Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Flipmode
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2008, 10:46 pm

Does anybody know of any jobs that guarantee overseas travel, and would be good for getting jobs in foreign countries?

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 11:44 pm

Flipmode wrote:
Does anybody know of any jobs that guarantee overseas travel, and would be good for getting jobs in foreign countries?

Certain jobs at Royal Dutch Shell (oil company)? But I do not know if they are employing from the US?
Having something like that on your resume in NL gives you almost instantaneously an job (at least in this economy).

No_YOU_get_over_it
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2008, 11:54 pm

In an age where few jobs guarantee anything, if you choose the right department, this firm gives you a pretty good shot at being sent places.

Seriously though. Are you looking for general fields of work that are transferable? I take it you're figuring out what to study etc, rather than looking for a job right now - am I right?

I've lived in two non-U.S. countries, and generaly highly recommend it.

Would love to see 5 years of 'integrated expatship' in a non-English-speaking country be added to the requirements for U.S. presidential candidates.

NB: contents of above post represent my opinion at time of post only. YMMV, NAYY, and most importantly, IALBTC!

Flipmode
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2008, 12:04 am

yeah I'm about to enter college and I am looking for careers/jobs/majors that would give the most opportunity for overseas travel/expatriation.

I have thought about the army but I heard they dont accept people with glasses.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 4:01 am

flip mode....there was an article written many years ago and an accompanying photo of 5 US soldiers in Somalia and all of them had glasses on. I don tthink that wearing glasses is a pre-requisite to have you excluded from the Army, in fact before you siggested it, i was going to suggest army for you.
it does guarantee travel overseas. but also, For higher functioning Aspies the Army. miliotary provides a very well maintained structured and regimented environment, you know who to salute, where to sit, when to eat and whaqt to do, even are told how to sleep. this would , in my opinion be a perfect job for Aspies as well are literal and good at following directions/orders and there is no confusion which accompanies a non military civilian/social setting, everything in the military is structured and ordered, it would a great grounding for you to start in, see the world ,mature and get on with life.

No_YOU_get_over_it
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2008, 4:39 am

The military was intended as a joke.

Yes, they take people w/ glasses, and yes, the structure would be great for Aspies. But they could assign you to a desk job in a large office with florescent lighting.

The military NTs I know seem hyper-NT; I couldn't spend 8 years surrounded by that.

If you like technical stuff, something like engineering can go everywhere. You can transfer into something like operations or even marketing, whereas if you study history and go into human resources, you generally can't switch into being a plant manager.

Somewhere I got the idea you're in Houston - did I just make that up? If I list examples there, you'll be from Monterey or something. Anyway, tell me more about your academic interests and maybe I'll have ideas about strategy for internships.

NB: contents of above post represent my opinion at time of post only. YMMV, NAYY, and most importantly, IALBTC!

Flipmode
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2008, 4:38 pm

Yes I am living in Houston for now. My interests are transportation systems(subways, airports, seaports),macroeconomics, I learn foreign languages easily, I am also good at heavy science/history.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 10:16 pm

I lived in 5 countries so far and apply currently to emigrate another time soon.

In the end I never found many issues finding jobs abroad, except countries where working permits are very restricted (such as Israel, Australia, ...).

In general, browsing for jobs in a specific country is the way to go, plus networking by asking around (internet communities come in handy!). In many big cities or countries forums specifically orientated to expats exist, and people who already made the move to that country usually have good advice where to look or ask around. The right connections can come in handy. The job maze is complicated when looking on your own, the best thing to do is to ask locals and expats already there.

Also, when it comes to industries... Well, I did callcenter work and sales so far, and as callcenters exist worldwide and need multilinguals I found it easy to find jobs abroad in this industry. The downside is that the work can be a bit boring and such, but the frequent change of home country keeps it exciting enough, by the time a job became a drag I just moved country again and that injected new enthousiasm into my veins.
Hospitality, catering, bartending (Irish pubs usually recruit you even when you only speak english) are other jobs in demand worldwide. Nursing as well but you need the right degree for that of course.

My advice:
- choose a location first, or limit your search to a few locations. Don't just look globally because the options will be too large in numbers to check them all out and make a good choice. Better choose a specific set of locations and then start looking in those places.
- know that sometimes you need to do some less high-profile (or boring) work sometimes to get into a country, especially when not speaking the local language those catering or callcenter jobs can be your stepping stone to get into the country. The jobs may be boring, and making a career is definitely harder than in your own country. In the end you choose to go abroad for other reasons than career usually, so choose a location that is motivating you enough to be prepared to face those less interesting jobs when necessary.

In the end, having worked and lived in 5 countries myself now, I can only recommend going abroad. The world is big and beautiful and it is a shame to stay in your own little place IMO. The first time abroad can be a bit alienating, but once past that stage I really got to like this lifestyle a lot. Right now I just want to travel, settling down or repatriating are not on my menu. Going abroad can be a challenge and it is not the easiest way, but it is very rewarding IMO.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)