Veteran

12 Aug 2008, 5:00 pm

cool!

jul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2008, 7:54 am

na, its just where i'm from, it must be a coincidence :wink:

haha, yeah. The first 2 albums with Paul singing are my favourites. Everytime I watch the live at the rainbow concert, I really think "why did he leave?" :( Apparently he quit, but was he pushed? Do you not like Bruce then?[/quote]

I did like Bruce, he was okay! He had that voice. DiAnno was more that underground scrapper who happened to sing too, and I appreciate more the underground feel to stuff. Even their guitars on those first two albums were totally different than anything I've heard before or since. (Although that could be just me; I'm definitely no expert.) I thought they said in interviews that Paul left because his drinking caught up with him, but that could be just band politics. I didn't understand at the time, but I understand now, that people will say things just to make it palatable, but their real reasons could have been different. I can see 'Harry' as thinking Bruce had that voice they needed, and then they gotta dump Paul :cry: I haven't listened to that stuff in a long time!

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 8:40 am

yeah, thats why I liked him, he gave them a raw edge. I kinda liked the x-factor with blaze bayley singing too. I hope they didn't get rid of Paul, cause in my opinion they were the best band ever to make music with him. Songs like phantom of the opera, transylvania, wrathchild, running free, killers and genghis khan, just cant be beaten. I wonder what would've happened if he would have stayed on for a few more albums.....

jul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2008, 9:52 am

Yeah, I loved Killers! I usedto have a jacket with the album cover image on the back -- hmm, what the heck happened to that, I wonder. I'm not as familiar with the Blaze guy. I think during those first couple albums, the band sounded like the east end of London, with all its grime (I've seen a bit of it), grafitti, 'questionable sorts' hanging about, etc, the whole underside of life. It was kind of truthful. And then they kind of went in a direction that was apart from their roots, singing about history, ancient egypt. All cool and I liked those albums too, but maybe that genuine thing they could do when they were young was gone forever. I think they would have held onto it if Paul had been there, but the whole history/fantasy thing was probably not his bag. He seemed more like a local pub bloke than someone who wanted to sing about some ancient battle (although I love the trooper!). I love history ( and Tolkien and PHilip K. Dick, but not all fantasy and sci-fi), but their early music, it seemed like the real thing.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 10:49 am

but isn't Iron Maiden an ancient thing? And like murders in the rue morgue is about something ancient? But I know exactly what you mean. Trouble with Paul is that he's a bit of a live wire, so he'd have never stayed forever, still, it would have been nice if he'd done at least one more album :) Haha, you should really find that Killers jacket, thats so cool that you had that :P

jul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2008, 11:29 am

Doh! U right! I forget things. :oops: I guess I mean to say earlier Maiden kind of grittier, with those great guitars. Not to say DiAnno couldn't have sung the later stuff, but it would have been different. I think 'Harry' had something in mind when he hired Bruce, some sound for all the songs he knew he would be writing. True DiAnno kind of a live wire -- I always thought of him as kind of a Bon Scott type (from early AC/DC), someone whose energy and sound were so unique, it probably couldn't last. And maybe that's what makes it so great. (Thanks for reminding me of this stuff -- I just had forgotten it all, I guess.)

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 1:19 pm

haha :P na, its ok :wink: yeah, thats why i prefer that stuff, it is grittier. Someone said Bruce is too good of a singer. I kinda agree. But I really like their latest stuff, since Bruce has rejoined the band. Have you heard any of it? I think the stuff might have been better, though slightly different if Paul had sung it. I think Maiden were always gonna take that path, and maybe Paul didn't agree. Yeah I love Bon Scott too, I think he'd still be fronting AC/DC if he hadn't have died, they said he made the most effort in the band. And they done that song called live wire too :P Thats ok, I love talking about it :wink:

Aquamarine_Kitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

RedWingJeff
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 8:18 pm

Ok, both added

jul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2008, 4:36 am

benjimanbreeg wrote:
haha :P na, its ok :wink: yeah, thats why i prefer that stuff, it is grittier. Someone said Bruce is too good of a singer. I kinda agree. But I really like their latest stuff, since Bruce has rejoined the band. Have you heard any of it? I think the stuff might have been better, though slightly different if Paul had sung it. I think Maiden were always gonna take that path, and maybe Paul didn't agree. Yeah I love Bon Scott too, I think he'd still be fronting AC/DC if he hadn't have died, they said he made the most effort in the band. And they done that song called live wire too :P Thats ok, I love talking about it :wink:

I haven't heard any of their latest stuff. I know they are on tour here also this summer -- are they still doing albums with like a theme to them? Isn't it sad though that if it's true Bon Scott made the most effort in the band, that their breakthrough came too late for him? (And for the original bass player in Metallica -- Clive something or other? -- who died before the band became really big.) It kills me, stuff like that is so sad. ON as aside, I wonder what 'Bon' is short for?

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 8:16 am

jul wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:

I haven't heard any of their latest stuff. I know they are on tour here also this summer -- are they still doing albums with like a theme to them? Isn't it sad though that if it's true Bon Scott made the most effort in the band, that their breakthrough came too late for him? (And for the original bass player in Metallica -- Clive something or other? -- who died before the band became really big.) It kills me, stuff like that is so sad. ON as aside, I wonder what 'Bon' is short for?

their latest music sounds really powerful, since they have 3 lead guitarists now. I'll pm you a song with blaze bayley and maybe a couple of their newest songs :wink: Yeah that is sad, I think the next album after highway to hell would have been really good anyway. But I think Bon's death finally woke Angus and co up, and they put some passion into the music. Obviously his death gave the band publicity too. Then after Back In Black they lost it I think. Yeah, stuff like that really is sad
:( I like Metallica's early stuff :P Yeah, I might have to look that up :D

jul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2008, 8:29 am

benjimanbreeg wrote:
their latest music sounds really powerful, since they have 3 lead guitarists now. I'll pm you a song with blaze bayley and maybe a couple of their newest songs :wink: Yeah that is sad, I think the next album after highway to hell would have been really good anyway. But I think Bon's death finally woke Angus and co up, and they put some passion into the music. Obviously his death gave the band publicity too. Then after Back In Black they lost it I think. Yeah, stuff like that really is sad
:( I like Metallica's early stuff :P Yeah, I might have to look that up :D

Whoops - what'sa pm? I must be really behind on the music files front! 8O Kill'em All and Ride the Lightning were my favorites -- more stuff I haven't listened to in a while!

RedMetal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2008, 9:09 am

Wiggles wrote:
Anyone who wants to can add me - my URL is http://www.myspace.com/jeffreytothemax.

Uh. This is nitpicking, perhaps, but I see that you have both Scottish and British listed as your heritage. This is redundant as Scotland is a part of Britain - maybe you mean English or Welsh instead of British.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 9:42 am

[/quote]Whoops - what'sa pm? I must be really behind on the music files front! 8O Kill'em All and Ride the Lightning were my favorites -- more stuff I haven't listened to in a while![/quote]

haha, according to the pm you sent me, you know now :P yeah, I like those too. Why do you still have them? I've got all their albums up to the black album.