Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 12:17 am

Ishmael wrote:
slowmutant, why defend Jenny? Look, I know she's trying - but shes a layman, not a scientist!
An average, every-day person - albeit with that foolish celebrity notion people attach to anybody they know of - but she has no authority! Trying doesn't count for jack sh** if you end up causing more harm than good.
As for DAN - Defeat Autism Now. Yeah, gee, THAT's an effort made in understanding - note the sarcasm.

If DAN or Jenny decide to invest in, oh, I don't know, unbaised legitimate medical research over the course of several years to identify any, note ANY, causes or environmental links in Autism, they can be my guest. But to parade on with unproven research that they claim is fact?

As the old expression goes, the road to hell is paved with the best intentions.

To which I'd like to add, that I was at a meeting of some very sharp medical people (I'm not one of them) which was not about Autism it was about PTSD, and during a break, one of the neurologists sat down with her cup of coffee and danish and said (in response to a remark about Jenny McCarthy and autism) "What's she got except a set of big tits? If she had a big brain, I'd be impressed. But where did she go to medical school...or did I miss something."

And one of the other people there said "meow." and this woman replied, I spent 15 years getting my education and I don't have all the answers, and I certainly wouldn't get up in front of a lot of people and boast that I'd cured something about which I knew next to nothing. And besides, I'm not built like she is.

btdt

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 7:50 pm

Maybe we should send that to Jenny? Might shut her up or piss her off. Either is good to me.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 11:48 pm

beentheredonethat wrote:
Ishmael wrote:
slowmutant, why defend Jenny? Look, I know she's trying - but shes a layman, not a scientist!
An average, every-day person - albeit with that foolish celebrity notion people attach to anybody they know of - but she has no authority! Trying doesn't count for jack sh** if you end up causing more harm than good.
As for DAN - Defeat Autism Now. Yeah, gee, THAT's an effort made in understanding - note the sarcasm.

If DAN or Jenny decide to invest in, oh, I don't know, unbaised legitimate medical research over the course of several years to identify any, note ANY, causes or environmental links in Autism, they can be my guest. But to parade on with unproven research that they claim is fact?

As the old expression goes, the road to hell is paved with the best intentions.

To which I'd like to add, that I was at a meeting of some very sharp medical people (I'm not one of them) which was not about Autism it was about PTSD, and during a break, one of the neurologists sat down with her cup of coffee and danish and said (in response to a remark about Jenny McCarthy and autism) "What's she got except a set of big tits? If she had a big brain, I'd be impressed. But where did she go to medical school...or did I miss something."

And one of the other people there said "meow." and this woman replied, I spent 15 years getting my education and I don't have all the answers, and I certainly wouldn't get up in front of a lot of people and boast that I'd cured something about which I knew next to nothing. And besides, I'm not built like she is.

btdt

I think I'd like that woman. :D

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 1:41 pm

Amanda Peet Speaks Out Against... http://www.wrongplanet.net/article372.html
Personally, I don't know much about these "fringe groups." On the surface, the vaccine argument sounds kinda dumb, so I haven't bothered to look into it. I will now.
On the other hand, Peet's argument is also flawed.

The word, "parasites" is not helpful and implies a number of things that are simply not true. In general, parents are trying to sort the facts from the fiction in a world where everyone lies about everything, all the time. A healthy suspision of new vaccines is just plain smart.

"It's irresponsible to suggest that virtually the entire medical community, and the CDC, and the American Academy of Pediatrics are behind a massive cover-up about vaccine safety."
This statement is totally irresponsible. Of course the entire medical community supports false information. They've done it a thousand times.
(Can you say "9/11 truth movement?")

Some of the mistakes of the medical community are more direct and visible.
See photo: http://engineering.cua.edu/biomedical/f ... pamimg.jpg
THE THALIDOMIDE TRAGEDY: Another Example Of Animal Research Misleading Science
http://www.pnc.com.au/~cafmr/online/res ... alid2.html

Some of their mistakes take longer to figure out.
See: The DES Cancer Network, FAQ. http://www.descancer.org/des.html
My sister-in-law was a test case in the DES story.

And it's been going on for a long time.
They say that for George Washington, the cause of his demise was that the doctors didn't know what else to do with his ailments, so they bled him to death. I just looked it up and it's not an urban legend: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Mead ... ngton.html

You just need to stay awake. Thinking is a good thing.

A complex issue like Autism is like the SIX BLIND MEN AND THE ELEPHANT.
Why can't Jenny also be correct? Could it be that everyone is right and has part of the story?
If she is correct, and vaccination is one of many triggers for someone with a pre-disposition, this is exactly how it would start.

Last edited by Tahitiii on 20 Aug 2008, 4:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 1:57 pm

Amen. I'll also throw in Vioxx and suggest googling the words "Merck vioxx fraud" and "Merck fraud university researchers".

Besides that, I found the story on the site about Peet pretty annoying to be honest. It was full of buzz words designed to provoke an emotional response and make you agree with the author (in this case, agreeing that Peet is good for speaking out and what she had to say was right, when in fact she was inflammatory and ill-informed, as you've rightly pointed out Tahitiii).