Autism Awareness Stuff on Other Ppls Cars, What Do You Do?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 4:53 pm

When you see other people with any kind of autism awareness stickers on their car, do you wave to them, acknowledge them at all? especially if you have one of your car as well?

I wave to everybody with an autism awareness sticker, idk y lol, i lovvvve to be waved too haha. Our our car we have the two alert stickers on the back windows that say "occupant with autism may not respond to verbal commands" for the cops because of how bad i was abused last time, and an autism awareness puzzle on the back. So i would assume ppl already know im the one with autism haha, we even had a girl honk at us as we turned hehehe :D .

Just want to see what everybody else thinks or does when they see the autism awareness stuff on other peoples cars :?:

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 4:58 pm

I don't have any on my car. I don't acknowledge those people, but I tend to back off and not drive aggressively towards them. They are in the same boat with me.

GodsWonder
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Aug 2008, 5:22 pm

I don't do anything but I did just buy three of the Autism Awareness puzzle magnets for my vehicles.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 5:27 pm

havent seen a lot of autism awareness stickers or poster type things apart from here [home] and at NAS HQ and their day centres,the nas do not even have awareness stickers on their service user cars-am don't think they're as widely available as in the US here? wonder if that is the only reason?

am dont notice in public whether there are any on cars,and would only see them if they were on a parked favourite car,
but have yet to see any-at least as far as can remember.
am wouldn't do anything if saw one.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 6:42 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
havent seen a lot of autism awareness stickers or poster type things apart from here [home] and at NAS HQ and their day centres,the nas do not even have awareness stickers on their service user cars-am don't think they're as widely available as in the US here? wonder if that is the only reason?

am dont notice in public whether there are any on cars,and would only see them if they were on a parked favourite car,
but have yet to see any-at least as far as can remember.
am wouldn't do anything if saw one.

Yea i see them on cars alllll the time, and usually the ppl smile and wave back. I saw one today and the kid whom i knew was autistic because he was in his booster seat biting his hands, rocking, staring, i showed him my cellphone man, my cell phone has a special rubber cover with hands and feet lol i rub it and bite it lol, anyways the mother didnt look but he did, but usually ppl smile or wave at us.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 6:43 pm

I see those quite frequently.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2008, 7:11 pm

I've really never seen anything prominently displayed around here - such as the car magnets, ribbons, bumper stickers, etc.

That said, we (apparently) have a Walk Now For Autism in my area. This I know because the other day I saw a van with a poster for the event taped to the rear windows either side, outside a grocery store where I was running errands. I looked closer and saw that a photograph of a young boy in a cowboy hat was glued onto each poster and captioned, "Bucks for Brendon." Intrigued. I stepped away. And then the middle-aged couple driving the van arrived and began loading their groceries.
Ordinarily, I would never have done anything, but lately I've been sort of inspired to put myself in unusual social situations, to meet the awkwardness head-on and dispel it with openness, if possible. So I said, "Hi! I'm not good at social interactions. Can you tell me about your poster?" They were quite happy to, and told me about the boy in the picture, their nephew with autism, as well.
It isn't something in which I'll participate, but it was interesting to try the asking, and interesting to talk to the people for a few moments.

01 Aug 2008, 8:32 pm

I don't ever see any autism stickers or lisence plate holders (whatever those are called) on cars. I only saw it one time in Montana which said "I love someone who has autism."
Turns out that person didn't live far from me because I followed him home because he happened to be going the same direction I was going. I saw him pull into the drive way.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 9:18 pm

if they have the autism speaks bumper sticker i make a face at them

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Aug 2008, 10:05 pm

I see them constantly. We live just a mile from my son's developmental ped's office and apparently she has many clients in this area.

I want to wave and cry at the same time. (Cry because it's ppl like me.)

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 10:11 pm

i mentally thank them for showing some type of support or acknowledgement of us... :wink:

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2008, 11:28 pm

I haven't seen these, but I'll keep an eye out for them now that I know.

