Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 8:13 am

seaweasel wrote:
I got
amd be-2350
960MB ram
64MB vram (sucks 64MB of system ram which is why i have 960MB ram)

I got this computer with vista but never bothered to install since i put mandriva on it the second it i bought it.

Considering the fact that your video card shares system memory, I really don't think that a deficiency of 64MB for Vista will hurt it's performance that much. It will probably run about the same as it would on a computer that utilises the full 1024 MB of system memory. --This being said though, I'm still not a fan of Vista.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Aug 2008, 6:44 pm

if you turn off the start menu search function and tranparent windows then it will, thats comparable to my laptops specs

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 10:11 pm

Vista doesn't need 1 gig of Ram to run smooth. My sister's comp has 768 megabytes of RAM and my other sister's comp had 512 megs of RAM. Both computers run great.

Paddy789
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Aug 2008, 10:47 pm

It's more GPU orientated if you ask me, especially when you turn on Aero.

Bit of off-topicness: The problem is that PC manufacturers never give their PCs an even half-decent GPU, usually a really sh***y low-end GPU that's usually can't fully handle even DX9 or integrated graphics. For example, I seen one recently that went for €1600 in a shop, had 2GB RAM, dual-core CPU etc. and.... had integrated graphics. Mine has a quad-core CPU with 4GB RAM and a nice GPU that'll keep it running for a couple of years game-wise; built all by myself for €1000. Add my monitor, speakers and the usual mouse 'n keyboard = €300 extra. A bloody bargain.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 11:28 pm

Paddy789 wrote:

Bit of off-topicness: The problem is that PC manufacturers never give their PCs an even half-decent GPU, usually a really sh***y low-end GPU that's usually can't fully handle even DX9 or integrated graphics. For example, I seen one recently that went for €1600 in a shop, had 2GB RAM, dual-core CPU etc. and.... had integrated graphics. Mine has a quad-core CPU with 4GB RAM and a nice GPU that'll keep it running for a couple of years game-wise; built all by myself for €1000. Add my monitor, speakers and the usual mouse 'n keyboard = €300 extra. A bloody bargain.

And a piece of fun to do yourself!

Paddy789
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2008, 6:41 am

It's only fun when your build runs smoothly, mine had faulty RAM at the beginning though.

Aaron_Mason
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 5:51 pm

Paddy789 wrote:
It's only fun when your build runs smoothly, mine had faulty RAM at the beginning though.

I've had that happen before. Thankfully it was an eBay auction where the guy had a return policy that included refunds. If you buy used RAM on eBay, insist the vendor test it with MemTest86+ - it is by far the most thorough test out there and it's free.

AS is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

I'm the same as I was when I was six years old - Modest Mouse

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 6:06 pm

Paddy789 wrote:

GPU has nothing to do with requirements. If you have a video card with 128MB Memory you'll be fine. You'll still be fine if you don't you just can't enable Aero.

Paddy789
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2008, 8:02 pm

My laptop has trouble with Aero, but Vista runs fast enough to do my required needs. With the latest drivers for NVIDIA's GPUs, they're implementing CUDA into the Vista enviroment I think, according to latest rumors. Probably crap, but I do see a massive performance boost lately after I updated my GPU drivers on my PC.

Compiz runs slower on my laptop at the moment than Aero. :?