Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 9:15 am

Any good Free Virtual Machine clients that can run DOS 7 and Win98. Ms Virtual PC 2007 is alright with Win98SE but the Video lags when emulating certain games and programs.[Like MS Works 4.5] Heres my system specs in case thats the problem.

Operating System- WinXP Pro SP3 [Vista just plain sucks.]
Athlon XP 1700+ @ 1.5Ghz
640MB PC133 Memory [Soon to be upgraded to 1GB.]
Hard Drive 0- 40GB
Hard Drive 1-60GB [One with windows on it.]
Video- SiS 730 Onboard w/ 64MB Allocated VRAM.[Soon to be upgraded.]

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 10:34 am

The other free Virtual PC apps are VMWare (which, I believe, Virtual PC is based on), VirtualBox and QEMU. The latter takes some fiddling and may actually be a step backwards if you're not using KQEMU to accelerate it.

If you seek to run DOS games, then DOSBox is probably your best bet there. For Windows 98, try the above solutions (but as a warning, VMWare and VirtualBox tend to elbow one another).

AS is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

I'm the same as I was when I was six years old - Modest Mouse

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 10:53 pm

Aaron_Mason wrote:
The other free Virtual PC apps are VMWare (which, I believe, Virtual PC is based on), VirtualBox and QEMU. The latter takes some fiddling and may actually be a step backwards if you're not using KQEMU to accelerate it.

If you seek to run DOS games, then DOSBox is probably your best bet there. For Windows 98, try the above solutions (but as a warning, VMWare and VirtualBox tend to elbow one another).

VMWare is a pay for product.

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 3:24 am

Au contraire, VMWare Server and Player are free. (the latter can be used with custom ones, but it takes some tinkering)

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2008, 7:59 am

I use VirtualBox OSE (GPL) which I use to run my Windows XP inside linux, on this distribution 8.04. On my previous linux distribution 7.10 vmware was found in the repositories and I used that.
Although after I upgraded to what I have now, vmware was nowhere to be found so I had to learn VirtualBox OSE, and it was very easy to learn from tutorials (lucky me).

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 1:57 pm

gamefreak wrote:
Any good Free Virtual Machine clients that can run DOS 7 and Win98. Ms Virtual PC 2007 is alright with Win98SE but the Video lags when emulating certain games and programs.[Like MS Works 4.5] Heres my system specs in case thats the problem.

Operating System- WinXP Pro SP3 [Vista just plain sucks.]
Athlon XP 1700+ @ 1.5Ghz
640MB PC133 Memory [Soon to be upgraded to 1GB.]
Hard Drive 0- 40GB
Hard Drive 1-60GB [One with windows on it.]
Video- SiS 730 Onboard w/ 64MB Allocated VRAM.[Soon to be upgraded.]

Is the computer also too slow to use virtual box on. Yeah XP is able to run really fast on this machine but emulating other operating systems can be hardware demanding from what i heard.
Also my computer is 5 Years Old already.

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 4:25 pm

Hey,

I've run VirtualBox on a Celeron 1.4, and it was pretty good. For what you need, it'll run fine.

I'd get the memory upgrade first, though. It's going to be pretty RAM hungry.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 6:56 pm

Aaron_Mason wrote:
Hey,

I've run VirtualBox on a Celeron 1.4, and it was pretty good. For what you need, it'll run fine.

I'd get the memory upgrade first, though. It's going to be pretty RAM hungry.

The max i can put in is 1GB and thats if i buy another stick of 512MB SDRAM. That should be enough, should it.