Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

loudmouth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2008, 3:58 pm

As if Robert Downey Jr's character controversy wasn't absurd enough there's a new thing people aren't taking into context they use the "R-word" more s specifically to mock the notion that when an actor plays a mentally challenged character’s to get an Oscar.

now on MSNBC or what ever station the special Olympics president band one of their athletes speaking out why it's "offensive". normally I wouldn’t’ speak like this about another person with autism but she handled herself pretty well in a conversation .betweens special Olympics president and the athlete they shouldn't be speaking on behalf of "their people"

while I haven't seen the movie yet I looked up the scene and it is intact in the context of mocking actors and their roles sometimes. Personally I think it’s' a case of political correctness infecting the autistic community and now out of that principal plan on seeing it, What are your thoughts?

P.S. I do in fact classify political correctness as an infection but of the social kind.

JimmyNeurtonRules
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 4:49 pm

Like I said b4 it's total nitpicking. :roll:

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 5:04 pm

As I said on another forum:

This is ret*d.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 5:10 pm

There is always going to be somebody or group who's going to protest anything they deem objectionable, political correctness has gone to far, I say Fcukem! and the same to the word filter. :P

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 5:16 pm

As I said on another thread on this subject: Viral marketing.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 6:54 pm

I saw the movie this past weekend. I really liked it and thought it was very funny. IMO they were not making fun of mentally challenged people. But they were making fun of how hollywood uses mentally challenged people to make serious movies to show that it cares about things other then money.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 9:47 pm

I for one loved the film, found it one of the few truly funny films in a while. (I don't like Judd Apatow comedies.)

The controversy is ridiculous. People are completely missing the point of the film, which is to make fun of HOLLYWOOD. It's like the people haven't even seen the movie, much less pay any attention to the actual message.

In regards to the character of Simple Jack, it's not making fun of ret*d people. It's making fun of actors who do bad jobs of playing ret*d people.

And Robert Downey, Jr.'s character is obviously a parody of hardcore method actors and on Hollywood's insistance of casting actors as characters who are different races. I mean, Jake Gyllenhaal is playing the Prince of Persia in the Sands of Time movie.

Moose1132
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2008, 9:52 am

Veresae wrote:
I for one loved the film, found it one of the few truly funny films in a while. (I don't like Judd Apatow comedies.)

The controversy is ridiculous. People are completely missing the point of the film, which is to make fun of HOLLYWOOD. It's like the people haven't even seen the movie, much less pay any attention to the actual message.

In regards to the character of Simple Jack, it's not making fun of ret*d people. It's making fun of actors who do bad jobs of playing ret*d people.

And Robert Downey, Jr.'s character is obviously a parody of hardcore method actors and on Hollywood's insistance of casting actors as characters who are different races. I mean, Jake Gyllenhaal is playing the Prince of Persia in the Sands of Time movie.

Yeah I agree. It was clearing not making fun of people with autism, but the actors that play them to gain attention. It's very obvious after seeing the movie; it was all about making fun of Hollywood.