Page 4 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Scott_R92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Location: Ohio, in the depths of despair and the pits of hell. Charming, isn't it?

21 Aug 2008, 6:18 pm

[quote "Phagocyte"]
zen_mistress wrote:
I think this is a lot of the problem here. NTs perceive us as arrogant because we put our views out there when they are afraid to.. they think that such a person would believe they were always right, when actually aspies tend to also be seeking new information and viewpoints and dont believe we are always right at all.

Actually, most NTs don't even know about Aspergers, or know very little about it, let alone have preconceived notions or judgements about people with Aspergers.[/quote]

That is exactly what it is. Hardly anyone I talk to - Adult or otherwise - has any bit of a clue about Asperger's syndrome.
The thing I disagree with the most in this topic, however, is that Aspies are a sub-species, separate from NT people, or anything similar to such. It's no different than being right-or-left brained, or handed, or ambidextrous. We are mainly driven by logic, whereas some NT's are emotionally driven. We are far to the right; Completely logical, without emotion interfering with our calculations and decisions. This puts us at odds with emotional people; those to the left, who make a decision based on emotions and how this would make them feel or appear, which completely befuddles us, because logic is what determines a good decision, not how we feel about it. This is ultimately the difference; we want what is strategically best. Emotional people want what they like, no matter how inefficient, worthless, or meaningless. For instance, people like rabbits. I don't like rabbits because they are a pest to crops and are overpopulated. Other people like rabbits because they are cute. I find cute to be worthless in terms of logic, so I don't like rabbits, because they are vermin that eat my lettuce. Because I cannot escape the idea that I can only like it if it useful, I cannot grasp the concept of liking anything that is cute (outside of girls, but that's hormones)

Where are you on the spectrum?

Transcention
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2008, 6:21 pm

I can't stand discussions with people that arn't give and take.

I need to deal with level minded people who can have rational discussions without resorting to stubborness just for the sake of it.

Everything with me is about logic.

I found someone, my wife, who knows when to back off when I'm losing it. She knows how to bring me back from whatever dark recess I retreat to when I'm stressed.

I tend to surround myself with very particular type of people. But I have that choice in Life, not everyone can structure their world around them. Most people have to be able to cope with whatever Life throws at them. I can't do that I tend to shape the world around me the best I can so that I can work within it not the other way around. I certainly can't handle extremes of change in my Life.

It's all about give and take. Sometimes you'll freak out because people arn't behaving within the framework of logic you work within, if your mind is truely bent that way. That's when you learn who your friends and true lovers really are.

I don't think I could stand toe to toe with a neurotypicial completely bent on flaming me into the ground though. I couldn't stand toe to toe with a neurotypicial argueing a point of view they don't even believe in. I have to absolutely believe in what I am argueing about I have to believe that I am argueing for the side of right and good in the Universe. I just can't fake it. If I'm even slightly stressed out in the most tiniest fraction of a degree any neurotypical can flame me into into dust in an arguement. I tend to not hang out with those kinda people though, in fact I make it a rule to never allow people like that into my personal space.

8)

Programmer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2008, 6:25 pm

benjimanbreeg wrote:
bahaha, I read through it properly. If you followed those rules over here, you'd get the sh** beaten out of you! Aspie's probably get into trouble cause they don't know when someone is being sarcastic. Plus if you show you're upset, they just make things worse. So him saying to stay calm is about the only good advice he's given.

Actually the reverse is true. If you "submit" to a positional arguer you will eventually be either physically, financially or emotionally taken advantage of. You are seen as an easy mark. If it is your partner eventually they will dump you or you get fed up and leave. The correct way to deal with bully tactics is to stand up to them. I am not suggesting that you use these techniques in a bar or place where violence is likely to result if you get them wrong. This is for the emotional people that you are forced to deal with and there is no other way.

I reiterate I learned these techniques by observation because I had no other choice. They work for me. They should work for you.

ttyl

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 6:34 pm

Programmer wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:
bahaha, I read through it properly. If you followed those rules over here, you'd get the sh** beaten out of you! Aspie's probably get into trouble cause they don't know when someone is being sarcastic. Plus if you show you're upset, they just make things worse. So him saying to stay calm is about the only good advice he's given.

