Should suicide be legalized?
Yes 83%  83%  [ 71 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 86

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 8:47 pm

Think of it this way: if you were suicidal, would like to be able to commit suicide legally? Yes or no?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 8:51 pm

Can suicide really be illegal? What would the penalty be? Capital punishment?

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

i dont nesecarily condone suicide, but i think, in the us it should be legal because we have the right to do whatever we want with ourselves so long as it doesnt interfere with the rights of others. and geez... what are they gonna do? put you in jail for suicide? :roll: ive seen so many episodes of cops where people would be arrested for ATTEMPTING it, its kinda silly... unless its someone jumping off an overpass where they could land on a car or otherwise cause a wreck and kill someone else in the process... but thats another story

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

What are you saying? Is it illegal? Are you asking if you would like to be able to survive an attempt and not be locked up in a hospital for it? Are you asking if you would like you family to be able to claim insurance benifits. I am confused. If you are dead, what legal action can they take?

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2008, 8:52 pm

Orwell wrote:

yes, suicide is illegal :/ i find it silly

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 8:53 pm

StrawberryJam wrote:
Orwell wrote:

yes, suicide is illegal :/ i find it silly

I think it's legal in the Netherlands.

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2008, 8:56 pm

i just find it to be such a silly law, i mean, if youre in such a state of despair, that the kitchen knife looks really friendly, then do you really care about it being illegal? do you really care about the insurance not giving money to your family? yeah its rather selfish, but when youre that sad, you probably dont care about being selfish or not either.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 8:56 pm

I think that most people who are suicidal aren't thinking straight and would be quite happy to be prevented from committing suicide.

They polled people who tried to kill themselves by jumping in front of subway cars and survived... ALL of them said they were glad they had survived. The average time they considered suicide before they jumped? 27 minutes.

That's not thinking straight.

Anyway, we never prosecute attempted suicides--why would we? They almost all fall under the heading of the 'insanity defense'--they were so depressed that they couldn't help it.

If you legalized suicide, we'd have a bigger problem on our hands. All those people who are considered to be a burden would be encouraged to consider it... After all, financial considerations have been a reason for passively allowing someone to die before (usually in terms of removing life-support)...

I really don't know if it would go that far. But I do know that if suicide were legal, and ANYBODY were encouraged to consider it, it would be the old, the sick, and the disabled--people who are vulnerable to begin with.

I've been depressed. I've been suicidal. I'm glad I survived; and I want other people to survive, too, because no matter how much they want to die now (and chances are they don't really even want to die; they just don't want to live the way they're living), they won't want to when their circumstances are better and they are thinking straight again.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 9:02 pm

Suicide Booths on every street-corner? Please. :roll:

You realize this would amount to a government-sanctioned mass euthanasia program. No, this kind of insanity belongs in South Park. IRL we have more than enough craziness as it is.

Would the Suicide Booth technicians be EMTs or morticians or CSI?

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 9:14 pm

slowmutant -- actually that's been considered by some people who are fanatical about making suicide easy, but has nothing to do with the question of suicide being legal.

Suicide is not illegal in my country anyway. I see no reason to make it easy or pleasant (and if so, it should be across the board, not just easy and pleasant for some people because that's a massive ethical quagmire).

06 Aug 2008, 9:16 pm

Suicide is illegal so insurance companies wouldn't have to give the families or spouses any money. If it were legal, then people would be committing suicide so their families would get money because they are in debt lets say or they are heading for a foreclosure on their house.

My mother explained all this to me when I asked her why is suicide illegal, and then said, 'what are they going to do? Send a dead body to prison.'

06 Aug 2008, 9:19 pm

anbuend wrote:
slowmutant -- actually that's been considered by some people who are fanatical about making suicide easy, but has nothing to do with the question of suicide being legal.

Suicide is not illegal in my country anyway. I see no reason to make it easy or pleasant (and if so, it should be across the board, not just easy and pleasant for some people because that's a massive ethical quagmire).

I thought you lived in the USA.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 9:36 pm

Are you talking about doctor-assisted suicides, like a Jack Kevorkian-type thing?

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 10:16 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
anbuend wrote:

I thought you lived in the USA.

I do. And I'd always been told suicide is legal here, that the "it's illegal" thing was a myth. I thought that was insurance companies policy, not law.

Anyway, I hate to cite Wikipedia, but they have an entire page on legal views of suicide in many countries, and it goes like this for the USA (in way more detail than I even knew, but one part is uncited so it might be false or only partially true):

Quote:
In the United States, suicide has never been punished as a crime nor penalized by property forfeiture or ignominious burial.[citation needed] Historically, various states listed the act as a felony, but all were reluctant to enforce it. By 1963, six states still considered attempted suicide a crime (North and South Dakota, Washington, New Jersey, Nevada, and Oklahoma that repealed its law in 1976). By the early 1990s only two US states still listed suicide as a crime, and these have since removed that classification. In some U.S. states, suicide is still considered an unwritten "common law crime," that is, a crime based on the law of old England as stated in Blackstone's Commentaries. (So held the Virginia Supreme Court in Wackwitz v. Roy in 1992.) As a common law crime, suicide can bar recovery for the family of the suicidal person in a lawsuit unless the suicidal person can be proven to have been "of unsound mind." That is, the suicide must be proven to have been an involuntary, not voluntary, act of the victim in order for the family to be awarded money damages by the court. This can occur when the family of the deceased sues the caregiver (perhaps a jail or hospital) for negligence in failing to provide appropriate care.[4] Some legal scholars look at the issue as one of personal liberty. According to Nadine Strossen, President of the ACLU, "The idea of government making determinations about how you end your life, forcing you...could be considered cruel and unusual punishment in certain circumstances, and Justice Stevens in a very interesting opinion in a right-to-die [case] raised the analogy."[5]

In many jurisdictions medical facilities are empowered or required to commit anyone whom they believe to be suicidal for evaluation and treatment. See Code 5150 for example.

Note that the ACLU is divided on the issue of suicide, given that it can also be considered a potential violation of people's civil liberties to consider it okay or accepted to make it easy for some people to die but not others (which is what nearly all "right-to-die" stuff involves).

Here's Wikpedia's Legal views of suicide thing, which shows laws in all sorts of countries both historically and modernly, and argh I need to stop procrastinating and get back to writing again (tons of material due very soon).

Skillshine
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2008, 10:19 pm

I lost a Brother to suicide 11 years ago. He was diagnosed Bipolar at the age of 19, he attempted suicide several times between the age of 19 and 21 (always with pills). He seemed to cope a little better with life after the birth of his daughter and completion of school ( he was a brilliant Man). He graduated top of his class (industrial electrician) and held a very good job up until the day he died.

He moved out West in 1994 to take a very good job, making amazing money. He didn't tell alot of people about his illness though, he thought they would think differently of him. I would say that from the age of 24 right through until his death at age 31, he had very view depressive episodes and even fewer manic ones. And then...just like that.....he was gone one night! he hung himself in his basement....he was 31 years old

Is what he did illegal? I don't think so. I do think that what he did was "in a moment of pure darkness" . Somewhere in his thoughts at that moment he believed it was for the best. Maybe he was tired of fighting for some true sense of "normal" (whatever normal really is) or maybe he was tired of feeling like he had to be someone he wasn't (someone without this illness). I read a quote one day that has helped me through 11 years of questions, pain, heartbreak and wonder:

"Some have the courage to live, while others have the courage to die"

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 10:20 pm

Yes, and maybe even suicide seminars to help people commit suicide better. There is a book called Final Exit that does just that. ANd there is the Final Exit Society ...