma, I really thought I was going deaf, but it seems like it is how I process words, in big groups or even just slightly noisy places I can barely understand anything I am told, but I never had a problem before, or at least I never noticed (maybe becuz before I never went out to bars, etc & had almost no friends to talk to)

I also used to have some pretty extreme head pains that would come & go whenever I was stressed, but I could also "hear" the pain, if that makes sense, but that had completely stopped until just recently, it seems to be starting up again.

I'm not so sure these would be "symptoms" per se, but yea... what do you think?

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 1:19 pm

I'm not sure there's any relation. Are you my relative? My whole family does this stuff, it seems to be inherited in our case. (And I'm the only aspie, by the way.)

Quote:
In my head, the way an image & word is linked, it seems like sometimes the words are switched and match up to the wrong image, so I have a really hard time with "left" & "right" I know which is which, it just takes e a minute to remember, so I'm horrible at giving diractions... but also sometimes like, in my head I'll have a picture of a carrot but I say banana or stuff like that, but I did not have such a hard time with it before.

In our case, it gets worse with age. I've had my mom go through family, neighbors, and a couple pets before getting my name. She's also always using the wrong word, and won't even notice most of the time unless you tell her. Such as "I borrowed your umbrella" (it was the wheelbarrow.) I do it already, but I'm not too bad yet.

I can't do left and right without looking at my hands. I know them, but need to look every time or I say the wrong one.

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2008, 2:10 pm

Where you diagnosed with any disorder before the traffic acident, like AS or autism?

Brunny
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2008, 2:22 pm

My brother is an aspie. About 10 years ago he got hit by a car and suffered major brain damage. His memory is now very bad and he has epileptic fits. Also his balance is bad. Those were all new things that came from the head injury.

However, I have also noticed that his difficulties associated with Aspergers have increased since his accident. He now has meltdowns quite frequently. I never saw him have one before the accident. He very frequently says things which are considered "inappropriate" and his social skills are much worse.

He has also memorised every word of the complete works of Shakespeare since his accident! (although he still can't remember to take his anti-epilepsy pills)

Me and him used to be about equal on our level of "aspieness" but now he is clearly a lot more aspie than me.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 2:47 pm

Might be so. When I was about 5 or 6, I was practicing balancing on a thin strip of wall, and what do you know, the minute my dad turns his back on me, I fall off the wall and hit my head on the driveway cement. I still have the dent over my left eye today. It was so long ago I can't tell if any problems necessarily resulted from it or anything. I know I had problems before that, but I don't know about any specific new ones that came of the accident. That and I had to have a congenital brain tumor (which in itself might have explained some of the difficulties...) removed a couple years back. All I've noticed from that, though, is that I get a little twitchy sometimes when I'm uncomfortable.

msinglynx
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2008, 4:59 pm

grain-and-field wrote:
Where you diagnosed with any disorder before the traffic acident, like AS or autism?

Just ADD & Depression, becuz of my odd reactions, but mostly if I was depressed it was becuz I couldnt understand why people were so IRRATIONAL, & ADD becuz of my bad/wierd concentration, becuz my younger brother is very typical ADHD