Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 3:18 pm

After trying to get a trained dog but being rejected because of being too disabled, she went out and trained a dog. That's how it all started. Now she runs a service (4 Paws for Ability)that tries to put trained dogs in houses with kids, specially focused on autism:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/07/16/he ... index.html

this is her page:
http://www.4pawsforability.org/

:)

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 5:25 pm

AA dogs are great though they're not widely used,in the UK they are being trained for autism,but is not fair- only for children,adult autists who don't have a lot of human support could probably get a lot more from them.

am would never have an animal that is trained to stay at side whatever the problem because am would never want to hurt one during meltdown,behavior etc,dont know how that is dealt with those who already have AA dogs.

animals are great for the patience they have and the work they do for autists,epileptics,blind/VI or deaf/HI,they should be treated like gods,government should spend all the royalty money on the assistance or guide animals as it's them who are saving them funding on human carers/support staff.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2008, 6:56 pm

In the article says that it's not only for kids.

BTw, what does AA and AM mean? As in "am would never have an animal"

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 9:56 am

Thank you for posting this. I'm going to do some research to see if I can get one for my sons. Though, I'd probably have to take out a loan as expensive as they are.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 12:12 pm

computerlove wrote:
In the article says that it's not only for kids.

Yes, but the website implies that they focus on placing dogs with kids, especially the autism assistance dogs. According to the website, they train dogs to help with other things too, such as seizures, mobility issues, and combinations of disabilities. The founder of the organization trained her service dog when she was an adult, so many they work with adults on occasion, but all of the success stories seem to be about children.