Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 2:36 pm

She's a young cat and can't seem to keep any food down. This has been going on periodically and I can't get to or afford a vet right now. :(

I've tried soft meat and even yogurt to keep her stomach settled but she still [insert word] blood. I just got her not too long ago and she's pretty healthy other than that. No tumors or disease so I just can't figure out what to do.

Any ideas to keep her stomach settled till I'm able to get to a vet?

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 2:49 pm

Provide plenty of water?

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 2:52 pm

Not Bob!
I hope your kitty is going to be ok, you said something about blood, so I don't know if it was coughed up or pooped out, either is serious, and should be looked at, ASAP. It could be some sort of parasite infection like hookworm or roundworm, it is easy and cheap to treat.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 2:53 pm

Are you feeding her human food?

marieclaire
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2008, 2:57 pm

Perhaps go to a pet store and ask their advice. Another idea.. ring a few vets and tell them of your situation .. ask them if you can pay the bill back slowly, as you can afford it. Ring up an animal protection society - we have the RSPCA here. They may be able to offer some advice.
Is your kitty constipated, this could cause vomiting.

I hope kitty is better soon.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 3:36 pm

Do you sew or have any sewing needles around that your cat can get into? There are many cases of young cats eating these needles, most of the time they can actually go through the digestive system and into the litter pan without harming kitty, but I have seen cases where the needle gets stuck in the throat or stomach, and thus won't eat because it is painful and stip up blood because of the eternal bleeding.

If your vet dismisses a illness, ask for a x-ray. If it is a needle or any other forgin object, it will light right of in the x-ray.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 4:30 pm

I have plenty of water and make sure she gets that down even with a dropper if I have to.

No I don't feed her human food except the mistake of yogurt and milk which I've now stopped doing.

I would think it was pins and needles but this has been happening off and on. The only thing that kept from [insert word] was the antibiotics I was given to by the vet.

I just wonder if there's anthing that will subside the pain before I'm able to afford a another check-up on her like an X-ray. She's looking rather thin and I don't like to see her in pain.... :(

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 4:49 pm

MissConstrue, if anything happens, God forbid,
to your kitty, we will all be here for you.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 4:54 pm

^Thanks AnonymousAnonymous. I'm hoping it doesn't head to that. Honestly I don't know what I'll do if it is fatal, I've never dealt with death well in my life even when it comes to animals such as pets.

That's one thing I still struggle with accepting and that's the inevitable. Something I'm still not use to. :(

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 4:56 pm

If your cat hasn't eaten anything odd and anti-biotics hasn't worked, then blood-work and a
x-ray will be a must. I would go with the blood-work first because it is cheaper and and it can reveal a lot. Make sure the vet tests for liver and kidney function and red/white blood count because these seem to be a likely issue.

When it comes to money, many vets have payment plans, expecially if they care for the pet. I had one of my cats have treatments for liver disease and the costs ran up to 1200.00, but they allowed me to pay it so much a week. If they refuse to do a payment plan, ask them why and stress your concern... remember, vet clinics are also a business, and WILL want to keep a customer, threaten to spread ill words about their clinic, such as "I will never bring my pet here again" or "I will never recommend this clinic to anyone" the owner of the clinic sets the policies not the vet.

TRUST me on this, some clinics change payment policies baised on customer recations.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 7:38 pm

My cat vomits a lot. We still haven't found an exact cause yet but we give him treats that are supposed to help keep hairballs from occurring as often and they seem to keep him from vomiting. Our theory is that he eats until he throws up hairballs. I would say that the vomiting could be from a hairball but there is the blood too. It may not help the blood problem but maybe those treats can keep your cat from vomiting as much.

They are Whiska's Temptations.

Like I said, they may help stop or keep her from vomiting as much or they may not. Hairballs may have nothing to do with this problem but maybe they do.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 7:50 pm

Bloody, umm, excretions, shall we say, can be a reaction to new food, or they can be from worms. Either problem is easily fixable. If you have a shelter near you, they can usually direct you to free or low cost urgent care. Good luck!

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 8:13 pm

hmmm...I would ask the pet store for something until you can afford it
shop around, or call
some might have better food for your cat

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 8:17 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
^Thanks AnonymousAnonymous. I'm hoping it doesn't head to that. Honestly I don't know what I'll do if it is fatal, I've never dealt with death well in my life even when it comes to animals such as pets.

That's one thing I still struggle with accepting and that's the inevitable. Something I'm still not use to. :(

I've never really gotten over any of my pets or my dad's death. Death stinks.

Hope your kitty gets better.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 8:24 pm

Missconstrue,

Sorry to hear your kitty is sick. Hoping they find what is wrong and can make her better. It worries me when kitties get sick.

Major hugs for you and your kitty!

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 9:08 pm

MissConstrue.

Question.

What is the pet food (brandwise) you've been feeding her?

reason I ask this is because there was last year a recall of some certain pet food for both cats and dogs, my aunt's cat had to get kidney treatment shots because of something similar to this.

You might check to see what brand it is, then check the internetz and see if this was a recalled, if such, this is a lot more serious, because the problems that your kitty is facing is what Lizette was facing(my aunt's cat).

hope everythign works out.