Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2008, 5:52 am

Does anyone use Ekiga or any other voice IP software? I was only interested because at the idea of recording my phone calls (difficult phone calls) so I can analyze them and see how they went and how I can improve them.

Last edited by one1ai on 11 Aug 2008, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 12:09 pm

I used to have an Ekiga account, but I destroyed my microphone by accident :oops:

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2008, 3:32 pm

Now I just checked and the cheapest mic costs 2.1 euro.

Some say that one should use Ekiga in conjunction with audacity to record a call, but it's too advanced for me, and I also got a (in my eyes) a problematic audacity. (using alsa, and I'm lots confused with this alsa thing)

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 3:41 pm

Well, add to the price the (monetary and non-monetary*) cost of going into the next big city and it's more expensive.

Audacity unfortunately still uses the OSS, which I haven't installed, it's kinda deprecated, but there is still legacy support in the kernel. I have never tried to access a mic in 2 Alsa applications at the same time, so I have no idea whether this works.

*I do not want to change trains at certain points, so many people... :shaking:

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2008, 3:50 pm

Lately I've began to use a replacement for teamspeak, called mumble (towards open source/free software directions) which I could use in the game, and I could at the same time also hear the game's sounds. In contrast to teamspeak where I could only hear stuff from that program.

on transportation to big city to get a microphone:
Yes, it will be very diffcult(if it was me). For me it would be near impossible I think to get it , because if I went to the city for another reason, then I would also need to remember to get a mic, and that's very unlikely for me to remember lots of stuff to do at the same time.

Kiski
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2008, 6:21 pm

Is recording someone's voice w/o their knowledge/permission legal in Europe?

because it's not here in the US.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 8:21 pm

Kiski wrote:
Is recording someone's voice w/o their knowledge/permission legal in Europe?

because it's not here in the US.

It is not legal without their knowledge, you would have to inform the person before you start recording that the call is being recorded or that there is a chance of it being recorded (the latter seems to be the standard disclaimer at the Deutsche Post hotline).

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2008, 3:23 am

My mind is extremely legal sensitive.

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2008, 5:52 am

I've managed to do it. Using audacity and Ekiga together works with alsa(latest sound system).

Now teamspeak2 already has this feature to record a conversation. I used it lots to understand what two people were saying.. after listening to it about 10 times I managed to grasp the meaning, of what they were saying. (this in Windows, before switching to linux)

Now it came to my mind that like in ubuntuforums to mark this thread as 'solved'. I don't know if it's possible though.

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 6:18 am

If you can edit the original post, you can add the word "SOLVED" to the subject.

AS is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

I'm the same as I was when I was six years old - Modest Mouse