Not that I know of 40%  40%  [ 24 ]
No 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 60

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 11:21 pm

KateShroud wrote:
Sorry for the triple post guys. It happened when WP was down for a few minutes. I sometimes like repetitive songs, but not posting.

There used to be a chronic problem with that on here about 2 years ago.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 12:38 pm

I do hear the melodies long before I hear the lyrics, but if I like a song enough, I do eventually learn the lyrics, because I like to sing along. I don't normally analyze the lyrics or anything like that, though...like others have said, I just like the rhythm and the phrasing.

KaneR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2008, 12:47 pm

I do agree with what you have said, however i do sometimes take notice of the words but not actually know what they mean, so if i am singing to a song i just say the words without knowing what i am saying if you know what i mean.

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Aug 2008, 10:07 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I do hear the melodies long before I hear the lyrics, but if I like a song enough, I do eventually learn the lyrics, because I like to sing along. I don't normally analyze the lyrics or anything like that, though...like others have said, I just like the rhythm and the phrasing.

i only do that when i get obsessed with a song lol

i have analyzed the translation to the lyrics to Cage - Dir en Grey, and now have formed my own opinion on what its about. ive also done the same to Raison Detre - Dir en Grey as well as Gyakujou Tannou Keloid Milk - Dir en Grey. yes, alot of dir en grey there, but theyre an easy obsession to follow because theyre popular enough on the internet to where i can actually find info on them, unlike the other bands i listen to :/

mastik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2008, 3:17 am

__biro wrote:
I'm not talking about savant skills here. I seem to respond very differently to music then any NT's that I have met. For example when my friends listen to music they mostly listen to the words.
Does anyone else hear music differently? How do you hear it?

Are you saying this is an Aspie trait? Are you sure that's not just a general trait?

I get laughed at pretty often for hearing only now the words to classic Rolling Stones songs that I've heard a million times. I just can't listen to words, but I'm a sucker for catchy tunes and will hum them for days at a time. I'm pretty solidly in the NT camp, btw, and studied at a conservatory. If I were aspie, I might think this was another aspie trait...

My bordeline Aspie son is quite musical, but I can't tell yet if he picks up on lyrics naturally.

-------------------

Minicity fun

Draws
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2008, 4:05 am

I too only listen to the music and not the words. I can't identify the notes, but only because I never too music lessons to know what to call them, If I assigned them names I'm sure I could as I am easily able to figure out songs on the piano by trial and error until it sounds right to me without the origional playing.

Ivanov_Kuznetsov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2008, 4:25 am

I like words when they are relevant and in good harmony with the instrumentals, but I often find myself getting bored with music that is too slow and not so flavorful as my normal types. I will generally stream from www.di.fm all day at work, and I find that it helps me to maintain some degree of focus. Occasional mixes and tracks will get my attention because it just seems to trigger something in my brain, even without words. It "feels" beautiful, the good music.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 5:01 am

__biro wrote:
I'm not talking about savant skills here. I seem to respond very differently to music then any NT's that I have met. For example when my friends listen to music they mostly listen to the words. I never listen to the words and I find it very difficult to listen to them and so I know hardly any words to my favourite songs. Instead I listen the music and not just the music, every single seperate note. I can easily say which instruments are being played and what tune they are playing and my friends can't seem to be able to do this. It's like I have different understanding of music then NT's.

Does anyone else hear music differently? How do you hear it?

I hear music like you do. I'd be worried if I didn't hear it like that now, after a decade and a half of musical training. I've been able to hear it like that for as long as I remember, though. I can't imagine focusing on the words rather than the music: to me, if the music isn't the primary focus, you may as well be listening to poetry with ignorable background music. (Of course, if the words and music are skilfully integrated, this isn't an issue.)