Actually the reverse is true. If you "submit" to a positional arguer you will eventually be either physically, financially or emotionally taken advantage of. You are seen as an easy mark. If it is your partner eventually they will dump you or you get fed up and leave. The correct way to deal with bully tactics is to stand up to them. I am not suggesting that you use these techniques in a bar or place where violence is likely to result if you get them wrong. This is for the emotional people that you are forced to deal with and there is no other way.

I reiterate I learned these techniques by observation because I had no other choice. They work for me. They should work for you.

ttyl

ok. Well yeah, standing up to people is good. But this doesn't just apply to aspies! It can apply to anyone, they might just be shy or unconfident. But the impression I get sometimes, is like you or others who start threads like these, are trying to gather troops for some cold war against NT's, lol.

Programmer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2008, 6:57 pm

LabPet wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:
the OP or anyone who takes notice of what he is saying. I've said before, I get pissed of when people talk about NT's like they are some different race. I hate the actual saying itself.

You have a good point; making the distinction between NT & Autist can be devisive and this isn't right. I am a scientist and therefore pragmatic. Further, I work in the neurosciences (I'm 1stly a chemist) so sometimes, in research/science, we will say, 'neurotypical,' or 'autistic.' But this is merely a defining point - not a value judgment. Much like saying, "Jane has brown eyes whilst Michael has green eyes."

Being a HFA is sometimes hard. I do have a sense of humor and I wouldn't ever want to hurt another by labeling. Even those whom I work with closely and very much like sometimes will 'joke' (lightly - in an innocuous way), about my autism. And this is fine. I think my sense of humor helps me cope! I do not have a 'fighting manner' at all and just don't. Sometimes this means I get my feeling hurt though and others who do not really know me can hurt my feelings badly.

But diagnostics should never be a target for teasing or putting-down anyone. I truly think one's intent is what matters, not if they make a mistake. Ill-intent is just wrong. Personally, I do try very hard. I would be really hurt if I felt I had disappointed someone, even accidentally.

First of all I love you Lab Pet :D You are the best.

Autism is a put down diagnosis. It is commonly referred to as deficit this and deficit that. Every psychologist I have ever heard talk about Autism talks about all the negatives. The savant part of autism never comes up. In fact the term savant was trashed by psychologists as being negative. Being really smart is actually bad. I guess most smart people end up being arrogant sooner or later. The smarter you are the more arrogant you become at least on the inside. How could you not become arrogant when the people around you stumble with problems you find trivial?

Autism is a gift. It makes you see things other people can't see. Connect things that change the world. Believe in yourself.

Don't believe me? Name any five scientists that changed the 20th century. Hey wait they were all likely / arguably HFA or Aspies. What a funny coincidence.

ttyl

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 7:34 pm

Scott_R92 wrote:
I don't like rabbits because they are a pest to crops and are overpopulated. Other people like rabbits because they are cute. I find cute to be worthless in terms of logic, so I don't like rabbits, because they are vermin that eat my lettuce. Because I cannot escape the idea that I can only like it if it useful, I cannot grasp the concept of liking anything that is cute (outside of girls, but that's hormones)

I can understand if someone is hunting a rabbit for food, or controlling the numbers on their farm. However, this guy was just shooting rabbits because he found it funny. I find it hard to understand that line of thinking, and I would feel the same if someone was being cruel for laughs to an un-cute animal, such as a weasel.

My mention of the cuteness was that I was trying to say that if he was going to tell an awful story like that, he should have made sure there were no females, who might have a particularly bad reaction to it. Many female brains are wired to recognise baby animals, and small, fat, fluffy shapes, so we would be encouraged to bond with our own baby.

Taking a break.

Last edited by zen_mistress on 21 Aug 2008, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Transcention
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2008, 7:36 pm

Oh yeh I completely forgot my own semantics in relation to cognitive/neurological disorders. I often think of my Aspergers as a Cognitive Anomoly, rather than a disorder. I havn't talked to anyone but my wife for quite some time and my thinking gets a bit fuzzy. I like that particular twist of semantics though "Cognitive Anomoly".

