Do you still live with your parents and why?

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 2:51 pm

I'm 22 and I still live with my parents. I remember as a child saying "I can't wait till I'm 18 then I'm leaving!! !" The reason is the cost of living and since I don't drive and I don't want to do buses. Plus I kind of don't want to be alone (I pretty much do that now in my back bedroom.) :-) I was curious about other WP members. :-)

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 2:59 pm

No, not anymore. I'm 26 years old and living in my own apartment. I lived with my parents while I was in college, but was happy to leave after that.

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2008, 3:03 pm

Yes. I'm 17 so I shouldn't have to explain why.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 3:29 pm

Cool. Also why were you happy to leave? (As I said the financial cost for an apartment is alot!)

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 3:45 pm

DJRnold wrote:
Yes. I'm 17 so I shouldn't have to explain why.

Same here, too.

Also, I have no job or money to move out either.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 3:51 pm

I second the no job or money issue plus I don't trust being alone sure there are apartment areas where I say it'd be cool to live there (within walking distance of retail/theater) but they'd be WAY to expensive plus you have to factor in utilities (water,electricity,cable,internet etc.)

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 3:52 pm

I left home at 19, despite atrocious daily living skills (it's possible to get worse at them than me, but not easy).

My autistic brother (who has half-decent daily living skills but not great ones) left at 25.

My non-autistic brother (whose daily living skills are just fine) left in his thirties.

Interesting, that.

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

19 Aug 2008, 3:56 pm

Just moved out of my mom's this summer and in with my aspie boyfriend.

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 3:58 pm

yeah i am, i'm 25, and have been through several years of incredible depression after university ended....i was in no fit state to work or live on my own...

at the moment we are currently sorting out the funding for me to get my own flat and a care worker who can pop in an hour a day just to see if i'm doing ok, which will be nice. i'm pretty ok living with my folks at the moment, but it'll be nice to have my own place where i can play moderately loud music and have friends over.x

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 3:59 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Cool. Also why were you happy to leave? (As I said the financial cost for an apartment is alot!)

It was too stressful to live with my parents. My father is nuts and I got tired of being abused and controlled. I was also tired of never getting to be in a sensory suitable environment and getting to be me without pressure to conform to society's expectations. I had enough of that in the outside world. My home was supposed to be my refuge, but it never was, until I finally moved out. It was such a relief to finally reduce the stress in my life.

The financial costs are huge, which is why I couldn't move out as early as I would have wanted, but living on my own is totally worth the hard earned money. Luckily I am able to work (although it's hard on me) and can afford the cost of living independently.

Last edited by Amik on 19 Aug 2008, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kauf039
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Aug 2008, 4:02 pm

There are plusses and minuses to moving out.

Negatives

- less family support
- expensive
- having to keep on top of a LOT of different bills
- keeping up your living space (apartment, house, w/e)
- cooking for youself and eating right
- dealing with garbage, mail, neighbours, government, creditors (if applicable), landlord (if applicable), etc.
- keeping track of everything you need and prioritising what you need vs what you want
- taking care of any animals and plants (if applicable)

Positives

- personal space
- no one telling you that something has to be done a certain way
- there are deadlines for things, but for the most part you can go at your own pace
- personal space
- freedom
- no one touching/moving/using your stuff (I think that goes under personal space)
- the up you get from being able to do things by yourself
- not being a burden on others
- ...not to mention, personal space

I probably missed several things, but these were the ones that were on the top of my head. I don't believe I could live with my parents again for an extended period of time. I'm used to doing what I want when I want (with the exception of things like work that you have to do) and not having to worry if I'm doing things wrong because what I do will only affect me.

Just make sure that if you do move out that you have income to sustain you and preferrably some cash banked to fall back on if something happens or something breaks down.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 4:52 pm

I still live at home because I cannot afford to live on my own. I also have no girlfriend either, and I don't like living alone.
Kind of bad for being 40, isn't it.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 5:18 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
I'm 22 and I still live with my parents. I remember as a child saying "I can't wait till I'm 18 then I'm leaving!! !" The reason is the cost of living and since I don't drive and I don't want to do buses. Plus I kind of don't want to be alone (I pretty much do that now in my back bedroom.) :-) I was curious about other WP members. :-)

Same story, tho, I got used to buses at an early age, haven't any problem in that area. I've not a car, a job where my dad and my bro run the office, and a nice comfy life. I prefer to be alone however, just not on my own alone... Jeez, at 14 I was itching to get out, tho that was when my home was a hellhole... Now it's just tiny, thinking about renting a bigger house now. I'm calling the garage!

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 5:27 pm

I lived on my own in grad school, but I just finished, and am living at home until I get a job as a traveling speech therapist. Probably about a month or so more of living at home (hopefully no more).

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 5:32 pm

I moved out from my parents but now live with my brother temporarily.
It's great as neither of us attempt to parent one another or try to set rules.
My parents weren't bad either, but you know theyr still parents lol.
My mother never realised that she couldn't influence me and that i always did my own thing.
Living with my brother is much cheaper than living alone.

The waiting list for housing here in the area is between 3-13 years usually due to immigrants getting first dibs on them.
Plus with 16 milion in such a small area, theres not a whole lot of places that people are aloud to build houses on.

At first i was kind of afraid of moving out and looking after myself.
But you get used to the freedoms and are better able to shape your life.
Once your hooked you just can't imagine moving back in with the parents.
Not that they would allow it aniway, they have theyr hands full with theyr business.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 5:36 pm

When I'm not in college and therefore 3000 miles away from my parents, I live at home for the most part. It's really no use getting an apartment for three months, let alone for a week or four days. However, for one summer I did live at a friend's house because I had a job out near her. So it's not so much a dependency issue as it is just a practicality issue. When I go to law school next year, I'll be getting my own permanent apartment, though hopefully the friend I mentioned will be living with me there at a certain point. Oh, and I'll be bringing my old cat, so she'll keep me company too. :D