Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 1:44 pm

not trying to start a war, just wanna hear some views about it. Just saying cause a friend of mine read that, in a problem page where someone was complaining of anxiety attacks. The Problem page helper said that it could be due to being burned on a stake/steak in a previous life :lol:

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 1:50 pm

I think the idea of reincarnation is similar to the ideas of heaven and hell. They are both forms of control. Behave well in your life and you will go to heaven or be reincarnated in a "higher" form. Behave badly and you go to hell or get reincarnated as a "lower" form of life. The principle of Karma is essentially the same thing as reap what you sow.

In a word "Control"

As for the person with the panic attacks, such things are just likely to screw their mind up even more.

The only burnt steaks that disturb me are those served in restaurants.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 1:54 pm

It seems odd that you would go through many lives yet remember none of them. How pointless!

On the other hand, I have the utmost respect for the Hindu religion and agree with many Ayurvedic principles. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of why we wouldn't remember anything consciously....

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 1:55 pm

This idea is originated from Buddhism, right?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 1:57 pm

patternist wrote:
I just can't wrap my head around the idea of why we wouldn't remember anything consciously....

Maybe it is because there is nothing to remember? As in reincarnation in the sense of a specific soul migrating from one body to another just doesn't exist.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 1:57 pm

Quote:
This idea is originated from Buddhism, right?

I think some forms of Buddhism and most forms of Hinduism believe in reincarnation. As well as some African religions.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 1:58 pm

patternist wrote:
It seems odd that you would go through many lives yet remember none of them. How pointless!

On the other hand, I have the utmost respect for the Hindu religion and agree with many Ayurvedic principles. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of why we wouldn't remember anything consciously....

but I have seen before where people have been hypnotised and started talking like they were someone else. They were asked their name, and gave a totally diffeent one. Then when that name was looked up it was some person from the 18th century.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 1:59 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I think the idea of reincarnation is similar to the ideas of heaven and hell. They are both forms of control. Behave well in your life and you will go to heaven or be reincarnated in a "higher" form. Behave badly and you go to hell or get reincarnated as a "lower" form of life. The principle of Karma is essentially the same thing as reap what you sow.

In a word "Control"

I have to say that yes, I agree here, I find it disturbing the idea that if something horrible happens to you, it's because you are paying for what you did in a previous life, it would be like saying that anything that happens to you, you deserved it.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 2:03 pm

benjimanbreeg wrote:
but I have seen before where people have been hypnotised and started talking like they were someone else. They were asked their name, and gave a totally diffeent one. Then when that name was looked up it was some person from the 18th century.

I've seen some pseudo-science type documentaries with similar things. I'm not sure they hold much water, especially nowadays where everyone has seen movies or read books set in historic times. The imagination could weave a compelling past life experience.

I would be more convinced if someone under hypnosis started to fluently speak another language that they had never been exposed to. Preferably under controlled scientific laboratory conditions. One for the Rudy chap with the million dollars to give away?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 2:07 pm

another piece of fiction but there is a grain of truth in it with this: all that we are has been a part of the earth and universe for a long, long time. we're all just re-organized molecules that have been fairly eternal.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 2:08 pm

benjimanbreeg wrote:
patternist wrote:

See? This sort of thing is why I can't totally discount it. I suppose it's possible. It just doesn't make sense. Then again, look at the "homosexuality" thread. None of that makes sense either. Yet it exists. :tongue:

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 2:09 pm

benjimanbreeg wrote:
patternist wrote:

Some have revealed by hypnosis to have been abducted by aliens and even give some detail descriptions, as well.

One explanation given for this is, False memory implants.
Which is more reasonable for me to doubt such claims, from my perspective.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

skafather84 wrote:
another piece of fiction but there is a grain of truth in it with this: all that we are has been a part of the earth and universe for a long, long time. we're all just re-organized molecules that have been fairly eternal.

Yes, I think it goes even deeper than that too, but I'm not even going to try to attempt to explain what I mean by that.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

benjimanbreeg wrote:
not trying to start a war, just wanna hear some views about it. Just saying cause a friend of mine read that, in a problem page where someone was complaining of anxiety attacks. The Problem page helper said that it could be due to being burned on a stake/steak in a previous life :lol:

I am more likely to believe that anxiety is caused by things in the mind and the metabolism - changes in GABA, serotonin, etc.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 2:11 pm

benjimanbreeg wrote:

yeah, it's fake.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 2:27 pm

greenblue wrote:
benjimanbreeg wrote:
patternist wrote:

Some have revealed by hypnosis to have been abducted by aliens and even give some detail descriptions, as well.

One explanation given for this is, False memory implants.
Which is more reasonable for me to doubt such claims, from my perspective.

I'd place my faith in the subconscious to imagine these things under the power of suggestion. It's amazing the things we notice and don't register. It's amazing how detailed and realistic our dreams are when we are dreaming them. I'm not sure I would say it is deliberately faked. At least, not every time.