My spelling is off I know, I just can't focus enough to run everything I write through a word processor, not even a word processor as accessable as one in the cloud.

http://www.spellcheck.net/

Hey, I agree, neurodiversity is a beautiful thing, it's what makes Life and Existence what it is. Unfortunately for people like me at the very extremes of neurodiversity, mainstream culture just can't fit me in and I slip through it's cracks. It is easy for someone at the very extremes of neurodiversity such as myself to feel a certain amount of malice at being left out. All I want is a proper education and to be valued as an intellectual in my own right in mainstream culture. But I have learned to accept that humanity is not quite ready to fit people into mainstream educational instiutions, that are, let's face it of such high maintenence, such as myself. I mean I suffer so agonisingly and chronically from my cognitive/neurological condition that I literally need a curriculam designed around me and not the other way around. I have learned to accept solitude and I have learned to accept to a degree, that I will find it infinitely more difficult than the neurotypical person to fit in and function in mainstream educational institutions.

And that just breaks my heart because I want to study, I want to teach. I WANT, to connect with people. Sometimes though, in Life, you just don't get what you want.

I tried to tell a doctor that I might be gifted, and they immediately diagnosed me with narcissistic personality disorder and prescribed drugs for me that they couldn't possibly predict the consequences of me taking.

I think they didn't quite understand that I didn't want to disrupt my thought processes and lapse into a state of existential comatose, I just wanted to be able to function and work at a higher level free from my Aspergers/Twice Exceptionality.

I refused to take them and tried to explain my case, at the very height of my reason and rationablility to explain.

They were not moved, no matter how eloquantly, I argued my own individual case of neurodiversity.

My field of interest is religion, and more specifically theory that relates to how religions are actually written and theory that directly relates to actually transcending oneself from writing about religion to the proper way to actually write religion with the same level of perfectionism, exactitude and standards that any scientist or academic should demand of their own selves.

I use empirical data gathered from my own personal research of religions, to back up my theories, that have been written in the last one hundred years, from which I can actually gather hard data. F.B.I reports, biographies, historical accounts.

My problem is that I am an Aspergers Syndrome/Cognitive/Neurological syndrome afflicted intellectual from the very, extent of the most of left fields.

Nothing makes one feel as lonely as working out on the very fringes of what humans understand about Existence.

I am admittedly, an EXTREME case though.

This however, doesn't change the fact that I write religion, as a trade, no different from a plumber, who fixes toilets, has, as their trade.

I can't change who I am, and I would never want to. Seriously if your at such a far out level of existential crisis as I am what do you do? I mean aside from stop worrying about the fact one is not neurotypical and just get on with the freaken job?

It's probably cool if one isn't neurotypical and who's fixation is on something mainstream such as, building bridges, or designing software, but some of us arn't so lucky, people such as myself. Some of us, most probably those at the very the extreme ends of neurodiversity are not so lucky.

I think the key premise here is that "neurodiversity" is actually normal. But it doesn't make it any easier knowing that neurodiversity if normal if one isn't neurotypical. One still finds oneself in the same position, that being "totally screwed", unless one's neurocomplexity falls into the realms of being mainstream.

I just thought I would share my experience.

Transcention Universia.

Proof of Concept - http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74903.html

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 11:49 pm

I'm sorry but I am NT and I disagree with the below. I am also an INFP so I am a 'feeling' NT although I've had to develop an unnatural (for me) Thinking side due to living with a very shut down person for a while (marriage).

If you reverse what to do and not do above the lists you made, I'd more likely agree with you. Let me say why.

Quote:
I'll start with what not to do:
Do not argue logically.

Why, because NTs are stupid? We can certainly follow logic! There are many NT lawyers and judges for instance. NT mathematicians and philosophers. Maybe the key here is what you felt was logical - er, thought was logical - wasn't.

Quote:
Don’t fight to resolve the issue.

For me a discussion, even an argument IS about resolution. There is no other reason.

Quote:
Now let's get into what to do. All of this is observed from NTs behaviour:
1) Mock them. Most NTs will respond to mocking and back down. Fight is over

I think you need to observe a bit more, then. Most people absolutely hate being mocked, especially when upset. Someone making light of my emotions really upsets me and makes me feel unimportant to them.

Quote:
2) Talk quietly and Accuse them of losing control. "You are yelling and your hands are trembling again. You are losing control. You are just angry and not thinking straight."

