Abandoned baby whale might be put to sleep

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 5:17 am

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... index.html Why can't they just let nature take it's course? why do humans always have to interfere???

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 6:37 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/08/20/baby.whale/index.html Why can't they just let nature take it's course? why do humans always have to interfere???

Because it'd be crueller to let nature take its course. Though how you put a baby whale down humanely is beyond me.

On sabbatical...

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 8:02 am

What if this baby were human? I think it would be a different discussion altogether.

Aborting a human baby just isn't that big a deal. :roll: :roll: :roll:

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 8:24 am

Is this the same whale that was trying to suckle a ship?
It is a shame it can't be saved. I'm of the mind that the marine biologists must have good reason and if they could save it, they would.

I'm not sure I would draw a comparison between this and abortion. A more apt comparison would be pulling the plug on a failing preemie. Which is still sad.

M02
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2008, 11:05 am

I hope they can take the baby out to some other whales and it will get adopted. A female adult whale would hear it crying and come and help. Whales are clever and can communicate somewhat to each other by sound.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 2:00 pm

slowmutant wrote:
What if this baby were human? I think it would be a different discussion altogether.

Yes it would be a different discussion. Because it is not a baby that is being aborted it is a fetus. and also, they are not talking about aborting a whale fetus. They are talking about putting down a whale who thinks a yacht is his mother.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 3:59 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Yes it would be a different discussion. Because it is not a baby that is being aborted it is a fetus. and also, they are not talking about aborting a whale fetus. They are talking about putting down a whale who thinks a yacht is his mother.

Does the baby whale deserve to die or does it deserve to live? Isn't incumbent on us as human beings to protect life? I think it is. I think we ought to do everything in our power to ensure that this baby whale finds a surrogate mother.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 5:55 pm

It's literally up a creek without a paddle, and there is thought that its mother abandoned it. Unfortunately, it's too far away from any decent aquarium, feeding it will cause more problems than it solves, and do I need to go on?

On sabbatical...

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 6:19 pm

slowmutant wrote:
ShadesOfMe wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

Does the baby whale deserve to die or does it deserve to live? Isn't incumbent on us as human beings to protect life? I think it is. I think we ought to do everything in our power to ensure that this baby whale finds a surrogate mother.

Yes. I agree, they should do everything possible to find it a surrogate mother, and then putting it "down" would be the very, very, very, last option.

Chocobo
Butterfly
Butterfly

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 8:15 pm

This was a very tough call. Who's to say they didn't make the right decision?

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 8:20 pm

slowmutant wrote:

people say life is sacred

but kill thousands of animals every day
and let all those people in Africa starve to death
its only sacred when they want it to be
nuff said

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 8:25 pm

The animals we kill for food deserve some posthumous gratitude and respect. The American Indians actually worshipped as gods the animals whose flesh and hides allowed them to live. There's so much we can learn from aboriginal societies.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 8:39 pm

slowmutant wrote:
The animals we kill for food deserve some posthumous gratitude and respect. The American Indians actually worshipped as gods the animals whose flesh and hides allowed them to live. There's so much we can learn from aboriginal societies.

Unfortunately, I think this whale has been killed with more respect and kindness than most livestock.

On sabbatical...

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 8:43 pm

Livestock go through a mill. They are not slaughtered one-by-one. Thanks to Temple, the disassembly line is compassionate. A direct hit to the brain kills them instantly, no suffering.

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Aug 2008, 11:25 am

slowmutant wrote:
Livestock go through a mill. They are not slaughtered one-by-one. Thanks to Temple, the disassembly line is compassionate. A direct hit to the brain kills them instantly, no suffering.

It also happens to not be kosher.