Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

18 Aug 2008, 2:16 pm

Seeing the hate talk about it has made me want to see this movie just out of curiosity.
I can watch it online instead of in theaters at Movie Forumz.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 4:38 pm

Just to clarify, I believe the controversy surrounding this movie has less to do with an actor in black face and more to do with a ret*d character named "Simple Jack". A bunch of "special" groups are objecting to the portrayal, as well as the use of the word "ret*d". It's kind of ret*d to me, all they are going to do is give the movie free publicity... :lol: :lol:

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 4:56 pm

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:08 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Just to clarify, I believe the controversy surrounding this movie has less to do with an actor in black face and more to do with a ret*d character named "Simple Jack". A bunch of "special" groups are objecting to the portrayal, as well as the use of the word "ret*d". It's kind of ret*d to me, all they are going to do is give the movie free publicity... :lol: :lol:

maybe so, but my point is that that's how the boycotts for blackface started. At first all it would have done is make people more curious, like the boycott of this film is making people curious, but over time they got the point and learned why people thought it was offensive.

I think the use of the word ret*d is going to be akin to an actor using blackface in the future. Personally I don't want to watch the movie mainly because I've had words like ret*d and freak thrown at me enough that I do feel like it's akin to calling a black person by the n word.

And portraying ret*d characters may be a modern version of putting on blackface.

But if you want to see it that's your prerogative.