If said in a patronising way this is also mocking. See above.

Quote:
3) Never admit you are wrong.

Why does seeming like an egotist win points with the other person? Trying to 'win' the argument for its own sake is pure egotism and I can't stand that.

Quote:
4) Change the topic to one where you are clearly right. “Remember when you didn’t call on Friday night and you were out late? How inconsiderate was that?” It is very important that you drive the topic to situations where they were in the wrong. Anything they say to change the topic should be ignored.

Not only are you recommending a double standard, but you are advising a very passive-aggressive stance. If you change the topic just to try to point out they are wrong sometimes, it's not only childish but counter productive. And if the other person is trying to find a solution to the problem at hand it's extremely annoying as well.

Quote:
5) Ignore anything they say. It is not relevant to the argument. Your goal is to win

Extremely childish. Why even bother talking to them if you're not going to listen at all?

Quote:
Please remember though that there are thinker NTs

Anyone familiar with Meyer-Briggs knows this.

I hope no one actually took your advice! Sorry, but I sooo disagree!

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 4:10 am

INFP ^ that is a pretty hardcore empathetic sign, I used to work wwith an INFP and she was very intuitive with people. I am an ENFP, but being an aspie I missed out on the social skills most ENFPs have, instead just getting the impulsiveness. Yay.

Taking a break.

Aquamarine_Kitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2008, 10:48 am

Popsicle wrote:

Quote:

:lol: It seems there are two defintions of NT that we need to keep in mind :lol:

The "advice" shown is not really advice, it is surprisingly common ways to be completely annoying when having an argument.

This annoyingness is not very widespread, but is common enough that a lot of us have probably been subject to this torture and so confused by it that it seems necessary to give these annoying arguments and its users a name.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 11:23 am

Popsicle wrote:
I'm sorry but I am NT and I disagree with the below. I am also an INFP so I am a 'feeling' NT although I've had to develop an unnatural (for me) Thinking side due to living with a very shut down person for a while (marriage).

If you reverse what to do and not do above the lists you made, I'd more likely agree with you. Let me say why.

Quote:
I'll start with what not to do:
Do not argue logically.

Why, because NTs are stupid? We can certainly follow logic! There are many NT lawyers and judges for instance. NT mathematicians and philosophers. Maybe the key here is what you felt was logical - er, thought was logical - wasn't.

Quote:
Don’t fight to resolve the issue.

For me a discussion, even an argument IS about resolution. There is no other reason.

Quote:
Now let's get into what to do. All of this is observed from NTs behaviour:
1) Mock them. Most NTs will respond to mocking and back down. Fight is over

I think you need to observe a bit more, then. Most people absolutely hate being mocked, especially when upset. Someone making light of my emotions really upsets me and makes me feel unimportant to them.

Quote:
2) Talk quietly and Accuse them of losing control. "You are yelling and your hands are trembling again. You are losing control. You are just angry and not thinking straight."

If said in a patronising way this is also mocking. See above.

Quote:
3) Never admit you are wrong.

Why does seeming like an egotist win points with the other person? Trying to 'win' the argument for its own sake is pure egotism and I can't stand that.

Quote:
4) Change the topic to one where you are clearly right. “Remember when you didn’t call on Friday night and you were out late? How inconsiderate was that?” It is very important that you drive the topic to situations where they were in the wrong. Anything they say to change the topic should be ignored.

Not only are you recommending a double standard, but you are advising a very passive-aggressive stance. If you change the topic just to try to point out they are wrong sometimes, it's not only childish but counter productive. And if the other person is trying to find a solution to the problem at hand it's extremely annoying as well.

Quote:
5) Ignore anything they say. It is not relevant to the argument. Your goal is to win

Extremely childish. Why even bother talking to them if you're not going to listen at all?

Quote:

lol, I couldn't agree more with you. I think some of the site idiots already knew about Programer's advice!

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 12:18 pm

Warsie wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Yd3FwJJ6w

There is area lot factual holes in that really. People publicly beat their kids a lot more in the past. There is still white people who beat there kids and black people who never beat their kids.

Slavery was widespread, but most of the slavers where in plantation families, or at least the upper middleclass who could afford it.

