Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Gatsby
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2008, 5:46 pm

As my profile indicates, I am 18 and have mild AS. My social skills aren't exactly great, but I'm at least capable of social interaction. I've got a pretty large group of friends and drinking buddies, and I can talk to them about anything, but I do have a problem. We discuss anything from sports to what's going on in our lives, and I can actually relate and empathize decently well. However, I absolutely have no idea how to start a conversation with someone I don't know. Any advice?

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 5:51 pm

I generally don't. I guess comment about the surroundings?

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 5:58 pm

First of all, say "Hi...and my name is "...whatever your real name is. Then ask, "What's your name?" Most people will respond and tell you their name. If they do not, don't panic...as they may be having a bad day and are not interested in getting acquainted with you. Simply move on to someone else.

Once they open up to you, ask them about their interests, what they like to do in their free time, if they have any brothers and
sisters...you can talk about anything you feel they might relate to.

Best of luck to you!

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 6:11 pm

I tend to say something off the wall, and if an interesting conversation develops, great. Often though, they just give me an odd look and walk away, so I can't really recomend it.

Today a guy came by work. My boss asked him if he had a weedeater (don't know why). So I walked up to him and said "Hi, nice to meet you, do you have any power tools?"
Yep, odd look time. I went back to work.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2008, 6:27 pm

its an art that comes with age and maturity, i was incredibly shy at your age.
most non-AS like chit chat about weather, the price of gas, etc, small shallow talk , they use it to get to know you.
the idea of introducing yourself formally is quite pedantic and typical of AS.
nothing wrong with it, but we sometimes need to be seen to adapt.
try chit chat, i learn it from tv and watching movies, i like reality typ television to learn people interacting.