Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

08 Aug 2008, 7:40 pm

Hellraiser (1, 2, 3 and Bloodline), Lord of Illusions, Videodrome, Reanimator, The Eye (asian version), JU-ON and the Resident Evil series are some of what I like as well as the old English Hammer Productions movies with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Well made horror movies RULE! :D

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2008, 7:49 pm

I hate, hate, hate, horror movies. Yuck. I just can't handle it.

Possibly because at the age of three or four, I was left with really irresponsible teen girl babysitters who literally forced me to sit on the couch and watch Freddy Kreuger with them.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 8:03 pm

velodog wrote:
Hellraiser (1, 2, 3 and Bloodline), Lord of Illusions, Videodrome, Reanimator, The Eye (asian version), JU-ON and the Resident Evil series are some of what I like as well as the old English Hammer Productions movies with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Well made horror movies RULE! :D

Clive Barker can sure write some horror.

The Hammer horror stuff is quite funny (unintentionally) and very raunchy too. Lee and Cushing were really wasted on it.

Cronenberg does some very weird but good stuff. Scanners is good too and the Fly.

saramago
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2008, 8:13 pm

The Shining is my favorite horror movie, it kept me from sleeping when i was a kid. In the mouth of madness is also very good, but not scary.

corroonb:
Cabin Fever is a good movie. It's theme is self-irony. I liked it.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

08 Aug 2008, 8:19 pm

corroonb wrote:
Cronenberg does some very weird but good stuff. Scanners is good too and the Fly.
Agreed, did Cronenberg do The Fly?

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 8:21 pm

velodog wrote:
corroonb wrote:
Agreed, did Cronenberg do The Fly?

I believe so. That movie scared the excrement out of me back in the day. The Metamorphosis by Kafka is a great short story along a similar theme, if not tone.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

08 Aug 2008, 8:25 pm

Yes it was much better done than the original even though Vincent Price was in it.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 10:09 pm

I love horror movies, even the crap ones.

I don't mind slasher to a certain point. The original Halloween was good for instance and I didn't mind Hostel 1 and 2. I didn't mind the Texas Remake either, though the original was far superior - it didn't show much gore but had a "real" feel about it - like Blair Witch tried to get.

I recently saw Texas Chainsaw : The Beginning - it was utter rubbish... just excuses to kill people.

Story is king.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 10:16 pm

I like sophisticated horror movies that are weird and full of suspense. I like twisted plots.

Spymunk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2008, 12:48 am

I despise horror movies where they don't even TRY to give it even a threadbare plot. It should at LEAST have some kind of story.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 8:09 am

BeeBee23 wrote:
Zombie movies are a favourite for me! :D
same:D

Ningyou
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Aug 2008, 10:08 am

I'd really love to make a horror movie. I think most of the horor movies out there just don't cut it. They fall into my comedy category.

Gore can have its place in a horror movie, but isn't neccessary. When done wrong it can ruin a movie. Also gore done with computer graphics isn't always fake looking. It's gore done with low-quality and low-budget computer graphics that look bad. It's the same with the old-school gore makeup. Do that badly and it shows. It's just cheaper to do really good makeup and prothetics than it is to do CGI.

Anyway, if you can drive half of your audience out of the theatre partway through the show and give the other half nightmares for years than you haven't made a real horror movie.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 1:19 pm

I just watched one called "Morturary" on Sci-fi this morning. ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0415167/ )
Suprisingly really good, for a movie I'd never even heard of. Great ending.

Kiera
Raven
Raven

11 Aug 2008, 6:39 am

i especially like the gory old crapfest horror fliks. zombie films are generally my favorite.

anyone see the old Pete Jackson films like Dead Alive and Bad Taste? classics

also Cemetary Man (i dont remember who did that one, italian film), which is more a black comedy with gore....i have to go look for that one now, i havent seen it in a while...

SquishypuffDave
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2008, 6:56 am

I dislike horror movies that rely on violence, I much prefer thriller. I actually think that the less violence, the scarier it is, since you get used to it really quickly. In thriller, it's about what you don't see that's scary. I like Japanese horror the most because they use that philosophy. And of course, a story that you connect with is essential or the characters don't matter.

intense
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2008, 7:39 am

I like Horror movies but I much prefer the psychological approach over tons of gore, I got fed up with that a long long time ago :roll: The one genre I don't really like are the apocalyptic zombie movies, they don't scare me I just find them to be deeply deeply depressing.

The origional Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Wicker man movies plus the Evil Dead tilogy are some of my favourites.