Orwell's Diaries to be Published online next week

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

monty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 2:51 pm

George Orwell's diaries will be published online starting august 9th; each day will be published like a blog, exactly 70 years from the day that he wrote them. He apparently kept a diary from 1938 to 1942, so we have about 4 years of postings to look forward to.

http://www.utne.com/2008-07-31/GreatWri ... ?blogid=38

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 3:02 pm

monty wrote:
George Orwell's diaries will be published online starting august 9th; each day will be published like a blog, exactly 70 years from the day that he wrote them. He apparently kept a diary from 1938 to 1942, so we have about 4 years of postings to look forward to.

http://www.utne.com/2008-07-31/GreatWri ... ?blogid=38

Added to my list of favorites. Thanx!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 4:21 am

For some reason, when I read the title I thought you were talking about WP's Orwell....haha...

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 4:26 am

Cyanide wrote:
For some reason, when I read the title I thought you were talking about WP's Orwell....haha...

As did I, thinking to myself "And?"

monty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 12:18 pm

The fact that there is an Orwell here was partly why I posted that link - thought it might be of interest.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 6:04 pm

Ok..... Why do people idolize George Orwell on one hand, then despise everything he ever wrote ABOUT on the other hand?.... "crazy conspiracy theorist". Same for George Carlin, he spoke out against big business and banking and these "elites" too, he was a "crazy conspiracy theorist" but people love his comedy, idolize his character, but absolutely hate what he's talking about. So apparently George Orwell and George Carlin are the only people who can get away with telling the truth? Is it something about the name "George"?

monty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 7:11 pm

snake321 wrote:
Ok..... Why do people idolize George Orwell on one hand, then despise everything he ever wrote ABOUT on the other hand?.... "crazy conspiracy theorist". Same for George Carlin, he spoke out against big business and banking and these "elites" too, he was a "crazy conspiracy theorist" but people love his comedy, idolize his character, but absolutely hate what he's talking about. So apparently George Orwell and George Carlin are the only people who can get away with telling the truth? Is it something about the name "George"?

Good question - perhaps I should change my name to George.

On another forum, it seemed like once a month someone would tack up some conservative rant that they would attribute to either George Carlin or Robin Williams. The ideas they presented were nothing like the political beliefs of those 2 people. Why not just say 'here are some ideas' instead of 'George Carlin wants to know why ...."

Mark Twain is another one like that. You can say "Mark Twain said ..." to about any brief, somewhat clever quote.