Speaking of disharmony, I have perfect pitch too, and I used to find that any mistuning was awful to listen to, but after doing various courses on non-Western music at uni, that have musics that don't use our tuning system, I find that I can listen to music that's not in equal temperament or just temperament and perceive it as interesting rather than annoying.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 9:59 am

When I am listening to music, I sometimes take it apart. Picking certain instruments to follow throughout the song. Lyrics are important too, especially Irish songs. They usually have a story to tell.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 1:03 pm

tomboy4good wrote:
They usually have a story to tell.

Oh yeah, I've always loved songs that told stories =)

But just about anything else, the lyrics just go right over my head...I remember in school, we'd have to analyze lyrics and poems and things like that...and I would just stare at them and go "It's about a dude who loves some chick" and couldn't see anything deeper than what was on the surface :?

I'm reminded of a guy on the Internet, who once said he didn't like TOOL because he couldn't relate to the lyrics :roll: I thought about it for a while, and I realized that so much of Maynard's words have double meanings...if you wanted to analyze them, you could come up with probably five meanings for every song.

Well, now I just sound like I'm contradicting myself :oops:

ed
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 3:56 pm

I too listen to the music and ignore the words, unless they're funny, or tell a story, or are political. Songs that I've heard literally hundreds, or even thousands of times, I still don't know the words. :lol:

I also like my music fast and upbeat. If it's slow, it had better be Powerful and Majestic! I'd love to rip out the slow movement from symphonies and concerti :lol:

KateShroud
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Austin, Texas, United States, north America, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

08 Aug 2008, 4:09 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
tomboy4good wrote:
They usually have a story to tell.

Oh yeah, I've always loved songs that told stories =)

But just about anything else, the lyrics just go right over my head...I remember in school, we'd have to analyze lyrics and poems and things like that...and I would just stare at them and go "It's about a dude who loves some chick" and couldn't see anything deeper than what was on the surface :?

I'm reminded of a guy on the Internet, who once said he didn't like TOOL because he couldn't relate to the lyrics :roll: I thought about it for a while, and I realized that so much of Maynard's words have double meanings...if you wanted to analyze them, you could come up with probably five meanings for every song.

Well, now I just sound like I'm contradicting myself :oops:

That's usually true with tool, but I like schism. I can relate to it, because to me the meaning seems pretty straight forward. It's about two people who fell in love, but the same thing which caused them to love each other in the first place has now caused them trouble communicating or understanding one another. The whole experience is described as an unsolvable puzzle, where the pieces once fit but are now warped out of shape. It is a math equation with no solution.

Bozewani
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2008, 6:26 pm

Yes, I can vividly see the lyrics.

For example:

September 77
Port Elizabeth
weather fine
it was business as usual
in Police Room 619

I can vividly see myself in Port Elizabeth, South Africa walking down the street, seeing loud screams and cries, and vitrolic Afrikaans insults (one of the best languages to curse in btw).

and i can feel clouds rolling in and the wind of Algoa Bay and the Agulhas Current, and it as if I am Stephen Biko

Ledvia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2008, 6:39 pm

no, i don't think so...though there are certain sounds in music that hurt my head....i can't stand it....but usually i listen to music according to the words (if the song has words to begin with)...and if if the lyrics are bad and i still like it, it must be a very good sound....and it also has to do with delivery...if the performer can't deliver it right, or their voice sounds unfitting to me then i wont listen to it...i prefer to look for covers on youtube xD... certain sounds can alter my mood...but i think thats anybody....probably has more to do with hearing than with music....

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2008, 7:36 pm

Not that I know of. I can't climb out of my senses and reside in NTs for a while and acquire a general learning for how they listen to music. I also know a few NT people who have similarish tastes to me.

I suppose two years back when we had to bring in a song we liked for a music lesson to play to the class, I brought in the first CD I could find—Boredoms' Pop Tatari, and played a random track on that. It just so turned out to be one in which they babble incomprehensibly at each other for a minute then plug something in and a piercing note of feedback blasts through. After that people thought that summed up my taste.

arkityp
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2008, 7:52 pm

i write music, and people have told me it sounds different from anything else.

myspace.com/odori if you're bored and want to check it out