I lived in Jamaica as a teen. Culturally beating kids as discipline was seen as normal for most. It is actually quite a conservative island despite having a reputation as laid back. Of course you have you laid back types as well. But really this approach to thing came from the whole colonial history not just the slavery part. This was the same for white, Indian, Chinese Jamaicans. Corporal punishment was normal. In fact the middle class did set/impose a view about discipline (and many moral issues). The poorer areas it was much more a question of what ever the parents decided. A Rasta family might not be included to beat they kids but not all Rastafarians are so pacifist when pushed. They had public caning in schools. I doubt it has disappeared yet, and the use hanging as their method of execution.

In the UK there is a different approaches from second, third generation Afro-Caribbean, but nothing is a hard and fast rule. The Nigerian and other arfican migrants that have been in the UK less long may be a bit less bothereed about what people think about their approach to displining their kids.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 12:55 pm

I don't know. I am on the spectrum and I am very emotional, like fashionable clothing, want to be in shape. I don't like being labeled and stereotyped and expected to live up to those. I argue with NTs ALL THE TIME on a constant basis, lol. I never talk to them without having an argument unless it's some sales clerk who asks,
"How are you?"
and then I mutter a hollow
"fine, you?"
and that's the end of it.

It's because I know that person isn't interested. I know they aren't interested and don't know why they think I would need an insincere inquiry into my state of being. If they really wanted
to talk to me I wouldn't mind but if they are just going through the motions and I can tell they don't really want to talk to me I really wish they would just stay silent, and I would do the same.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 1:05 pm

yeah, thats just small talk, its annoying. But some of them might actually want to talk to you, its just an easy way to start.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 1:18 pm

JohnNorum wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
It seems to me that Aspies already have enough problems with being seen as annoying or arrogant; using a power debate style will only make it worse. I don't think the majority of NT's like the OP's wife.

Now we're talking! You have many interesting arguments. And I have some questions... :) First, what is an Aspie like?

OP seems to say, that Aspies generally are very modest, backs off easily, focuses on arguments and tries to treat the opponent with decency and respect. They have to become more arrogant and more self-assured, instead of focusing on the logic and arguments, to convince others.

You seem to say, that Aspies are generally quite arrogant, talking a lot, being very self-assured that their point-of-view is the most correct one or even the only reasonable one. They have to calm down a bit, talk less, listen more too others, being less pushy etc.

Two almost opposite views of Aspies. I think, that OP's view is more in line with my view of a "typical" Aspie.

Ah, well, the Aspie's I am most familiar with are the ones in my own family.

We have one of each, actually. One shy, overly respectful, who I've encouraged to take on more power positions (that would be my husband) and one very confident, strong self-image, overly prone to come across as conceited, even though he isn't (that would be my son).

But I still wouldn't advise my spouse to act in the ways the OP proposes. It's more about confidence, believing in himself, and conveying that, instead of feeling he always has to act from the lower position. When he gets angry or defiant it is quite counterproductive, because it is clear he isn't thinking straight.

The thing is, someone like my son so firmly believes he is right, and so steadfastly refuses to ever accept any opposing viewpoint as valid, that he risks being seen as unreasonable and, well, just a jerk. Fortunately his demeanor kind of counter-acts that, most of the time, but that isn't true for all Aspies. I've read many posts on these forums that sound very, VERY much like my son, and not my husband. That utter belief in what the poster is saying, and that there is only one truth. When you think that way, and speak from that vantage point, it IS going to be perceived as arrogant and self-assured, even if the speaker doesn't generally feel that way about himself.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 1:22 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
Phagocyte wrote:
zen_mistress wrote:
I think this is a lot of the problem here. NTs perceive us as arrogant because we put our views out there when they are afraid to.. they think that such a person would believe they were always right, when actually aspies tend to also be seeking new information and viewpoints and dont believe we are always right at all.

Actually, most NTs don't even know about Aspergers, or know very little about it, let alone have preconceived notions or judgements about people with Aspergers.

Yes but they do meet us out in the world and they tend to think we nerdy, odd types are being arrogant when in debate, whether they know about aspergers or not.

Exactly.

I would say it comes from the complete belief in logic, and that since your conclusion was logically reached, there cannot really be another valid one. Whether or not that is what the speaker believes, that IS what he conveys.