All I have is a bumper sticker that says "Meat is Murder," but "meat" is crossed out and replaced with "wheat." Yeah, I'm a Maddox fan. :D

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 12:11 am

Age1600 wrote:
When you see other people with any kind of autism awareness stickers on their car, do you wave to them, acknowledge them at all? especially if you have one of your car as well?

I wave to everybody with an autism awareness sticker, idk y lol, i lovvvve to be waved too haha. Our our car we have the two alert stickers on the back windows that say "occupant with autism may not respond to verbal commands" for the cops because of how bad i was abused last time, and an autism awareness puzzle on the back. So i would assume ppl already know im the one with autism haha, we even had a girl honk at us as we turned hehehe :D .

Just want to see what everybody else thinks or does when they see the autism awareness stuff on other peoples cars :?:

I love your bumper sticker! Where I am from NO ONE has an autism bumper sticker. I drive quite a lot and this is a small town. I don't have any bumper stickers. I appreciate bumper stickers.....how fun to wave at another with an autism bumper sticker.

Note: Age1600, I am so sorry about your scary police incident. In the previous Autism and Asperger's Digest magazine there was a lengthy and well written article about those with autism and the police. I thought about you and what happened......you're not alone. The article related about even autistic children being terrified with flashing lights, sirens, etc. The article brought up many issues and had doable ideas for police departments to educate themselves about those with autism so what happened to you, for instance, doesn't reoccur. It's the May '08 magazine issue. Sorry if this is a quasi-PM, but I had wanted to let you know! Wonder if your police dept. would read the article and learn! The magazine is produced by Future Horizons if you want to check out the article.

In some ways your bumper sticker is informative too (& fun)!

Malsane
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Aug 2008, 12:31 am

I sort of spaz when I see one. It makes me happy that someone cares.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 12:35 am

LabPet wrote:
Age1600 wrote:

I love your bumper sticker! Where I am from NO ONE has an autism bumper sticker. I drive quite a lot and this is a small town. I don't have any bumper stickers. I appreciate bumper stickers.....how fun to wave at another with an autism bumper sticker.

Note: Age1600, I am so sorry about your scary police incident. In the previous Autism and Asperger's Digest magazine there was a lengthy and well written article about those with autism and the police. I thought about you and what happened......you're not alone. The article related about even autistic children being terrified with flashing lights, sirens, etc. The article brought up many issues and had doable ideas for police departments to educate themselves about those with autism so what happened to you, for instance, doesn't reoccur. It's the May '08 magazine issue. Sorry if this is a quasi-PM, but I had wanted to let you know! Wonder if your police dept. would read the article and learn! The magazine is produced by Future Horizons if you want to check out the article.

In some ways your bumper sticker is informative too (& fun)!

Hmm thanks, i should check that out. I'm glad u told me! I hateeee flashing lights, i start siezing now its bad. After we put those stickers up on the car, police seem to be soooo much more understanding, we got pulled over one time because his headlight was out, and the cops read the stickers and just smiled at me, and let us go with a warning. Seemed more understanding. At first i didnt want them to be up on the windows almost seemed like i was parading around that i have autism letting the WHOLE world know, felt ashamed, felt stupid, but it worked out for the best. PEople read them all the time, and smile, almost like its a huge relief because people seem to understand. I'm really surprised actually by how people react to it.

Also i notice a lot of people dont see autism awareness stuff on cars, which i find crazy, by me in NJ, i see it alllllllll the time everywhere. We saw a mini van with like 6 stickers just on that one mini van. Autism awareness big ribbons, puzzle piece, one that said i love someone with autism, even small autism awareness ribbons, it was great. I dont know if its because we have a higher rate of autism in NJ, but even in restaurants, stores, ppl seem to understand. On my car has the autism awareness ribbon, and the license plate cover that says "autism never a dull moment" and a bumper sticker that says "autistic- just the way i am" and one time my mother was driving my car, and some lady actually pulled up next to her to see where she got the bumper stickers because she loved them.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 1:03 pm

Never seen any bumper stickers. And the most I would probably do is think "neat" :?