major conflict-what do you do when...?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Silver1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2008, 9:13 pm

I would try taking a few biology classes, see how you like them. You might find out that's what you really want to do. Combining these two interest may prove difficult, but who knows. It never hurts to try.

Thecodonts
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Aug 2008, 7:22 pm

If you like animal behaviour, you could try psychology or take courses on the aspects of psychology that relate to biology.

Xercies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Aug 2008, 8:13 am

You know whats funny I have had this kind of problem as well, and actualyl am having this kind of problem. I want to get myself into CGI animation(like Pixar films) and i have been told that I need good levels of artwork to get into this. And guess what, I'm totally crap at art and i genrally hate the subject and i like drawing my own things but I'm just not good at it, and I have tried to get better but it is really frustrating and I usually stop and never start it again.

stephaniecatherine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Aug 2008, 9:32 am

Xercies wrote:
You know whats funny I have had this kind of problem as well, and actualyl am having this kind of problem. I want to get myself into CGI animation(like Pixar films) and i have been told that I need good levels of artwork to get into this. And guess what, I'm totally crap at art and i genrally hate the subject and i like drawing my own things but I'm just not good at it, and I have tried to get better but it is really frustrating and I usually stop and never start it again.

i'm the same when it comes ot art. i used to think veverything i drew was crap and that it wasn't any good, especially not good enough to be an illustrator...etc. .............but then...after years and year of drawing the way I draw and picking up tidbits here and there on "technique" (which isn't always very useful, for me it sometimes would make things worse..) ...everything just sort of started coming together in my art...looking better. all the so-called crap you draw now has an immensely cumulative effect, and sometimes an oddly sudden transformation that you will distinctly notice yourself. ...i'd keep at it. i think the most interesting animation is the stuff that doesnn't look perfect anyway. i don't know what you already know ...but I'd say focus learning color theory and applying that to your own style of work and forget all that nonsense about perfect proportions and golden ratio jargon....it's good to know.....but only if you have your own style and can apply it toward that. there are lots of people who have natural ability to draw things that just damn look good...and it pisses you off...it pisses me off....but then i think again and think that if those people all just draw stuff that looks good (no offense to the naturally talented)it leaves room for them to become lazy and their art to become uninteresting...with just enough time for you and me to sneak up behind and run past them! in our struggle to surpass their ability we criticize our own art that the ones we envy often envy themselves , because honestly- the real neat stuff to look at it is the nitty gritty stuff that makes you cock your head and swear under your breath in wonder and admirable jealousy....again! i don't know how you draw....but if you start drawing knowing what you want to draw...that always sets me up for a boring picture...just draw some lines.....lightly scribble or something...and go from there..or ignore that if it doesn't work for you and do it the way you do it.

i only write all this because i feel the same a lot of the time(and because i love art..)....that one person saying 'oh well you have to have this level of skill in this..lalala" is only telling you the truth in a very narrow way....it just isn't a very encouraging thing to hear, especially worded that way. of course you need to have a certain level of skill....but how you get there and what the end result looks like has no set perimeter.

i remember after taking my color theory class i was practically struck dumb...almost terrified to even touch my left over, very expensive paint i had had from the class...i want to paint...but i didn't want the colors to be wrong 8O ....in fact that wasn't too very long ago...so i still haven't painted with those paints again yet :!: ...sometimes knowledge can block you....but now this makes me want to paint something real bad like...

anywho..

i just got out of school for illustration though and thinking over my initial topic...i'm pretty sure I'm just going to continue my art and begin the english degree and probably double major or minor in studio arts and focus more on updating ornithilogical illustration...and add a large portion of octopode to that as well. .....might still study the biology of these animals...but I don't think it's my career path......i just go into this sort of mode of thinking where i think my career path is wrong and blah blah....i'm sure you all know the feeling..

thanks for the help!

:bounce:

Xercies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Aug 2008, 12:58 pm

Well it wasn;t until very recently that I really knew where I wanted to be, which kind of was troubling when it came to choosing my college courses. But you know these things happened, I wanted to be a magazine designer and now i want to be an animator. So i think we all have these moments, and they definitly become less clearer if you find your not strong in a particular aspect of what you want to do.

And i think I can draw, i found this book on to draw wizards, kings and dragons(I like fantasy) and it taught me a really good method of drawing that didn't frustrate me and actually produced good pieces of artwork. Its just later on the people at collge didn't really want that kind of drawing and wanted more observation drawing which i totally suck at.

stephaniecatherine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Aug 2008, 11:01 am

Xercies wrote:
Well it wasn;t until very recently that I really knew where I wanted to be, which kind of was troubling when it came to choosing my college courses. But you know these things happened, I wanted to be a magazine designer and now i want to be an animator. So i think we all have these moments, and they definitly become less clearer if you find your not strong in a particular aspect of what you want to do.

And i think I can draw, i found this book on to draw wizards, kings and dragons(I like fantasy) and it taught me a really good method of drawing that didn't frustrate me and actually produced good pieces of artwork. Its just later on the people at collge didn't really want that kind of drawing and wanted more observation drawing which i totally suck at.

i totally suck at observational drawing too.....I'll be drawing the pretty naked girl and stuff....and then my mind will totally trail off and one of her legs on my paper will suddenly look more like something entirely not a woman's leg.....some teachers will praise this creativity, and others will just give you a bad grade for not doing the assignment........but sometimes!! sometimes a prof. will take it as it is and be able to see the creative worth in it.....after all, some people only see a naked woman when they look at the models (or whatever else they have you observe...)

but yeah, i know what you mean...for animation programs and stuff you have to have all the correctly proportionate shapes and everything........i can't really get into the highly technical details of computer animation....i like to watch it for sure. .. i think for one of my art electives i'm going to take a stop-motion animation course!

do you have an art degree? or are you still in school?

....i don't see why it would matter to an employer looking for animators HOW you actually come up with a good illustration to be used as an animation.......even most illustrators work from copy-right free image banks.......i've always been aweful at drawing from life, for the most part....i've always seen it as a sort of spring board into other, more interesting ideas

Xercies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2008, 11:26 am

I am still in school and i don't particularly like to go down the art way...

Quote:
....i don't see why it would matter to an employer looking for animators HOW you actually come up with a good illustration to be used as an animation.......even most illustrators work from copy-right free image banks.......

i think the way it goes(and I'm not TOO sure about this but i think it might be the case) is that because your in the group you might have many people doing the moddelling and animation and if you get sick or take a day off work and someone does your model there not going to be able to tell what your making, so i guess they need a drawing there to get the feel of the model..or something like that.

stephaniecatherine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Aug 2008, 1:34 pm

Xercies wrote:
I am still in school and i don't particularly like to go down the art way...

Quote:
....i don't see why it would matter to an employer looking for animators HOW you actually come up with a good illustration to be used as an animation.......even most illustrators work from copy-right free image banks.......

i think the way it goes(and I'm not TOO sure about this but i think it might be the case) is that because your in the group you might have many people doing the moddelling and animation and if you get sick or take a day off work and someone does your model there not going to be able to tell what your making, so i guess they need a drawing there to get the feel of the model..or something like that.

yeah you're probably right...i have no idea how the whole animation studio thing goes.

so what are you in school for now? ...just curious.....this post has already gone from the original discussion to octopuses/octopi/octopodes to the original and now to this so may as well continue the random-ness trend :lol:

Xercies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Aug 2008, 1:41 pm

I'm doing a BTEC in I-media which is kind of putting in one Web design, digital graphics, 3D modelling and animation, and doing stuff for TV. So its kind of a dip selection and then once you go to uni you gather what dip you like speaclise in that...