Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 5:45 pm

I've read a couple of reviews of this movie like this one:

http://www.film.com/movies/story/review-tropic-thunder-is-excellent/22258260

I wanted to say that I am an enthusiestof old time radio. For those of you that don't know, the show "Amos 'n' Andy" was a radio progra where the protrayal of black people is now considered offensive, mainly because of it's blackface humor. In the early part of the 2th century, using blackface in movies was not only acceptable, but in some cases preferred. Al Jolsom, for example, said he found doing offensive things easier when he put on blackface.

The reason I saw that is simple. Protests against "Amos 'n' Andy" started in 1935, against the radio show. The radio show itself was not pulled, but the same protests managed to get the tv show pulled in the fifties and reruns pulled from circulation in 1965. The reaction to the fact that people took offense at programs like "Amos 'n' Andy" were very much like the people who tell others that protest against "Tropic Thunder" to stop their boycott. People thought and continued to think thatm "Amos 'n' Andy" was ok. Personally I even saw references to people supposedly not having a reason to complain about that show in a book that was published in the 70's.

So what I'm saying is that I would encourage anyone who feels that the movie is offensive to boycott the movie, protest it, or anything else they can think of to show that they don't like th movie. If you don't feel that it's offensive, that's your perrogative, and it is besides the point. I wanted to encourage anyone that is trying to do something about offsensive scenes in the film to keep it up. We shouldn't expect an immediate change, but the changes that stopped the use of blackface didn't exactly take place overnight. I would like to encourage those that are protesting the move to continue, if for no other reason than that you're convinced that it's offensive.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 6:52 pm

I can't wait to see the movie!

Ben Stiller: Awesome.
And that thing of Robert Downey Jr. as a n***a, A-wesome! I even didn't recognize him in a pic I saw!

I hope it's great, and my opinion of people who THINK that it's offensive: Go see it FIRST, before judging.

Even God, he judges a man only at his last day.

Oh, and it makes fun of white people, they even need to make some absurd minority laws.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 1:07 pm

Can't wait to see this movie, I love Ben Stiller \m/

Also, don't know why anyone would be offended. I've never been offended when black people play white people in movies, heck, I'm not even offended by Michael Jackson ;)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 9:17 pm

I will wait for the DVD.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 9:38 pm

computerlove wrote:
I can't wait to see the movie!

Ben Stiller: Awesome.
And that thing of Robert Downey Jr. as a n***a, A-wesome! I even didn't recognize him in a pic I saw!

I hope it's great, and my opinion of people who THINK that it's offensive: []Go see it FIRST, before judging[/

Even God, he judges a man only at his last day.

Oh, and it makes fun of []white [/b]people, they even need to make some absurd minority laws.

Actually, my understanding is that there is a particular day when everyone will be judged together. I don't know whether in series or in parallel, but it would be all people together during the same period of time.

Movie sounds funny possibly.

Last edited by iamnotaparakeet on 17 Aug 2008, 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 9:39 pm

you know what I did when people told me to see Dark Knight

I saw Mamma Mia

I think I should see it again lol

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 9:44 pm

yes, do they call it 'viral marketing' or something, like word of mouth?

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 1:04 am

thanks notparakeet,
and maybe mentioning God is way over the top :oops:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 1:06 am

computerlove wrote:
thanks notparakeet,
and maybe mentioning God is way over the top :oops:

No, it's fine. If people have a problem, then they can get over it.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 5:35 am

Anyone have a problem with or boycott White Chicks?

I rest my case.

Besides, Downy's blackface isn't blackface.

For those of you who don't know, blackface was an old technique to avoid hiring colored folk in plays and the theater. The character would be played by a white person only in over-the-top make-up witch accentuated African-Americans' more prominent features.

They were portrayed as oafish, slow, undereducated and simple.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... stcard.jpg

Downy's character is being a black man with other black men. He's not poking fun at anyone.

Why am I explaining this?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 5:38 am

digger1 wrote:
Why am I explaining this?

If you don't know, then how should anyone else know? :shrug:

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 5:41 am

digger1 wrote:

Who are the White Chicks? Do you mean white females? How would I boycott them...?

ImTheGuyThatDidThat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 5:42 am

^
^

""heck, I'm not even offended by Michael Jackson :wink: "

:lmao:

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 5:52 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
digger1 wrote:

Who are the White Chicks? Do you mean white females? How would I boycott them...?

the movie and why did you make the letters bold?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 6:00 am

digger1 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
digger1 wrote:

the movie and why did you make the letters bold?

To emphasize the capitalization; I thought you were referring to white females in general. Sorry.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 10:01 am

I wouldn't be offended; they're actually making fun of blackface in the movie, how stupid it is. Much of the movie is a joke on Robert Downey Jr.'s character getting the procedure done to become the black character and then acting stereotypical. The idea is that he's being idiotic. So it's making fun of his ignorance, not making fun of black people.