Do you consider your child/self Autistic or Gifted?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

08 Nov 2005, 12:18 pm

Okay well before Vlad (my 10y/o) was diagnosed this summer with Aspergers he was "Gifted" now that he has a diagnosis what is he? His speech therapist still considers him VERY smart, however the Psych reffers to his intelegence as Aspergers. So which is it? I would like to think that these kids are : Gifted children with Aspergers, NO?

All4Vlad

alex
Developer
Developer

08 Nov 2005, 1:05 pm

In elementary school I was in the gifted program. The other kids called it the smart kid's program since the teacher would take 3 of us out of the class of 25.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2005, 1:06 pm

One can very easily be gifted with Aspergers.

D has an IQ that places him in the "gifted" category. He also is pretty severly effected by his PDD-NOS. So, he's both. He is also very severly dyslexic/dysgraphic.

Its like saying one is right handed and tall. Its not an either/or situation.

(But, before someone else jumps on me, gifted/asperger's are more related that right hand/tall. ASD or LD often means the IQ tests come out odd. Which reduces the likelihood of being recognized as gifted. But still, AS and gifted are not mutually exclusive. )

BeeBee

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2005, 1:11 pm

Im taking a different reply approach then the last two posters.

Hes what ever he wants to be?

and

Hes what ever you want to see through your eyes?

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2005, 2:21 pm

I think that a requirement of being autistic/aspie is that your either gifted or twice-exceptional (serious problems in one area but genious in another.)

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

08 Nov 2005, 3:04 pm

Well he is absolute PERFECT in my eyes! :heart:

He is Gifted in all areas as has always scored in the top 3% in our state tests in all areas, but especially math. He is also very talented with drawing :) So i guess I will leave him at "GIFTED AUTIE"

08 Nov 2005, 3:05 pm

ohh, by the way I am not GUEST this is ALL4Vladi

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

19 Nov 2005, 10:41 pm

I was also in the "gifted" classes, but was diagnosed with learning disibilities. (at the time in the late 80's asperger's wasnt even a concideration in my area) I know now that the many things they said I had going on are the componants of Asperger's. Still cant find a DR in the upstate of SC that can diagnose an adult offically though....

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2005, 11:34 pm

My kids are autistic and even the higher functioning one scores with a very low IQ and is several years behind in math and a little better off in language skills.

My younger son is essentially non-verbal.

As for me, I've always scored very high in IQ tests and any kind of standardized tests (700's in all three sections of the Graduate Record Exams GRE). However, my high school, undergraduate, and even Masters level transcripts are mediocre at best. That is because I was always concentrating on the things I always concentrate on (Broadway musicals are high on the list).

It took a long time for me to learn to discipline myself so that I could do those things I had to do. It's still hard sometimes.