Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

AnAlias
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 3:09 am

This is my attempt at a watercolor. What does everyone think?

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 4:04 am

I like the colors. With the dead tree in the forefront, it seems a very lonely picture. To be a painting I would buy, it would need to be happier and have better technique. For a very first watercolor I think you are starting out ok. I would like to see what your paintings look like five years from now.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 7:21 am

I like it. Reminds me of the watercolours I used to do.

Keep it up. :thumright:

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 8:30 am

I like the different kinds of blue. The picture looks a bit sad, it seems to have feeling in it, that is nice. The shade under the tree could be a bit lighter, but that is personal taste.

To give the short answer, nice painting!

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 9:15 am

Over all, I really like the colors, save the exact shade of green of the sun. I agree that the technique needs some work, but hey... first water color, it is a slippery medium. I also agree it would be very interesting to see where you are with it in a few years with this medium. Stick with it. Obvious talent, technical aptitude and eye.

I love the lonely tree and the sense of mood. I get a sense of stillness, and heat.

Your composition is interesting in terms of the sort of "V" that was made with the water. It definitely draws the eye down to... well... nothing significant. Which is a little anti-climactic. I have a nagging sense of a missed opportunity to maybe tell a story there.

Also, I found that strong "V" and the very green sun in the left corner a little jarring in their juxtaposition and (very sorry here) not in a good way. Maybe tone down the green, or make the sun smaller and put the whole thing in there, or some multi tones in the green of the sun, more subtle... Perhaps consider all of the above...? Just some thoughts.

It is very good, especially for a first attempt. I do like it. Sorry if this is harsh. Please remember art is subjective and opinions are worth what they are worth.

Keep painting! :)

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 9:16 am

I like how you suggested the directionality of the light-source.

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 9:52 am

Go on, you're talented without doubt! :)

AliasPseudonym
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Aug 2008, 11:08 am

Not too bad, you did very well with the water though perhaps it could have been better placed. The sky is the wrong colour for the water, or the water is the wrong colour for the sky, I think; the water is too intensely coloured for such a dull sky. Also, the sun shouldn't be green, somehow you need to keep the blue from seeping in. I think I see water splashing against the rock there, if it is then some should be splashed over the rock to give a depth guideline. The dead tree looks like it's floating, kind of, work on the orientation and lighting, and give it a stronger shadow to really stick it to the ground.

You've coloured the beach perfectly, I'm very impressed with the suggestions of waves. Basically, I would change the rock and the sky in this painting, and maybe add a boat or some rocks or fish in the water to improve the composition, or something on the horizon would also work well. Very well, come to think of it. Again, the water and the way it laps up on the beach are remarkably well done. It even looks like you can see the bottom through the shallower water, and I know from experience finding the correct colour for something like 'sand viewed through several feet of water' is no mean feet.

EDIT: Oh, and the sun (if it were bright) would seem a bit out of place in this, methinks. It gives the feel of a cloudy day.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2008, 2:14 pm

ConceptArt is a great place to go and get some critique. Sign up for their forums.

MadAme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Aug 2008, 8:12 am

The sea has a purple heart. The lonely tree is looking out at it and and seeing peace and hope.

Dogbrain
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2008, 3:42 pm

On its own, it's nothing impressive, but as a first attempt, I would encourage you to do more work with watercolor. It looks like something you could develop.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 5:35 pm

It's better than other first attempts I've seen. Most people use way too much paint, but you've understood the concept of the "water" part. Keep it up!

RustyShackleford
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2008, 7:38 pm

It makes me feel like I am in danger of falling from the rocky outcrop in to a very energetic and powerful looking ocean. I think you have a good eye keep it up.

One of the most important techniques in watercolour; which it looks as if you are dabbling with is the ability to control tone. Leaving white paper where the highlights need to be (like in your seafoam) until the end is tricky. I tend to draw out the darker areas first and layer over the top until the desired depth of colour is reached. It's only then that you can really see and modulate the highlights and sometimes plain white is more effective and dramatic than a slightly more realistic off white tone. Remember that detail isn't everything and that many watercolours are more about mood and composition. Quite often the way the paints flow into eachother with each application creates detail which cannot be created with simple brushstrokes like in your ocean.

Another interesting technique is to really study the colours in shadow. More detail and texture can be added simply by trying to capture the different shades in shadow. It is never just as simple as using a darker shade of the colour next to it and sometimes (depending on the light) shadows can even take on a bluish or purplish or brownish tint.

Bravo overall though. You have made me want to pick up the old watercolours!

AnAlias
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2008, 7:47 pm

Wow, you guys have told me stuff about my painting even I didn't know :). Thank you all for your opinions and your encouragement.