Avoiding people approaching you for money in public.

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 7:25 pm

I use this trick that stops most money solicitors in their tracks. When I get a feeling that he's about to approach me asking for money, I pull out my cell phone, and pretend to have a conversation. After saying a few phrases, I blurt out "What! Are you serious? Which hospital is he in?" loud enough for the person to hear me. Sometimes, he steps away with a "I almost put my foot in my mouth" look. For most people (even money solicitors) who have integrity, it's rude to hit up a person for money when his friend/relative/whoever is in the hospital. Other times, they shrug it off with a "eh, whatever" look; but they still leave me alone.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 7:31 pm

A friend of mine flashes his private investigator badge, and asks, "What seems to be the problem?" Most beggars are aware of the local anti-panhandling ordinances, so when they see that badge, they mumble something incoherent and move away fast. If the beggar has a real problem, then my friend can sometimes help them out, or at least refer them to someone who can.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 6:24 pm

Always walk with a purpose and with eyes looking up not looking at the ground. I noticed when I am looking at the ground deep in complex Aspie thoughts is when the street beggars come running up to me. When they ask say "Sorry I don't have any money" then walk on. Don't stand still waiting for them to come back with a hateful reply. Just keep walking.

There's been people on tv that state they make $30,000-50,000 a year just by begging. So don't believe everyone panhandling is actually homeless or starving.

acannon
Raven
Raven

16 Aug 2008, 10:11 pm

DNForrest wrote:
This also works great against those harrassing folks in mall kiosks trying to get you to try a sample of hand lotion (don't know how many of those you have in the UK).

For that, I just say, "No thanks, I'm allergic" while walking away and not giving eye contact. I'm not, but it doesn't matter. Either that or I just walk past and not give eye contact. Once you look at them, then they can hook you in.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 1:49 pm

I had an interesting encounter. Its a local thing for illegals to try to sell Tamales in parking lots. I was heading into the grocery store when a dirty guy who looked like a tweeker came running up to me with a plastic bag of slimey oozing homemade tamales on a hot July day asking in broken English for $1 per tamale. (Can anyone say food poisoning?) I said "no thanks". He then screamed at me in Spanish which I know just enough of to know he was cussing me out. I replied "Sorry I don't speak Spanish because I'm not Mexican".

I only said that because I knew it would piss him off. I piss a lot of locals off because they think I look Mexican though I am half white half American Indian and they think I should speak their language for some reason.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 8:19 am

adverb wrote:
why be mean to them? and don't you feel at least a little bad, or awkward, pretending they don't exist?

I dont consider it being mean, i just dont want to give out my hard earned cash to people who refuse to pull thier own weight like everyone else. Do I feel bad? nope, not in the slightest sense of the word. Do i feel bad for thier situation? Not really, unless they are children, but that is about it.

Life is hard enough without having to put up with beggars, and im a person that tends to lack both empathy and sympathy entirely. One of my beliefs is that most people who are in any kind of trouble, they most likely got themselves into it, and if they got themselves into it, they CAN get themselves out of it. That and i tend to harbor boatloads of ill will towards humanity itself.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 8:39 am

DemonAbyss10 wrote:
...people who refuse to pull thier own weight like everyone else.

Most homeless people suffer some sort of mental illness and lack an adequate social support network. Sound like anybody we know?
DemonAbyss10 wrote:
... i tend to harbor boatloads of ill will towards humanity itself.

- Emerson

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 11:42 am

MrMark wrote:
DemonAbyss10 wrote:
...people who refuse to pull thier own weight like everyone else.

Most homeless people suffer some sort of mental illness and lack an adequate social support network. Sound like anybody we know?

While it may be true that most homeless suffer from mental illness and lack an adequate social support network, that does not mean that there aren't a significant number of people out there pretending to be homeless for your pity as their 9-5. Offering food/clothing will easily sort them out. Those who are genuinely in need will accept your gift, while those who are simply after your wallet won't. I'm much more willing to help those who are genuinely in need.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 11:41 pm

You mean those people sitting outside the grocery store like gang members and go up to you, get in your face and you to suport their church, child's sports team, etc. I swear I have come so close to punching one in the face. GET OUT OF MY FACE! I rarely go to certian stores at Christmas time becuase the constant bell ringing almost sends me into meltdown mode. Why on earth would I want to donate money to someone who keeps ringing a bell non stop?

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 8:24 am

ipods are good for this, and if they try to mime some kind of begging gesture, you can just walk past without saying anything.x

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 1:36 pm

I would avoid places/areas where people ask for money if I could.

Unfortunately because of the place/area where I work, I never can, and I have quite a time.

E7ernal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2008, 5:09 am

Just checking guys... after imparting all this knowledge which helps avoid the leeches, how would you go about gettign money if you actually were in the situation which they claim?

hooligan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Sep 2008, 4:22 pm

I've been on the other end of this situation, so I'll just give a different perspective real quick.

It does hurt to be rudely treated when you really need some help. Even the kids panhandling for some beer or whatever are just kids, they're not horrible people. And some of the pandhandlers really do need money for food, a bus ticket etc. But there's no way to know if they're just teenagers with cash to spare trying to scam some other person.

The best thing to do is assess the situation, what they look like etc.

If you don't wanna give them money, be nice. Just say, "Sorry, I can't" or whatever. Be civil. These are people too, they have feelings.

But the rejection stops hurting after a while...

When I was in the situation of spangeing, as we called it (spare chage--sparechange--spange), I would generally just tell the truth. Tell them I needed to get back to NYC, or PA, whichever home I was going to at the time. Or if I needed food I'd tell them that. If it was me and my friends being lowlife's, we usually were straight up about it. I remember once on the corner of Ave A, my friend Greg had a sign that said, "Please help me get drunk." If you're honest about it, people help out more. On the whole "what would you do if you were in that situation" thing.

jkm2
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2008, 12:31 am

Aalto wrote:
This happens a lot round here, at least with me, a 5'5 teenager, usually not walking around with someone intimidating.

More and more people are approaching me asking for money. It's usually something like "I've got stuck in this town and desperately need to get home for tonight. Please lend me money," though in a far less articulate manner, in which they then go on to say that they're not "sh*****g me", and are not a junkie. I actually, about 6 weeks ago, fell for one in which two people approached me at about 5:45pm asking for 90p to get home. I made the big mistake to say that I'm in a hurry, etc, whilst they told me their story: been in jail overnight, now stuck in a foreign town, stabbed in the eye (one of them points up to below his eye, where there's a scar, but I admit it must've happened there quite a while ago), wanted a bit of money. I submitted and said OK to them, telling them to stay out of trouble in the future.
They then go "Can I have this 2 pounds 40 now?" to which I point out that the money's suddenly risen, but for the tenth time they go "But you promised! C'mon, please!" so I quickly go into some takeaway and ask for change from a fiver, give them the money and walk off into the station. I look back and see that them and some others are laughing at me, and spend the rest of the day feeling very pissed off.
I went to the same town that Saturday, and in all his audacity the SAME person was there, asking me and the friend I had with me for some money. My friend whispered "Ignore him," or "Just move on," to me impatiently, and we did without hassle.

How should I deal with future related issues?

Just ignore them. Say no.

I've given people money. Nothing big though. Usually anything more than a dollar is questionable. Even if a person is scamming me, will they really scam me for 25 cent's? If so why do I care?

Be careful though if you might see that person more then once because once they get it they will ask for it again and again because they know that they can get it from you.