Do you still live with your parents and why?

Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 5:57 am

I do.

I'm 20 and in college. I live around 20 miles from a major university, and I commute there. By car... I have a car and a driver's license. I rarely drive anywhere other than school though. I don't like driving much, it's just that it's the only practical way of getting there.

At the time I started college I didn't feel ready to make the jump to living there. I was rather nervous about how I would deal with my personal issues sans parents (not something I am too worried about now) and also I really don't think I would be great at sharing living quarters with a random stranger.

In one and a half to two years when I have my bachelor's degree I would like to move away. Possibly far away... Decamping from the US is not out of the question. I would like to move out of my parents' house anyway, and making a clean(ish) break by moving a meaningful distance away.

Of course all this is highly dependent on whether I go to grad school, try to get a job, or what. Right now I have no steady employment or income (I do freelance work), which would obviously present difficulty were I to try living on my own.

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2008, 8:17 am

no,,,,,,,,,I don't live with my parents anymore.
but I am 52!! !! !! !! !! !

like me,,,,,,,,she had a dream to fly

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 12:07 pm

Yeah I still live with my parents. They insist I live with them coz it's both cheaper for me and they want company.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 12:33 pm

I can't drive, and I need someone to keep an eye on my spending.

29 Dec 2009, 6:32 pm

I moved out when I was nearly 20. Four years ago.

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2009, 9:14 pm

Do I still live with Mom and Dad?

Yes, by golly, I do.

Why?

I bag groceries at Market Basket for $9.50/hr, and usually work 10 hours a week, and can only get a sprinkling of extra hours here and there.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 9:32 pm

Yes, because I'm not legally old enough to live on my own.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 10:02 pm

I live with my parents part of the year and on my own inside a dorm during the school year. I still live with my parents because it would be ridiculous to find an apartment for tempoary while Im not in school. I hope to find an apartment after I graduate from college and moveout for good. Not sure how thats gonna go. Im kinda nervous about after college.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 10:40 pm

I'm 23, and I want to move in with my mom. She's old (especially for her age) and has difficulty getting around. If I were to move in, I could help her out. My sisters also don't visit very often (they're very busy), and I know my mom can get lonely very easily.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 10:45 pm

I never had the option of living with my parents as an adult.

My dad believed that kids should be self-sufficient by the time they enter puberty, and that having to provide a roof over our heads was a major inconvenience. He made it clear that my room would no longer be available for me to sleep in once I turned 18. (Not that he'd throw away my stuff, though. That was a surprise.) My mom would have let me stay with her, except she lived in a tiny studio apartment, and had no money.

So I joined the military. Hated it, but at least I wasn't on the streets. Of course, I had to take up heavy drinking just to be able to tolerate a series of roommates from hell. But at least there was a roof over my head. And I didn't have to listen to my dad's psycho-killer wife complaining about how my bad attitude aggravated her PMS. (I had to listen to my roommate telling her friends that, though.)

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 2:45 am

I live 3 hours away from my parents and rent a room .My parents live in Vegreville, and I am in Red Deer attending my second year at Red Deer College. I work part time after school and pay my own bills.My parents only send money for a gift so I can get a few dvds and they will be sending some money for a late Christmas gift so I can get a new tv. I own a vehicle and do have my drivers licence.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2009, 3:03 am

Yes. I am still an adolescent.

I am actually both afraid and excited about the fact that I will have to be on my own soon...