Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

joaquingray
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2008, 8:08 pm

Hi there folks. I'm new here, but I come with a purpose other than to chat, being so very excited about finding this website! I just finished reading several books which contain information that I have been seeking for a very long time.. The books are quasi overviews of the current trends in physical science, trends which are rapidly turning "science" towards mysticism.

The first book, and perhaps the more inspirational of the two, is I Am A Strange Loop by Douglas Hofstadter. I hope that perhaps some of you may find that same excitement and relief in reading this book, though I cannot be sure.

The second, The Web of Life by Fritjof Capra is a rather specific, scientific view of things. There are moments when he clearly is being hypocritical to the general theme, but obviously it is a difficult study for some minds to approach. The overall ideas were very interesting.

Essentially, iz gut stuff.. without writing a book on the subject, I highly recommend.

All best, Joaquin

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 8:09 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 11:02 pm

Welcome to WP! :)

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 11:17 pm

Hi welcome joaquingray to the "right" planet 8O :roll: :wink:

Thanks for that, looks like a very interesting read, I often feel like a strange loop myself...

I agree the only way to find our true selves is to stop being the stereo type imagine, refection of what we feel we should be and look deep within....

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 11:20 pm

NEVER DIE EASY by Walter Payton

That guy was an amazing individual. He always give his best at everything and went out of his way for other people because he felt he had a moral obligation to. I don't think I've read any books that were more more inspiring.

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2008, 11:36 pm

Welcome :)

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

joaquingray
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Aug 2008, 2:47 pm

asplanet wrote:
Hi welcome joaquingray to the "right" planet 8O :roll: :wink:

Woi, thank you! Glad to be here!

Quote:
I agree the only way to find our true selves is to stop being the stereo type imagine, refection of what we feel we should be and look deep within....

This is part of the reason why I came to this website.. my parents raised me in a home-school environment (that is, they disagreed at some level with "education" as most people see it) and thus I was never trained that some of my behaviors were "wrong", "right", "good" or "evil." At several points I decided for myself to see what "general education" was all about, and as you can imagine it was very hard for a ten-year-old to deal with "normal fifth graders" for the first time. In a way I was lucky because I wasn't taught from a young age that my internal workings had some relative valuation, but the effect my behaviors had on "normal" people was still horrible and violent. The correlation to the characters in "X-men" that I made at that young age should be obvious in it's analogy.

As I spent a few hours reading the various posts and articles here on WrongPlanet I felt a direct and emotional correlation between the experiences which I have had and those which people have written about. Though I labeled myself "NT" when I created my account, that selection simply reflects the fact that my parents never considered my behaviors "atypical".. thus in my "strange loop" mind, I do not consider myself atypical. Of course, in the years since my childhood, I have had to deal with the same difficulties incorporating myself into the larger society many of you have had, I just happened to have generated a slightly different framework of understanding for the pain and frustration. (I didn't have anything to "blame" it on.. very frustrating!)

A simple example of non-WrongPlanet-people-confusion is the modern (i.e. recent) idea that being "anti-social" is a bad thing. Well, some may say that an axe murderer is "anti-social" but so is the behavior which Beethoven had to exhibit in order to write the Moonlight sonata: In order to create such beautiful music he had to spend hours and hours of focused work and study without talking to other people. Here we see a deficiency in the way some people understand "anti-social" as a term simply because people end up equating "not talking to other people" as "being bad." Often enough "being bad" will be translated as "being destructive" which in itself has a huge variety of possible meanings, many of which are unspoken and assumed. Those unspoken assumptions of human behavior are sensed by people (like us) who find a serious conflict between the things they experience and the things that they are told. We then eventually create a separation of "us" and "them" because it makes it easier for everyone to cope with these problems. But, the real problem is when people from one group attack the people from the other group for being different: See Michael Savage. This is a simple example of how people get into wars, and over what? A few simple words.

"I Am A Strange Loop" goes into most of this, and although there are some portions which obviously show that Hofstadter is a Mathematician at heart (it can be rough reading in the middle portions) there is tons of info in there that has helped me understand life's quirks and pangs.

Best regards,
Joaquin

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 4:11 pm

joaquingray wrote:
[quote="asplanet"We then eventually create a separation of "us" and "them" because it makes it easier for everyone to cope with these problems.

I often do this and exclude myself, I find at times the outside world drains me, but I also find when at these points I am most creative.... my husband is taking a week off soon and I am so hoping he will go away so I can complete my art work on my own, its not his thought but I often feel to controlled when he is around.

Its like I feel the need to shut down and block out the NT world at times, so that I can lose myself in the extremities of my art work...

I often feel our pain and frustration comes from others not wanting to proceed our differences as normal to us...

joaquingray
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Aug 2008, 5:29 pm

asplanet wrote:
I often do this and exclude myself, I find at times the outside world drains me, but I also find when at these points I am most creative.... my husband is taking a week off soon and I am so hoping he will go away so I can complete my art work on my own, its not his thought but I often feel to controlled when he is around.

I'm a musician and I know exactly what you mean... I feel like I have to "divert" some of my attention to behaviors which distract me from the work.

asplanet wrote:
Its like I feel the need to shut down and block out the NT world at times, so that I can lose myself in the extremities of my art work...

I've been investigating this sort of thing, partially through books like I am a Strange Loop, and I am starting to wonder if part of my "problem" is that I get caught up in the fractal, loopy nature of our ideas. I notice even now as I think about it I feel like I'm starting to break up... there's no ending when you think about ideas. They go on and on forever, like a room with mirrors on all of the walls. It seems to me that my "idea window" is easily and infinitely extensible where other people have no way to even know that such a thing exists -- though it does exist and is probably very static for them. In one way it's a great thing to know where my "idea window" is, but without an operational understanding of it (something that I've been searching for) the hugeness of the universe can seem devastating.

asplanet wrote:
I often feel our pain and frustration comes from others not wanting to proceed our differences as normal to us...

That's why I was excited to see such a community on this website! Whilst some people think to educate us, perhaps it should be the other way around?

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 5:35 pm

joaquingray wrote:
Whilst some people think to educate us, perhaps it should be the other way around?

I agree

I often use to lose myself as a child in the concepts of the hugeness of the universe, and where I fitted... now I prefer to lose myself within my own depths, look within as there is a reason for our differences...

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Aug 2008, 6:58 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 6:08 am

joaquingray, very glad to meet you! Enjoy your stay here :wink: