Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 7:05 pm

Those pics are HUGE. I tried to resize but it didn't work, sorry.

MY son is doing this himself. I get confused with all that spatial reasoning stuff (I think I am seriously impaired lol). He is so good at this stuff. This coaster reaches five feet high when completed. He already made a knex car but I didn't take a picture of that. Thanks so 2ukenkerl for the advice on what to get Nate for his birthday!! He is having loads of fun!

I will continue to update this thread on his progress. I will also take some pictures of his other projects in a few days such as his big lego sets he has completed.

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 7:11 pm

SWEET! Your son looks quite young, so he must have a lot of tallent with structures!! !!

Tell him I said, "Way to go!" :D

GodsWonder
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2008, 7:23 pm

Thats awesome, I was in to that stuff when I was young too. I still like to do stuff like that except a bit more advanced.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 7:24 pm

He just turned five a few days ago. Yes, that is his talent and my weakness.

Get this, his FAVORITE tv show is HGTV because "I want to fix houses!" I think it's because our house needs some work and he wants to fix it.

Last edited by natesmom on 14 Aug 2008, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 7:31 pm

What great pics, he looks so proud of himself and so he should! WAY TO GO NATE :D

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 7:35 pm

natesmom wrote:
He just turned five a few days ago. Yes, that is his talent. This is my weakness.

Get this, his FAVORITE tv show is HGTV because "I want to fix houses!" I think it's because our house needs some work and he wants to fix it.

Freaking awesome. 8)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 9:36 pm

Adorable. I love seeing our kids in their zone.

Westkydad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2008, 5:01 am

Our 8 yr old son loves the K-nex units also...and amazes us slapping those things together in a very short time...your son looks like he is having a great time.

Westkydad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2008, 5:02 am

Our 8 yr old son loves the K-nex units also...and amazes us slapping those things together in a very short time...your son looks like he is having a great time.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 5:16 am

That's great. And a LOT is involved in homes, and Aspies certainly aren't limited there. So he could do almost anything there that he wants.

I wish him all the best.

leechbabe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2008, 12:02 am

He is doing amazing things there! Congratulations to you and your son.

mollyandbobsmom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2008, 12:21 am

I have ordered motors for the knex sets online to supplement the motors that come in the sets. Good for your kiddo! I love to watch them create and I wonder what's going on in my son's head when he does knex. no social skills but he could recreate the Sistene Chapel!

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:58 am

How long did it take? I loved this things when I was younger, copying from images already there was much more better than trying something from the imagination. Maybe get some images for him to copy to build more :D Encourage the boy

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 7:57 am

mollyandbobsmom wrote:
I have ordered motors for the knex sets online to supplement the motors that come in the sets. Good for your kiddo! I love to watch them create and I wonder what's going on in my son's head when he does knex. no social skills but he could recreate the Sistene Chapel!
LOL cute.
It is so amazing. The motors idea is a good one. I don't know if my son is at that point yet - maybe.

It took him about three hours to complete that so far because he had to prepare by setting out all of his bags, examine the pieces, plan ahead, etc etc. That is what takes him a long time. Thank GOODNESS he doesn't have my impulsivity :lol: I don't really plan things out; I just do it.

We have another knex set we got at the same time. It has a lot of pictures of how to make things. He has already made a car but needed a little help from dad because there was no step by step directions. My son prefers the directions as he seems to be a little anxious about not doing things the right way. If there were no directions, I wonder if he would make his own thing?

mollyandbobsmom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2008, 8:49 am

Quote:
My son prefers the directions as he seems to be a little anxious about not doing things the right way. If there were no directions, I wonder if he would make his own thing?

My son was like that in the beginning too--only wanted to follow the instructions and looked at the book for hours. now, he still looks at the book for hours and still makes a lot of what is in the books but he is more confidident in his abilities and makes the most amazing things from his own little brain. What a great tool k'nex are! My son also uses magnetex too. does your little guy? those are also fantastic.

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 2:04 pm

Those are so neat. My son would love them but there are so many little parts that my other son would love to swallow:( Nate does have a separate play room that is HIS ONLY so perhaps that still may work. I want some of those magnetix, too