Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 6:31 pm

Hasn't happened in a long time... but it happened last night when i was working alone... just started hearing some music... as it often is, it was kind of mottled and distant... but clear as anything.

I remember calling my mom to my room at night cause i would hear music and ask her where it was coming from... and of course, she never heard it.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

sim
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 6:35 pm

Music is always perfectly audible in my head. Mostly classical piano or neoclassical guitar.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 6:52 pm

Is it always in the same places, and when it's quiet? The reason that I ask is that sometimes when things are really quiet around me I can hear the buzzes of electrical currents through things like TVs, phone chargers ect... The high pitch almost has a musical quality to it.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 6:59 pm

^^^ yeah sometimes i convince myself it's that cause i hear such electrical things too... couldn't figure what it would have been last night... though it was really quiet

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Aug 2008, 7:48 pm

Sedaka wrote:
Hasn't happened in a long time... but it happened last night when i was working alone... just started hearing some music... as it often is, it was kind of mottled and distant... but clear as anything.

I remember calling my mom to my room at night cause i would hear music and ask her where it was coming from... and of course, she never heard it.

Nothing special about that. It´s the same like remembering a song in your head. I like it, because I can choose the music myself. which is better than radio crap!

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 8:09 pm

Actually that's a musical hallucination. Not a bad thing, just see it as having a higher (and rarer) form of musical imagery.
I have the same thing : )

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Aug 2008, 8:18 pm

Aurore wrote:
Actually that's a musical hallucination. Not a bad thing, just see it as having a higher (and rarer) form of musical imagery.

Is it really that rare? Don´t know if I translate it right: What´s the difference between that and an earworm(or catchy tune or whatever you call this in english)?

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 8:38 pm

mango_prom wrote:
Aurore wrote:

Is it really that rare? Don´t know if I translate it right: What´s the difference between that and an earworm(or catchy tune or whatever you call this in english)?

Earworm is the correct term. : )

Basically the difference between having an earworm and a musical hallucination is the same as the difference between visualizing a spider and actually seeing it in front of you. : ) Musical hallucinations are rare, whereas musical imagery and earworms are almost universal.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 9:41 pm

Well, a benign auditory hallucination doesn't qualify you for anything awful (yet...), but my incredibly professionally experience (read: internet anecdotes), the only context I've personally heard of this in was in Schizotypals.

Not trying to freak you out or anything.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 10:40 pm

whenever it happens... it's always real rhythmic music and repetitive.

i also have other weird audio things that happen.. sometimes, when i'm listening to music... it will suddenly "unravel"... like all the components get out of sync and it sounds like a garbled cacophony. usually happens right as a song is coming on (starting)... and it's real weird to experience... cause i'll know that i recognize the song even though i can't hear it in a coherent manner... and if i pay attention long enough... it will eventually come back together and sound proper.

it's really weird... i've never heard of this happening to anyone else.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 10:55 pm

Yes I have heard music before and didn't know where it was coming from!! !! It's so weirdddddddddddd!! ! It was late at night too.

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 10:56 pm

I can also hear music how it is in my head.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 11:31 pm

I can make white noise sound like music, it's the same way you can pick out shapes in the clouds.

Also, there might have been music playing distantly. I remember once I kept telling my dad to answer the door, and he kept telling me I was hallucinating, until finally he went up and looked out the front door, and there was someone persistently knocking across the street.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 7:19 am

I get the same thing sometimes.

I went to a lecture by Oliver Sacks tonight (it was an awesome lecture concerning his book Musicophilia ) where he mentioned musical hallucinations, and was very emphatic in distinguishing them from psychotic hallucinations.

I did a quick search on the subject, and found some links (links are to the abstracts of articles):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2023984

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 1&SRETRY=0

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15003072

And a link to the search so people can get more results:

http://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?q= ... tnG=Search

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 4:53 pm

I often hear sounds other people in the same room can't hear. I've often wondered what some sound is or where it's coming from and everybody else is clueless about what I'm talking about, because they can't hear a thing even if they try.

There is also very often music playing inside my head. Every day, the second I wake up, I hear a song in my head, just some random song that I might not have heard for a long time. For most of the day I hear some music in my head too, but I always know it's just in my head.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 7:37 pm

I sometimes hear sad melodies in the drone of the refrigerator, fans, vent noises, etc. If I concentrate hard enough I can hear music underneath almost any kind of sound. It's usually something unique too, not just a melody that's already in my head. I don't know if this is what you're talking about.

It once gave me the idea to go out and record sounds and then manipulate the pitch onto music. Just a far fetched dream now though. I don't have a clue how people would go about something like that.