Not that I know of 40%  40%  [ 24 ]
No 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 60

arkityp
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2008, 9:25 pm

Aalto wrote:
It's not bad at all, though I'm more amazed by your dreadlocks, which I'm planning to get very soon. :D

EDIT: Not yours, but my own. Just clearing things up.

haha i can hear scissor noises a mile away :P

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 9:41 pm

StrawberryJam wrote:
Callista wrote:
I love the harmonies, especially when there are two different melodies (or more) going on at one time, like you often see with music from the baroque time.

yaaaay baroque music :3 its my favorite genre of music to play on my violin :o and harmony and two different melodies going on at the same time are two completely different musical terms, i just forgot the actual term for the two melodies going on at the same time... i think it was polyphony, but i was absent from advance orchestra and theory the week they went over it cause of bronchitis :/
I haven't really got any official training, apart from a few years of piano lessons. You are lucky to have learned the violin instead of the piano; you can carry a violin with you. It's harder to get to a piano. I'm not very good at playing, unfortunately. I do know that harmony is different from two melodies at the same time, but I don't know the term for it either--'counterpoint' maybe?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 2:42 am

__biro wrote:
I'm not talking about savant skills here. I seem to respond very differently to music then any NT's that I have met. For example when my friends listen to music they mostly listen to the words. I never listen to the words and I find it very difficult to listen to them and so I know hardly any words to my favourite songs. Instead I listen the music and not just the music, every single seperate note. I can easily say which instruments are being played and what tune they are playing and my friends can't seem to be able to do this. It's like I have different understanding of music then NT's.

Does anyone else hear music differently? How do you hear it?

Interesting question.
I was discussing this with an NT, the other day and was shocked at how important the lyrics were to him.

To me the lyrics are close to irrelevant.

I guess songs are poems set to music - but the poems only add mood rather than providing great pleasure.

Sometimes the lyrics almost impair melodic enjoyment, which is why I have a very strong preference for alyrical (instrumental) genres .... like Club, Trance, Chillout, etc.

For me, the music does the talking and transporting.
It takes me to places far farther than any lyric ever could, because it moves me at a very profound level.

But then Homo Sapiens was tonally-atuned long before he ever became verbal - in fact, long before he even became a primate.

Melody is so powerful because it's processed in more primitive parts of the brain (ie - at the hardware level) so it has immediate and powerful impact.
Lyrics are processed in the reasoning brain (software level), so it's impact is much less potent.

I listen to internet radio through my phone cabled to the car stereo, specifically because I can get narrow genre channels where the music is almost entirely alyrical.

When a number of my NT buddies get in the car, they often say "Oh no, not the Muzak" - because despite being emotive to me, it does nothing for them because there are no lyrics.

I regard these NT's as musical (melodic) Phillistines.
But they do like the Clubbier beats (no lyrics).

I guess for the tone-deaf, there is only the lyrics ... but that was never really a neurodivergent issue.

jess162k7
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2008, 6:51 am

__biro wrote:
I'm not talking about savant skills here. I seem to respond very differently to music then any NT's that I have met. For example when my friends listen to music they mostly listen to the words. I never listen to the words and I find it very difficult to listen to them and so I know hardly any words to my favourite songs. Instead I listen the music and not just the music, every single seperate note. I can easily say which instruments are being played and what tune they are playing and my friends can't seem to be able to do this. It's like I have different understanding of music then NT's.

Thats what my boyfriend is like but he doesnt have aspergers, its weird cos he notices the instruments playing in it, and knows like what other song the background tune comes from, and likes listening to the beat of songs he likes
And hes obsessed with music and making it

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 8:00 am

Depends on my mood. Usually I prefer the lyrics and the beats being nice, but sometimes I just wanna listen to something with nice beats.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Aug 2008, 8:19 am

I'm married to a musician. He says that I definitely listen to music differently. I have no musical talent, by the way. He says that I use a musician's ear inside a promoter's brain. I think that he's referring to my imaginary musical talent of being able to know who will hit ahead of time. I have a knack. I know what people are going to like. Weird considering that I can't predict anything else about people, huh?

I'm very word oriented as well. The music enhances the lyrics and makes them meaningful or it's all a bunch of crap to me. There's no in between. I don't get music without lyrics. So, my husband's love of the guitar gods is somewhat lost on me.

Oh well. I know that I definitely have somewhat odd tastes in music as well. I have a husband, he tells me that all the time! LOL.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 12:59 pm

I listen to pretty emotional music for the most part.
Mostly metal music such as Korn, Slipknot, Evanescence and nightwish.
But also some reggaeton, dance/trance but not much at the moment.
It's mostly about the way they show real emotion like it's happening to them whilst singing.

jamescampbell
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2008, 5:41 pm

i am able to both disect the music, instrument by instrument , note by note and listen to just the lyrics.

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2008, 6:17 pm

I feel really ephoric when I listen to music -like I could sudenly start fly or scream just for the joy of it. Sometimes I listen to the singer -not so much for the words -but as though the voice is an instrament just like the guitars and the piano est.

Dunno if anyone else feels like that. :oops: Maybe it's just me.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 6:26 pm

I've never really thought of this, but now that you bring it up-YES, I do!

Anybody ever notice the "hammers" in the Metallica song "Wherever I May Roam"? In the beginning, I mean.
Or the "crows" all throughout the entire ...And Justice For All album?
I love it when I hear something "out of the ordinary" in a song.

ericksonlk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2008, 8:02 pm

Schoenberg... and English renaissance music

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 8:21 pm

I usually listen to the beat and tone of the song I like upbeat stuff or stuff that talks to me personally in some manner or something I think sounds cool. I don't like most country stuff since it sounds depressing (maybe the words are talking about a boyfriend but the tone of the song is sad so I don't like it.) I usually listen to rock from Foo Fighters,REM,G&R I like all kinds not the Metal BANG BANG! Rock though! :-) I HATE rap except I do have some of Eminem's songs. :-)

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 1:23 pm

KateShroud wrote:
The whole experience is described as an unsolvable puzzle, where the pieces once fit but are now warped out of shape. It is a math equation with no solution.

Well see, that's the thing...a lot of people will look at the song, and say "What the heck do jigsaw puzzles have to do with anything?" and not look any deeper than that. The guy I was talking about, who said the music didn't relate to him, used Forty-six and Two as an example, he didn't understand what "picking scabs" had to do with his life.

And then there's always the infamous Stinkfist :wink: I don't even see anything sexual when I read those lyrics, I just see people who've gained a tolerance to something and need more to get the same feeling they used to get.

-JR wrote:
Or the "crows" all throughout the entire ...And Justice For All album?

Don't think I've ever listened to the album with headphones on, so no, I've never noticed any "crows" :? All I've noticed is the severe lack of Jason Newstead :x

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 2:22 pm

I like to listen to music, meanwhile NTs, I think, like to have noisa around.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 2:49 pm

I love very different kinds of music and mostly listen to the text. I can remember the text of songs very easily after hearing it a few times.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2008, 3:57 pm

__biro wrote:
I can easily say which instruments are being played and what tune they are playing and my friends can't seem to be able to do this. It's like I have different understanding of music then NT's.

Well, many NT´s can also distinguish instruments and notes easily, so no, I don´t hear music different from NT´s as there is no AS-specific way to respond to music. It´s all up to preference,taste and musical education.