How can I make friends in high school?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2008, 11:20 pm

I don't think I can relate to anybody in high school because most people at my school is either some preppy or gangsta-wannabe kid and trust me, there's really no one like me there.

BTW, I'll be a junior next year in high school.

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2008, 12:40 am

I was the same way in California, and am still here in Kentucky. When I was in the 7th grade, I was sent to a continuation school and was literally the only white guy there and the only one who can take apart a computer and put it back together, and the only one who was good with numbers and one of few who could actually read past middle school level (I was reading at college level by that time) I was also the ONLY one there who hated rap and hip-hop and R&B and all that crap they call music. I like classic rock and country.
I was beat up constantly and picked on for being different and always thinking.

Now that was a very small school in the back of a church with only 2 teachers, one for middle school, the other for high school. But now I am back in Kentucky I am in a better school, but I still don't fit in. But what I do is keep to myself, and get involved in after school programs like STLP and others I am interested in. That is where I find most of my friends because they are the most like me. My best friend I met in the computer lab in history class, we both hate that class, and I notice him sitting next to me, and I just casually said "I would much rather be using Linux instead of Windows" and he completely agreed, since then he has become my best friend.

what I am getting at is there are many ways to get friends, you just have to take the initiative and open your eyes to new stuff such as after school programs.

Pug
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2008, 12:45 am

Indeed. One thing that certainly won't work to get friends is sit in a corner, frustrated because you believe you can't get friends. Getting involved in high school by doing after-school stuff is a better way I think :)

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2008, 4:15 am

I don't mean to be rude, but I have looked up my school's after-school programs and I don't think most of them don't really interest me that much.

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2008, 10:15 am

If there is not one you like, you can try to start one. Go to the school board presenting your idea and it may work.
To get started, make a list of interests, and then sort through them as to which you like the most, and then come up with an idea for what that can be made into (e.g. I am interested in math, magic and origami, I make a list going from most interested to least interested. 1. math 2. magic 3. origami. Since math is more likely to succeed because it is educational, I can present the idea of a math team, where members compete against each other for who can do what problems the fastest and most accurate.)

Just an idea.

Good luck, if you need any help, contact me at any time, my name is Nick ;)

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 1:16 pm

my cynicism comes into play here when i say that the easiest two ways to make friends at highschool is 1. become a complete tool, dress like everyone else, keep your head down and you MIGHT make a friend. 2. beat someone up.

yeah, it's true, the human race is completely f***ed

i hope you have a better time than i did.

<3 xanny x

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 6:02 pm

If you hear someone mention something that interests you, you might want to tell them that you are interested or express your opinions on the subject.
If you see someone carrying a bag or wearing an item of clothing that has a picture of your favorite animal, the name of your favorite book/movie/band/whatever, or a reference to some obscure piece of knowledge that you're familiar with, compliment them on it. These are both pretty good ways to let people know that you have something in common with them and thereby gain their interest.