Is anyone else's Aspie child flat footed?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

lola1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2008, 6:07 am

Was quite a revelation to me, I knew he had trouble with running, jumping etc because he has dyspraxia but we joined him up at the Gym last week and his instructor said he has never seen such flat feet! It's not a hereditary thing, just curious to know if anyone else's child has flat feet.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 6:49 am

honestly, i haven't checked...... :oops:

lola1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2008, 6:57 am

No neither did I Ster!! He's nearly 16 and the Gym Instructor looked at me in absolute amazement when I said I'd never noticed! :oops:

ster
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 6:59 am

who would think to check???......your pediatrician, i suppose........my son had to wear foot braces at night when he was around 1 year old. doc said his feet turned in & would cause him to have an awful time walking, running

brightblue
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Aug 2008, 7:42 am

My sister had to wear the same foot braces ster mentions. I personally have "easily collapsable arches"- if I go without arch support for too long it hurts for a while and then eventually my feet are pretty flat. This was more of an issue when I was a child than now that I'm in my 20s.

My feet are ridiculously, painfully wide. Sometimes I feel like I could fit an extra toe on there. Forget about cute shoes... but at least I'm a great swimmer, what with these paddles!

Scoville
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Aug 2008, 9:06 am

I *am* the Aspie child, but I have very high arches. So, just the opposite.

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2008, 11:02 am

I'm an aspie with arches, my brothers are not aspies with flat feet, my ds is aspie w/ flat feet.

Sylvius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Aug 2008, 11:28 am

Maby aspies have unusual gaits, so that could contribute the the flattening of feet over time.

leechbabe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2008, 4:22 pm

My AS daughter toe walks constantly and we've got to get special inserts for her shoes to mimic the proprioceptive input of toe walking. She is only 3.5yo and has already damaged her muscles, we hope the stretches every 2 hours will reverse the damage. Thankfully she hadn't damaged the bones in her ankles.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2008, 2:16 pm

AAUUGH! I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE this laptop! I HATE WINDOWS and I HATE EXPLORER! On my beloved Mac, if I accidentaly erase something I typed, all I have to do is go to the Edid menu and click "undo". AAAUUUGGGHH!

Ok, now that that's over, ya, I lost my reply- entirely. I'm recovering from back surgery and on bed, so I've not been on my Mac for a month now. ~tear~ LOL!

Alright, flat feet: AS DH has them, AS father has them, AS father-in-law has them, My AS little brother has them. But ALL the girls in my family- 2 sisters, mom, mom-in-law, sis-in-law, aunts, and daughter have high arches and most of us have plantar fasciitis becasue of it. It hurts like Hell!

I ONLY wear Birkenstocks these days. Sandals whenever possible, and clogs in the colder months. They have "cured" my feet of massive problems that even custom orthotic insoles from a podiatrist could not. I have been nearly pain-free with my feet for over a year now. At one point it was so bad that I ws using a cane to help me walk at home. I had to rent a wheelchair when we went to Disneyland 18 months ago after the first day(in my custom orthotic insoled and podiatrist recommended shoes). I was in so much pain it was unbelievable.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 7:14 pm

leechbabe wrote:
My AS daughter toe walks constantly and we've got to get special inserts for her shoes to mimic the proprioceptive input of toe walking. She is only 3.5yo and has already damaged her muscles, we hope the stretches every 2 hours will reverse the damage. Thankfully she hadn't damaged the bones in her ankles.

At one point, I got similar inserts. My mother doesn't recall why though, and I don't either. BTW I don't have flat feet.

Jennyfoo,

I KNOW how you feel! NEXT TIME, if that happens, try hiting ctrl-z(press the Z key while holding CTRL down). It is a little known windows feature to undo a step. IF, for example, you select text(or windows decides to do it), and you hit a key(or whindows does it), ALL the text will be wiped out, and the new text will replace it. If you then hit ctrl-z, it may take things back to the text you had.

When I think of ALL the wasted time because of some IDIOT putting all those flaws in, and that feature not being EMBLAZONED everywhere, it makes me SICK! Since I found out about it, it has saved me DAYS of work.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Aug 2008, 8:06 pm

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 10:45 pm

Scoville wrote:
I *am* the Aspie child, but I have very high arches. So, just the opposite.

same here

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 8:32 am

My brother and I both have flat feet but we have never required any special equipment. Quite the opposite, we were told to wear shoes as little as possible. I do anyway because it's just more comfortable that way, and my son does now because otherwise he'd get dirty footprints on my furniture.

When my son was young he was very slow to walk (15 months) but this may have been because of low muscle tone, not flat footedness.

The only really bad thing that ever happened to me because of my flat feet is when I did cross country running in high school, I got shin splints really bad. I still can't run anymore because they'll start up again if I do.

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

22 Aug 2008, 2:50 pm

I'm an Aspie and I am flat footed.

laplantain
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2008, 12:44 am

My son looks like he has flat feet when he is standing, but when he lifts his foot up, he does have a good arch. He had to have inserts when he was a toddler because he didn't like walking otherwise (needed the input).