Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 3:27 am

Hey folks, couldn't help but stop and stare at the blurb beneath the Work and Finding a Job section:

Quote:
When you grow up you'll be put in a container called a cubicle. The bleak oppressiveness will warp your spine and destroy your capacity to feel joy. Luckily you'll have a boss like me to motivate you with something called fear. Discuss work and your job in this forum!

I used to be petrified of having to find a job; I was in tears just going to Alpha Autism's employment building! That was until the start of last year when I decided to call up an Early Childhood Intervention centre that is just down the road from where I live. I asked if they could use a volunteer, and they said yes. Six months later they offered me a traineeship; I would do a year of part time (half a day a month!) of study to come out with a certificate III in Children's Services AND become a paid employee! They were willing to give me extra time and support to get me through, and a year later I am almost finished my study. I absolutely love my work; no cubicles, the 'boss' sits and chats over lunch with us, and as for bleak opression, well, it's kinda hard to feel opressed when you're dancing to the Playschool CD's or playing with shaving cream! I have made friends with the staff, one person in particular who mentors me and often helps me figure out things in my personal life, I enjoy working with kids (they aren't judgmental!) and especially there is a large number of children in the service on the Autism Spectrum; instead of being the odd one out, I'm in my element with people coming to me to ask for MY advice!

Now, I'm not trying to suggest that all you Aspies out there go and find work at an EI centre; it's busy, it's unpredictable, it's noisy and clearly not for everyone. I do however want to repeat to you what my mentor often says to me; there's ways and means. It can be really hard finding a niche, but they are out there so be encouraged that you don't have to just get by finding work you hate and trying to survive; there are places out there that are purpose built just for Aspies, and employers that will accept your quirks because they WANT your strengths!

So... anyone else have a job that they love? :D

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 3:41 am

I would love to work with children again!
love love love...
The only problem is that um...well....
I do have certain....problems...and
it is often difficult for me to communicate with my would-be bosses....
and
well..the time I did work with kids, my manager was this awful yelling monster of a woman..

The kids themselves were great though...and i have a natural repore with kids because I more-or-less am still a kid myself.

Ah....I have had a few good jobs....running my multi-purposed performance and arts space was rather nice..but it sorta spoiled me for normal work..

I can go into such sensory overload in front of boss and co-worker types....and it is so hard not to come across as an akward lunatic that I can olny work places where they seem to understand me and treat me as friends.

I sorta had that going at the ice cream parlor where everyone was younger than me and half the kids there were on ritalin....and they knew and were accepting of the fact that I had certain issues...and were very forgiving...

um......oh....I have made the best of most of the jobs i have...if I am unable to, then that means I am just unable to stick around for very long.
It would be nice to do fufilling work for a decent wage...but i don't really have the education for it... :?

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 4:53 am

I think I do. Especially because it's not boring. I easily get bored, people bore me, I like interesting people. As a researcher I work with people who are usually strange, in some ways. I get to travel a lot, which I like. Recently I have got to work with a stupid person for the first time. I came to a new position and this guy was supposed to train me. He didn't talk to me, though. When I asked something he acted like I was bothering him. He was very unpleasent. I wrote a letter for his boss complaining about his behaviour when it was too much, but I didn't show it to the boss, I showed it to this stupid guy and talked with him about his approach, I even yelled at him when he was refusing my point of view and from that point on he is very nice to me. It was like he was testing me how far he can go. I don't understand why some people are so pushy.

kathleenf
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2008, 9:43 am

PhoenixKitten wrote:
Hey folks, couldn't help but stop and stare at the blurb beneath the Work and Finding a Job section...So... anyone else have a job that they love? :D

I thought that quote was a bit disheartening too. I love my job. Maybe not every day but most days. I don't like having to do things that are "expected" of someone in my position. This mostly amounts to travel and attending trade shows. It takes me two weeks to recuperate. Maybe I shouldn't say "expected" of me. Truly, to be good at what I do, I really need to do those things. In many ways, I think it's good for me having to deal with the vagaries of my industry rather than going with my reclusive inclination.

Btw, I'm self-employed primarily as a technical writer in manufacturing. Unlike any other writer in my industry, I have a lot of production experience mostly as it relates to product design engineering which gives me an advantage. I need every advantage I can get since I hate rubbing elbows. Also, I kind of fell into this. It wasn't planned or anything.

Nikolai17
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2008, 4:33 pm

Well right now, I make video games...and I love my job. Essentially I usually have enough work that I can put my headphones on and just block everyone out for 8 hours a day and focus on getting stuff done, which for the most part I tend to rather quickly.

chrmitchell
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Aug 2008, 7:32 pm

I think the blurb is supposed to be funny and not anything serious.

I got the job I have right now through Vocational Rehabilitation. I make wooden toys and gifts at a local company called Maple Landmark. I often get to do new things because we often have to help in other areas of the factory. My supervisor and coworkers are also really nice and don't over-react if I have some kind of problem. The owner's also rather easy-going about if people need to take time off or need help.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 10:04 pm

I had a really good job experience once...but I wasn't getting paid. And it was temporary. I miss it very much! :( But, it's good to hear that you have a job you love, Phoenix. That's my goal, and I hope I get there soon!

ricecooker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Aug 2008, 3:57 pm

tomamil wrote:
I think I do. Especially because it's not boring. I easily get bored, people bore me, I like interesting people. As a researcher I work with people who are usually strange, in some ways. I get to travel a lot, which I like. Recently I have got to work with a stupid person for the first time. I came to a new position and this guy was supposed to train me. He didn't talk to me, though. When I asked something he acted like I was bothering him. He was very unpleasent. I wrote a letter for his boss complaining about his behaviour when it was too much, but I didn't show it to the boss, I showed it to this stupid guy and talked with him about his approach, I even yelled at him when he was refusing my point of view and from that point on he is very nice to me. It was like he was testing me how far he can go. I don't understand why some people are so pushy.

What kind of research do you do?