Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2008, 10:39 pm

Hi
Is it worth getting the A+ exam for computer hardware and repair? how much does the averge computer technican make a year?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 12:45 am

I got an A+ years ago. It certainly did a lot for my self esteem and I could rate myself among others easily with the certification. It also helped me in my further certifications by training me on test taking for when I got my Microsoft certifications, as well.
Later, I taught A+ certs.

I have no idea what money is in it these days, seaweasel. I looked

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 12:47 am

I got an A+ years ago. It certainly did a lot for my self esteem and I could rate myself among others easily with the certification. It also helped me in my further certifications by training me on test taking for when I got my Microsoft certifications, as well.
Later, I taught A+ certs.

I have no idea what money is in it these days, seaweasel. http://www.peaktechnical.com/resources/salary.html is a salary calculator.

Ivanov_Kuznetsov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2008, 12:14 pm

CompTia A+ is a decent cert along with their Network+ cert. Certifications are always nice on a resume because it helps to validate and confirm good experience. There are NOT a substitute, however, for practical on-the-job experience. Microsoft tests are a bit more difficult, and Cisco certs are also more fun when you get up the tree beyond CCNA. If you like security, consider working for a bit with the practice then going for your CISSP. Computer techs here [florida] I've seen make anywhere from $8 to $20 per day. It varies widely depending on your skill set, your experience, and who you're working for, eg small business vs onsite consulting firm with a good reputation.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 12:33 pm

Ivanov_Kuznetsov wrote:
Computer techs here [florida] I've seen make anywhere from $8 to $20 per day. .

I hope you mean, per hour, perhaps?

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 12:44 pm

I got my A+ and mcse certification in 2000, its out of date now, and I am not bothering with re certification, biggest waste on money. I got my certification just as the dot.com bubble burst, any prospects I had dried up, and I ended up working in a call center called Convergys, they had different company projects, the one I was on was Hp Pavilion, that was doing technical support, at $10 an hour. and the reason Convergys had a call center in my city was it had a large supply of hi tech employees with no other job prospects, the company sucked the city dry, most of my graduating class were hired, but none lasted as long as me, 3 years.
Working in a call center sucks the life out of you, there is absolutely no prospects for advancement, unless you have a business degree, most technical people quit, discouraged by the treatment they received. Its all fine and dandy having an A+ Certificate, but save your money on the others, huge waste of money.

Ivanov_Kuznetsov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2008, 12:45 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Ivanov_Kuznetsov wrote:

Yes, thank you. I have not been sleeping well :(

Ivanov_Kuznetsov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2008, 12:46 pm

spudnik wrote:
I got my A+ and mcse certification in 2000, its out of date now, and I am not bothering with re certification, biggest waste on money. I got my certification just as the dot.com bubble burst, any prospects I had dried up, and I ended up working in a call center called Convergys, they had different company projects, the one I was on was Hp Pavilion, that was doing technical support, at $10 an hour. and the reason Convergys had a call center in my city was it had a large supply of hi tech employees with no other job prospects, the company sucked the city dry, most of my graduating class were hired, but none lasted as long as me, 3 years.
Working in a call center sucks the life out of you, there is absolutely no prospects for advancement, unless you have a business degree, most technical people quit, discouraged by the treatment they received. Its all fine and dandy having an A+ Certificate, but save your money on the others, huge waste of money.

You're right; call centers of any kind, mostly the outsourced ones, are dead end, soul-sucking monsters. However, if you're lucky to find a decent to low paying job on a private company's internal helpdesk which only involves dealing with the employees of said company, you're much more likely to move up, as confirmed by my own experience and the experiences of others.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 12:48 pm

Ivanov_Kuznetsov wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Ivanov_Kuznetsov wrote:

Yes, thank you. I have not been sleeping well :(

sorry to hear that., Ivanov

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 12:58 pm

I haven't been sleeping either, been up watching the Olympics till 4 am all week.
I was thinking of getting a help desk position in a smaller company but, there are no job prospects, because
of the constant supply of students, Edmonton has a big technical school, so its extremely competitive.

Ivanov_Kuznetsov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2008, 1:05 pm

spudnik wrote:
I haven't been sleeping either, been up watching the Olympics till 4 am all week.
I was thinking of getting a help desk position in a smaller company but, there are no job prospects, because
of the constant supply of students, Edmonton has a big technical school, so its extremely competitive.

As much as I hate to say it, social networking helps in this regard because word of mouth referral carries much more weight in a job interview than the objective consideration of a candidate. I'm not fully sure why, but I've seen it happen time and time again. Utility companies and hospitals seem to have reasonable turnover rates sometimes, so you might find luck there. Even if there are no job offers, it doesn't hurt to call and ask.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 5:20 pm

Still gotta do mine :(

Kiski
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Aug 2008, 2:16 pm

I got A+ (specifically Depot Technician specialty) back in May. I'm now working on my Linux+.

I think it's definitely worth getting.

Ivanov_Kuznetsov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2008, 8:51 pm

Kiski wrote:
I got A+ (specifically Depot Technician specialty) back in May. I'm now working on my Linux+.

I think it's definitely worth getting.

Linux+ not so much.. A+ and Network+ are good for computer technicians. Admins and junior admins usually are good to have MCSA/MCSE on a recent MS generation. Security professionals are good to have CISSP, and Security+ is NOT a replacement to CISSP. For the network guys and for security guys, Cisco certs are great, anything above a CCNA helps...