Do you still live with your parents and why?

Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 8:10 pm

I'm 22, and I still do because I'm kind of in limbo right now. I'm actually living in two different places. Away from home while at school, and home for the summer and vacations. I'm sort of straddling the line of independence.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 9:32 pm

I live at home during the summer months, and live on campus during the school year.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 9:38 pm

Yes I do. Because I'm still underage. But as soon as possible I plan on moving near OWA. I need to take care of him.

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Aug 2008, 2:35 am

no. i do not. but i would if they'd let me.

instead i live with, and am dependant on, a guy who fills the role of caretaker, as i am terrible with basic living skills.

Transcention
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2008, 2:54 am

I would almost definitely be living in a house my parents paid for and organized for me, if I didn't get married to a woman who pretty much took over all the things they used to do for me.

-Pay the bills
-Pay the rent/morgage
-Cook my food (Otherwise you can bet I would be eating at a restaurant or getting take away every single night. Trust me I would have no problems cooking for wife, if I could actually think straight long enough to do it.)
-Pay the lawyers when I would get into trouble (that would happen at least once every ten years, I'll probably never get in trouble now that I am married and have someone to ground me.)
-Make my doctors appointments
-Do Just about everything for me, aside from wake up and stumble through another day. (Then again she wakes me up as well, or else I would probably stay up all night and sleep all day.)

I am either in a state of writing, or I am in a state of waiting to get motivated to write. I'm completely mind locked into one state, or the other. There is no in between for me. I'm 33 and never held a job and have gotten to the point where it doesn't even phase me so long as I write a few passages of writing a week, or even a few passages of writing a month, or so. Or, even just manage a little bit of editing now and then. I stay home when my wife works to unwind and decompress after spending four days of the week hanging out with her watching movies and general larking about.

I'm pretty lucky though, between my wife's ingenuity and generally high Life skills and a little support from my parents I have a lovely home on the outskirts of the city in what could certainly be called the Aussie Outback. So I have nothing really around me day to day except birds, trees, peace and quiet.

Yeh cognitive/neurological disorders are always a bundle of laughs. The funny thing is, I wouldn't trade the way I see Existence for all the money and power in the Universe. Not if it meant giving up the way I see Existence.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 5:10 am

i do, i am studying part time at moment.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 5:29 am

Well I still live at home... but then again I'm only 19. I'll be commuting to college to get an associate degree of Cyber Security and Computer Forensics and then I'll be moving out once I finish that in 2 years.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 7:11 am

I still live with my parents. I can't afford to move out yet.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 7:22 am

With mummy, and I doubt it'll change for a long, long time (which I'm fine with). I look after the place outside to the best of my ability (property), and she shuttles me around and makes the food [and looks after the inside], plus we get along well (we always have).

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 8:08 am

If you can figure out a way to move out, in South Australia, with the current housing prices, as an anti-social, self-employed bastard, tell me.

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Aug 2008, 10:25 am

Ishmael wrote:
If you can figure out a way to move out, in South Australia, with the current housing prices, as an anti-social, self-employed bastard, tell me.

HEY! i know! you should just sue god. he's probably got money... oh wait. you thought of that already...

MeloJag
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2008, 10:37 am

25 and still live at my parents house for financial reasons. Got no job or money. In less than 2 years my dad is retiring and my mom works in retail so its no problem for her to move. When my dad is retired they are going to move down to a boondocksy place in a state like south carolina or georgia. So i can move down with them and live in their house or find a roommate and get my own place in the ny/nj region. I really really really dont want to move to the southeast (it just seems like too many close minded people down there and that is my #1 pet peeve with people) but i also think renting is a waste of money. SO, i dont know. I DO Want the experience of living in a place without my parents so i'll probably swallow the pill and rent.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 10:45 am

I live alone, without my parents. I find that I am MUCH happier and saner when living alone, or sometimes with a significant other who I get along with especially well . . .

By now, my family understand how important it is for me to have my own place. They're so nice and understanding that they help me pay my rent - I'm really grateful for this because I know it is not the norm.

My boyfriend is a lot like me and also prefers living alone. We may never live together. I think we'll at least wait several years before considering doing so.

It's an AS thing, but it would take a long time to explain the details of it. I just like a lot of stability in my living space. I get stressed out by minor changes like someone leaving something in a different place than I would have put it - and I'm not unusually tidy or organized. It's just the unpredictable changes that give me stress.

I can deal with these things when people visit for short lengths of time, up to several days, but I am generally more stressed and depressed when sharing my living space. Even when I've successfully lived with a boyfriend, I've had my own room.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 12:25 pm

I live with my mom (my father died of
natural causes many years ago)...largely
because I cannot afford to live independently yet.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 2:05 pm

Ishmael wrote:

It's pretty much the same here too. Bloody awful.

Transcention
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2008, 5:14 pm

Holy bejeezus. There really are people out there that suffer like I do?

Reading some of these posts is like looking in a mirror.

I'm just racking up a glass of wine to steady my nerves, so I can read the forums without my anxiety paralyzing my mind.

And so I can sit down and edit my writing.